Cold weather folk..... Heated windshield?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gorfllub

For all those living in cold areas such as myself...... Any interest in a heated windshield?

Over in Europe these are common on many vehicles, but are generally limited to high-end brands here in North America. (Like Jag and Land Rover)

I actually work at a ford dealer and developed one for the F150.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQW2I62msog

12v heated with internal micro-grid. On the F150 (which is a large windshield) the unit draws about 32A at 12v full output. A frozen windshield defrosts in about 3-4 mins.

The Miev would draw less and of course we could use PWM to further lower the output. (On the F150 its just on or off)

They aren't exactly cheap, but would extend winter range by not using the heater as much to keep the windshield clear. Of course a fuel powered heater is also helpful.

The drawback is they are pricey. And would need to make about 35 units at a bare minimum. Say around $800 USD delivered in USA/Canada.

But I suppose most people are going to use a fuel heater in these cold climates. That's what I am going to do, but I would install a heated windshield in it too once the original one breaks.

Thoughts?

This is OEM type, exactly. Micro fine grid in the laminate between the 2 panes of glass.

The people that it bothers are probably in climates that aren't as cold or don't ever park outside. I can tell you that anyone else that lives in a cold climate and parks outside, they love it.

Stick-on is lame.

That's like saying.... "why buy alloy wheels? You can get hubcaps that look cool" Not even remotely close.

Gorfllub said:
Thoughts?
You think you could actually have 35 units custom made for only $800? That seems like an impossibly low price! I forget just now what others have had to pay just to get the stock windshield replaced, but it's not that much cheaper than that

But, if I lived in a cold climate an had $800 to spend, it would be on a fuel heater for sure - That warms the whole car, saving battery power as opposed to using battery power just to warm the windshield

Don

Yeah, $800 no problem.

Like I said, did it for the F150. We sell for $1200 CAD. (Or about $900 USD.)

Since the Miev is smaller, it will (should) cost less as the manufacturer pretty much prices by surface area + the heating grid.

On the flip side, if they already have a mould for the Miev, plain windshields would be super-duper cheap. Except shipping is the expensive part.

If they don't currently make them aftermarket, I would have to ship an OEM one overseas for them to copy. That is probably the worst part of it all. Last time I shipped a windshield air, it was like $2600 just in freight. Pallet is reasonably priced other than it has long lead time.

But I do agree about the fuel heater. Ill be ordering one this weekend. I'm not going with a timer though, just a switch type. Then wire my remote starter into it to trigger remotely from a fob or from cell phone. It has its own timer. Switch in the cab will be tied to a "ready" circuit so it will automatically shut down with key out if I don't turn it off manually.

I'll also be able to get AC to run remotely, even if not charging.

Back