ed5000

Car Now Charging! (was Car Not Charging)

Sun May 26, 2019 4:48 pm

I guess it's my turn for the charger to not work.

When I plug the evse in, I do not get the battery fan cycling on like I normally get and I have a yellow error light on the dash of a little car and exclamation sign. Then I tried my OB2 scanner and that doesn't work. The scanner tries to link and after a while I get a "not linking" error on my scanner.

I checked the 12 aux battery and it seems fine. It was 12.6 volts at rest with the car being off for a while although I'm thinking of going out and getting a new one since this one is about 4 years old.

Any ideas?
Last edited by ed5000 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 ES, Cool Metalic Silver, no quick charge, no fog lights and no navi but a cold weather package for when it gets 13 below, wait - it never gets that cold here.
"Silver Shadow"

kiev

Re: Car not charging

Sun May 26, 2019 5:50 pm

20A fuse blown in the Motor Control Unit;
snubber caps blown in the On-Board Chargger.

i have the same problem, trying to come up with a easy solder solution for the caps.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

ed5000

Sun May 26, 2019 8:05 pm

kiev wrote:20A fuse blown in the Motor Control Unit;
snubber caps blown in the On-Board Chargger.

i have the same problem, trying to come up with a easy solder solution for the caps.

I was just reading about the 20 amp fuse. Ok I'll check that and look into the snubber caps.

Btw: I found a 151R battery at Walmart for $119. Was surprised they even had it.
2012 ES, Cool Metalic Silver, no quick charge, no fog lights and no navi but a cold weather package for when it gets 13 below, wait - it never gets that cold here.
"Silver Shadow"

Phximiev

Sun May 26, 2019 8:10 pm

Inasmuch as the blown board may be due to past sudden disconnects or power outages at the plug, would putting in a UPS for the charger make sense?

On a similar note, I went to the May Phoenix Electric Auto meeting held at Gruber Repair in Phoenix. They repair Teslas of all kinds including the Roadster, S an X.

See: https://www.facebook.com/events/gruber- ... 777824689/

And: https://www.gruberpower.com/tesla-ev

It was just excellent. Mr. Gruber discussed their extensive efforts in repairing Tesla boards of all kinds. As part of the discussion, he summarized their observations as to Tesla ”caps”, which he stated would not last more than seven years.

Since we seem to be seeing similar ”cap” failures, I wondered if there was published anywhere a max lifetime for the ”caps” used in our cars?

Any thoughts?
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

ed5000

Sun May 26, 2019 9:18 pm

Thanks, Kiev. That was it! A blown 20 amp fuse in the MCU.

Now I have to look into the snubbers
"Silver Shadow"

kiev

Mon May 27, 2019 6:09 am

Phximiev wrote:Since we seem to be seeing similar ”cap” failures, I wondered if there was published anywhere a max lifetime for the ”caps” used in our cars?

Any thoughts?

i found a Vishay datasheet for some high voltage ceramic disk caps, HVCC series, such as used for snubber caps in our OBC. It listed a performance test for life time of 1000 hrs at 1.5 times rated DC voltage with max current of 50 mA. They are rated for much higher voltage 10-15kV vs our 2kV.

Electrolytic storage capacitors seem to have limited age, i suspect them to be leaky after 7 to 10 years based upon my experience repairing TVs in the old days...
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

coulomb

Mon May 27, 2019 10:53 pm

This datasheet seems to indicate that the 50 mA maximum is only for various tests, e.g. dielectric test and lifetime test. Since they mention X-ray and other high pulse power uses, I assume that they are fully capable of taking many amperes, perhaps hundreds, from short pulses, since that is presumably what we want them for.

Edit: sigh. Re-reading what you wrote, the figure is indeed about a lifetime test. Hopefully they will last a lot longer than 1000 hours at 360 V; I certainly expect so.

ed5000

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:18 pm

Charger Working!

It was the right snubber capacitor and the 20 amp fuse exactly as kiev mentioned. My dad helped me out by soldering in a new one.

Thanks to everyone who posted on this subject. It was a big help!

There was a youtube video that was helpful too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63ZWosSyq7Q
"Silver Shadow"

jray3

Re: Car Now Charging! (was Car Not Charging)

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:42 pm

Congratulations and very impressive! I'm sure glad I kept a failed OBC on hand, to attempt the now 'cheap and simple' repair documented in that video. This community has reduced the repair cost from over $4000 at a dealer to $400 from a junkyard, and now down to $20 worth of parts. 8-)
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 105,400 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

ed5000

Re: Car Now Charging! (was Car Not Charging)

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:29 am

jray3 wrote:Congratulations and very impressive! I'm sure glad I kept a failed OBC on hand, to attempt the now 'cheap and simple' repair documented in that video. This community has reduced the repair cost from over $4000 at a dealer to $400 from a junkyard, and now down to $20 worth of parts. 8-)

Thanks, Jray3

I was trying to go the junkyard route at too but there are not too many out there now. The first junkyard was trying to sell me an MCU and calling it a charger. The second junkyard tried to sell me a charger that looked like the eddy current bolt was removed plus there were clear signs the lid was opened and the car was a non collision car meaning the car may have been brought in because a lack of a charger? Then there was one on ebay for $900. I think the whole junkyard industry is onto our little problem now and is trying to cash in.
"Silver Shadow"

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”