Viper remote start successfully installed.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gorfllub

Installed a Viper alarm/start combo into my '12 today. Works fine and dandy.

Of course by remote start, I mean "ready" mode. So if you want to turn on heat or AC without being plugged into the charger, it can be done. Of course it will suck battery juice like madness!

Also have smart start cell control with GPS tracking plus additional circuit kill. So even if someone has a valid programmed key, the car wont "start" unless disarmed by the viper first.

Now most of you will ask "why?". "Because I can!" is the main answer. However I will use it later to trigger the diesel heater when it arrives. Also I read that some of you have an android device and OBD module set up to access canion when vehicle is charging or running. Well, activating remote start would power everything up for you to check without charging.

Could also use outputs to trigger all kinds of odd things. Like charging on/off. But instead of a tiny bit of range, this remote is rated at max 5000 ft. And the cell module is of course "unlimited" range if in a service area.

I really want to get it to trigger heat/cool while actually charging. The OEM mits remote doesn't reach the car from my workstation. But all that stuff is on the network. Will need some CAN experts to help out with that part. (Down the road)

Note that this will draw around 30ma off the 12v battery. And since that battery is tiny, this can be a problem if you park for extended periods of time without a battery tender. This brings me to a question..... If plugged in, but charging has ended, will the car kick charging back in if it detects low voltage on the 12v battery? Or does the car not monitor that at all unless running or actually charging?

I will probably tie this to a separate 12v system along with other items like dash cams. Have the separate system charge whenever the car itself is charging. The rest of the time its disconnected from the main battery. Then have a "charge" switch to bring the aux batt online when driving if I want to put some charge on it when I know I don't need max range from the car.

Gorfllub, thank you for this and your other mod posts, and discussing the possible other uses for this installation.
Gorfllub said:
...This brings me to a question..... If plugged in, but charging has ended, will the car kick charging back in if it detects low voltage on the 12v battery? Or does the car not monitor that at all unless running or actually charging?
Unlike a Tesla, our i-MiEV doesn't monitor our 12v battery and wake up to recharge it. Only when charging the main battery or when in READY is the dc-dc active and recharges the 12v battery.

Someone please comment on the accuracy of this sentence:

After the car stops charging even though plugged in (either because it is full or turned off via Remote), the dc-dc is also turned off.
Gorfllub said:
I will probably tie this to a separate 12v system along with other items like dash cams. Have the separate system charge whenever the car itself is charging. The rest of the time its disconnected from the main battery. Then have a "charge" switch to bring the aux batt online when driving if I want to put some charge on it when I know I don't need max range from the car.
Sounds good to me.

Hmmm.

The Viper actually has a low voltage start mode with programmable set point. So it could be set that when voltage of the 12v system drops too low, it will put the car in Ready for a pre-programmed amount of time. Assuming the car isn't plugged in.

Gorfllub said:
The Viper actually has a low voltage start mode with programmable set point. So it could be set that when voltage of the 12v system drops too low, it will put the car in Ready for a pre-programmed amount of time. Assuming the car isn't plugged in.
Interesting that this capability even exists, especially for ICE vehicles. For myself, the only time I would be worried (since the i-MiEV is a daily driver) is when we go away for an extended vacation, in which case I always attach a float charger - thus no need for this capability. Also, uncontrolled, that could potentially suck down the main pack.

Low voltage start has been available in the higher end viper (and other Directed brands) for probably 10-15 years or more.

It's just one of those things that 98% of people wouldn't really need. And the other 2% that need it don't know it exists because sales people are often terrible.

You can also do timed starts and tempurature starts. Hot or cold. All built right in.

And / or you can also get a low voltage alert through the app and then manually trigger a start if desired.

But yes, battery tender or on-board 12v charge makes more sense. I just like to do things "because".

I once added a power hood release to a car that I could pop from the transmitter, only because I had extra outputs and wanted to use them for something.

Back