barrylevine

Re: Appraisal/Body Work Recommendations?

Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:06 pm

I have a question re the windshield washer reservoir (mine apparently got cracked in the accident, as it has a fast leak now).

There was no separate listing for it at the PartSouq website (what a great resource), and it appears to actually be part of the cooling fan shroud in that illustration. Nor can I see any way of detaching it.

Is that the case (has anyone has replaced the fan shroud?)

Thanks all.

barrylevine

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:02 am

Just an update: Not so easy as in the video to remove the IMIEV's airbag.
At least on my 2016 model, I find that the airbag assembly appears to be retained by 2 phillips tamper-resistant screws (they have a center pin, and require a special bit.)

I don't know if this is typical of recent Mitsubishi cars or idiosyncratic to the imiev.

barrylevine

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:09 am

Replacing the steering wheel airbag looks rather simple, if it's at all like the Mitsubishi Galant - just 2 torx screws:

It is the same. At first I couldn't find the L. side torx at first because the steering has to be straightened out for both screws to be visible. Duhh!
Last edited by barrylevine on Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Don
Site Moderator

Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:11 pm

Are they really Phillips head, or (more likely) tamper proof Torx screws?? The make 'tamper proof' Torx screws which have a little pin in the center, so a standard Torx bit won't fit. The special tamper proof Torx bits have a hole drilled in the center to accommodate that little pin. You can buy a set of the bits fairly cheaply from Lowes or maybe NAPA. They come in the same sizes as regular Torx bits - T-10, T-15, T-20 etc. Ask if you're unsure

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon
2006 Itasca Navion Sprinter Motor Home

barrylevine

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:46 am

Don wrote:Are they really Phillips head, or (more likely) tamper proof Torx screws?? The make 'tamper proof' Torx screws which have a little pin in the center, so a standard Torx bit won't fit. The special tamper proof Torx bits have a hole drilled in the center to accommodate that little pin. You can buy a set of the bits fairly cheaply from Lowes or maybe NAPA. They come in the same sizes as regular Torx bits - T-10, T-15, T-20 etc. Ask if you're unsure

Don

Actually, they are regular torx screws. At first I couldn't find the L. side torx at first because the steering has to be straightened out for both screws to be visible. Duhh! Pulled off the old airbag this a.m.
Here is a list of Mitsubishi cars with what appears to be the same driver side airbag configuration as the IMIEV. I looked up images of various Mitsu cars interiors on Google, and it was pretty obvious which airbags were the same.
Lancer 2008 - 2017
Pejaro Sport 2009 - 2015
Eclipse 2016
It's possible that some models vary, though.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”