Strange things with quick charging

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the treshold value of max allowed battery temperature? I had longer journey and used fast chargers. Max temperature I got was 41,7 C (107 F). The cooling system turned off when car reached 71 percent of charge.

The temperature sensor measurement range is -30 to +85 C.

If the sensor detects > 60 C, then it causes the cooling fan to turn on and run for 10 minutes. This is considered an abnormal high temperature condition and will throw a DTC to the EV-ECU and a MIL to the dash.

During level 1 or 2 charging the pack fan is used to circulate air to keep temperature below the control limit.

During level 3 charging the AC system is added in to circulate chilled air and provide additional pack cooling.

Maybe with canion you can discover these temperature limit values.

I made some notes during my travel. Distances between charging were 50-65 km. I was driving in the highway 70-85 km/h
Starting temp.: 23,8 C
After first charge: 27,1C
-
Before second charge: 28,5C
After second charge 34,8C
-
Before 3rd charge: 34C
After 3rd charge 39C
-
Before 4th charge: 38,3C
After 4th charge 41,7C
-
After 5th charge 41,1C

If I undestand soccectly that when battery temperature is bellow 39C, car AC system shuts down at 60 percent of charge.
Above shuts down at 71 percent

My AC system never shuts down during QC. It runs all the way to 90-95%, when the car charges no more on Chademo.
The highest temperature I observed on a single cell was around 47º, and a pack average of 38ºC. This was after multiple QC and highway speeds of 95-100km/h.
Since I made the trick to direct A/C to the battery during regular driving, this prevented temperatures from rising even more. If I set A/C to max I even get a significant temperature reduction between each QC.

To: rnlcarlov
Your solution is very interesting.
Could you give some more information how you directed A/C system and how it works?

I don't use QCDC very much. Just don't need to in general. Recently I did use a different one than I had in the past. Same unit but a different location. The one I used to use occasionally has been out of order for 6-7 months (really). The old one would deliver 125amps this other one seems to be throttled back to about 12kW ~36 amps. Anyway pertinent to this thread at the lower charge rate the AC does not run at all even though battery cell temps are on par with previous summers. :roll:

Thinking there must be some charge rate cut off for incorporating the AC like PV1 has postulated.

Aerowhatt

Aerowhatt said:
Anyway pertinent to this thread at the lower charge rate the AC does not run at all even though battery cell temps are on par with previous summers. :roll:

Thinking there must be some charge rate cut off for incorporating the AC like PV1 has postulated.

Aerowhatt

Only on some cars, probably. If I start a charge at 80%, the charge rate is quite low, but if the battery is hot enough, the A/C comes on.

Back