2012 Raspberry i-MiEV, thinking of buying this

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinglyfeet

https://www.carmax.com/car/17571708?adcode=EM_XFERE1&utm_campaign=CRM_XFER_E1&utm_source=CRM_XFER_E1_ViewCarLNK&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=CRM_Reserved&sn=17571708&name=Mecca&scname=&scemail=&scphone=5184526810&sccopied=N&sc_cid=emxferlp&loc_num=6049&gcid=

I hope that link makes sense after I post this, I'm new here. Hello! I dont know how links work with this forum.

Anyway. I have my eye on this 2012 ES model. I guess it's been upgraded with a quick charge. I'm going to get more information on it soon.

What would be a fair price for this car?

I'm so excited to join this exclusive community!

Happy driving!
-M*

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us

Most 2012's sell in the $4,500 to $5,500 range, depending on mileage and condition - CarMax probably paid the owner less than that when they acquired the car, but they usually mark them up substantially for resale

Quick Charge was a factory option on some ES models - Guarantee you nobody added it later. The ES was the 'base' package - No alloy wheels, no fog/DRL lights, cheaper upholstery and audio system. The other models were the SE (which strangely never came with QC) and the SE Premium which did come with QC, Nav and the premium sound system - All models except the ES came with alloy wheels. Used iMiEV's seem to sell for similar prices, no matter which model they are, so if you don't end up buying this one, look for an SE Premium and expect to pay about the same price

It looks like CarMax replaced the tires on this one and I would look at those carefully. The preferred Dunlop LRR tires which will give you substantially more range than most any other tire are $600 per set, so you can probably guess those won't be the tires they chose - I would knock off a few hundred if you find it has any other tires. I'd knock off another $500 if the car doesn't have the factory remote control it came with - Those frequently get lost in previous transactions. Those two would be good bargaining chips should you decide to try to get them down in price

Good luck with your purchase! - Hope you get the car at a good price

Don

Wow Don, thank you so much for the information!!!!

I found another MiEV near me, the same model, going for $5,295 and it is confirmed to have the quick charge upgrade.

I'm going to take a look at both of the cars and go from there.

I've honestly never been more excited to buy a car, this is my first EV and everything about it fits my lifestyle.

I feel very armed and ready to go into negotiation battle now thanks to your knowledge, you da best!

-M*

Hi tinglyfeet,

Another option that you should consider if you are looking to purchase a 2012 SE is this one in SoCal:

https://www.southcoastmitsubishi.com/vehicle-details/used-2012-mitsubishi-i-miev-es-costa-mesa-ca-id-31100131

It is a low mileage SE premium with QC and the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin from MMNA so that you could qualify for the $7,500 federal tax credit to offset most of the $7,800 purchase price.

sheinr4143 said:
It is a low mileage SE premium with QC and the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin from MMNA so that you could qualify for the $7,500 federal tax credit to offset most of the $7,800 purchase price.
Eh? The tax credit is only for new cars.

Yes I was under the impression that used cars don't get the rebate, but perhaps this car was never actually sold to anyone?
In that case it might still be eligible for the rebate.

I would have to ship it to my location, which would be a considerable amount of money.

Here's another thought....isn't it bad for EV's to sit around not doing any driving? I read somewhere to not let them be stagnant for over two weeks.

With only 800 miles on it, it would be assumed this car has been sitting for a very long time. Unless someone just kept it plugged in all the time, the batteries would be compromissed, would they not?

But hey! Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it. Keep em' coming.

In the meantime I'm going to go test drive the one I found closer to home.

I'm a very short/petite person (I'm a tiny 4 foot 11 inch girl) do you think I'd be comfortable in one of these things?

I know the steering wheel isn't adjustable, I might have to drive with a booster seat!

:)

-M*

*If* it was still eligible for the tax credit, the seller would have to be an idiot not to take the credit himself and then sell the car, which is nearly new for the $7,800 he's asking . . . . so I think it's safe to assume you couldn't get the credit

As to the condition of it's battery - That would depend on how and where it was stored. Mitsu says for long term storage you should leave the battery at around 40% SOC which I suspect it's unlikely has been done for all the past 7+ years, so while the battery may test OK, it's not nearly in as good shape as it might have been if it was properly cared for

Don

Thanks Don, that's what I was thinking.

I got a bluetooth OBD reader so I can hook any car I test drive up to it and see the battery read out.

Thanks to the awesome app, that apparently a forum member developed?

That's so cool! I love techy stuff like that, and if there is something wrong with the battery there's another bargaining chip!

I'm assuming most dealers don't really know much about EV's yet so if you go in there confidently you could probably make a pretty sweet deal.

Not to mention the MiEV's are already so inexpensive!

Back