A New Tire For Us!

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JoeS said:
Any problems with the stability control system kicking in when pushed on curves?
Not that I've noticed, but it's the wife's car and I haven't driven it very far, nor very hard. The tires are the correct size, so I don't think it should be an issue

When she had the flat a few miles from home, I ran over with a jack and one of my spare Miata wheel/tires (a 195/55R14) and put that on to get it back home. Driving it with the regen not working at all because of the incorrect sized tire was an experience. Every once in a while, it would kick in and slow when I lifted, but 90% of the time there was just nothing . . . . just like being in neutral. Too bad there in't an easy way to disable regen when you want to without having to manually shift it into neutral, which is a real pain . . . . especially if you're driving in B mode all the time. Since the drive modes are all switch selected, maybe it could be done with an added switch??

Don

So i signed up for an account on Amazon so i could order this tire that Don found, first time Amazon order for me. i'm sitting around waiting and don't see or hear anything, no sign of it. Then i think to go check the amazon account and it indicates it was delivered the previous day to the front desk and signed for by GRAHAM at 9:54am.

Well the shipping address is not a business but my residence, someone was home at that time and never heard a knock or doorbell, and there ain't no front desk or anybody named GRAHAM live here..?

So Amazon gives me the runaround every time i contact them: first told i have to wait 36 hours before they will let me report this, then told i have to wait 3 business days before requesting a refund, then i'm told UPS investigated this and claims that they did indeed deliver to the correct address with GPS data to prove it..! Huh?

But they won't show me the data and no explanation was given of who GRAHAM is, and how come they let him sign when his name ain't kenny? How about a refund? Oh no i'm told, first you must file a police report and send in a valid report in order to begin processing a claim for a refund.

So that's my first and last order from Amazon, and i'm not going to ever use UPS again either, and i'm gonna tell all my rowdy redneck friends to take their business elsewhere too.

Strange that Amazon isn't being better about this. Telling you to call the police for a package that was signed for someone else is absurd.

This is probably too obvious, but did you verify that you entered your full address, without any typos? I've shipped many things for my business over the years, and I have occasionally made the mistake of missing a "North" or "South" on an address, mixing up street numbers, etc. A couple of months ago, a shipping company dripped the "W" from the address to my factory--and the poor trucker was driving around on the "E" street before calling in desperation.

Something that you can also do is to check for similar addresses on Google Earth--and then call those locations if they are businesses. I recovered a miss-delivered box once. Driver error, but I did manage to get my stuff without having to fight UPS over it.

Good luck!

That is truly unfortunate!

We've had the same UPS driver for several years. He knows to deliver all packages to the side porch and if we're not home, he sets them inside the 'people door' of the garage, which we leave unlocked just for that purpose

I didn't have to sign anything when my tires were delivered, though I did get one a day before the other, which was a bit odd

We have never had an issue which wasn't quickly resolved. When I send something back, we have a UPS store 3 miles from the house

Pretty hard to blame Amazon for this - I don't see how they could have prevented whatever happened or how you could expect them to be responsible. I think your complaint is with UPS and they should show you where your tires were delivered to and who signed for them

We've been Amazon Prime members for many years and they truly are a great company to do business with. Very easy to return anything you bought that you don't like (and on their dime too!) and any issue that they were responsible for has always been worked out 100% to my satisfaction. We order from them once or twice a week on average and it's either UPS or the mailman who delivers depending on the package size

Sorry you had a problem and hope it eventually gets resolved to your satisfaction

Don

Don said:
That is truly unfortunate!
Pretty hard to blame Amazon for this - I don't see how they could have prevented whatever happened or how you could expect them to be responsible. I think your complaint is with UPS and they should show you where your tires were delivered to and who signed for them
It's actually pretty much always the shipper's responsibility to deal with mis-delivered packages, since they have the contract with the shipper. Amazon needs to do battle with UPS and sort this out. A possible exception would be if the address was entered incorrectly by the recipient.

My address is listed correctly both on the Amazon account and on the package tracking information at UPS.

i did an address search for possible businesses with the same house number. i called and visited half a dozen auto repair, tire, brake, and oil change businesses within a 5 mile radius and none of them had anyone named GRAHAM working there, much less at the front desk.

Well how about some front tires--has anyone found a good source for a 145/65-15, or tried to run a 155/60? i have cords showing on an outer edge so i'm parking it for awhile.

kiev said:
My address is listed correctly both on the Amazon account and on the package tracking information at UPS.

i did an address search for possible businesses with the same house number. i called and visited half a dozen auto repair, tire, brake, and oil change businesses within a 5 mile radius and none of them had anyone named GRAHAM working there, much less at the front desk.
You've done more than most people would. Sounds to me like the ball's fully in Amazon's court. Very disappointing that they aren't just sending you some replacement tires already. Maybe you can challenge them through your credit card company?

kiev" So that's my first and last order from Amazon said:
Sorry to here about all these troubles! I hate UPS, feel pretty safe with amazon though. Many orders over a number of years. UPS delivered my sons new mountain bike to neighbor 5 houses away. Claimed that their GPS showed their house as mine. Lucky for me the neighbor was an honest upstanding sort and called me from the ph # on the label. Fed-ex is much better and USPS is the best IMHO.

Aerowhatt

I see they have tires that just about fit every car I have, I wonder how much range loss they will cause?

Sucks that amazon fights you over delivery problems, my moms package almost got returned due to needing a signature and they only tried delivery once, we had to pickup at the depot and they had it lost and mislabeled there too.

Honestly I think the signature garbage causes more problems than if they just left it at the door.

Tire Rack has the Continentals for the front - $85 each . . . . or, the OE Dunlops for $141 each - Your choice :shock:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=39532&width=145/&ratio=65&diameter=15&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

Don

Don said:
Another tire for us!

We're having our driveway poured with concrete and Carolyn brushed up against one of the form boards and poked a little hole in the sidewall of a rear tire. The Dunlop Ensaves are $148 each from Tire Rack and to be truthful, I've never been in love with Dunlop tires anyway, so I got to searching again

Her tires were the originals that came on the car (made in 2011) so it's no big deal that the tire is ruined - I was going to replace them shortly anyway. I put 2 new front tires on this car a few years back when I hit a chunk of asphalt that fell out of a truck immediately in front of us, causing a blowout, so new rears are all we'll need for now

Anyway, I found these Achilles tires in 175/60R15 from Amazon and they are supposedly rated LRR and for $100 less per tire than the Dunlops, they deserve a chance (in my book) so I ordered a pair. Saved me about $200!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Achilles-Sport-Performance-Radial-Tire/dp/B00GOXWCPS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1528581063&sr=8-2&keywords=175%2F60r15+tires

Don

So now that you've had these Achilles on for a few months, are they about the same range? I live in Las Vegas, so no real issue with snow or rain, just dry hot pavement and a lot od A/C use so range is most important thing. The current OEM dunlop tires are at 4/32" - Discount Tire says they should be replaced soon. I think that they can probably be driven until bald but that scares my wife who does most driving.....
Walmart has the achilles for $47 with free shipping https://www.walmart.com/ip/Achilles-ATR-Sport-175-60R15-81H-SL/346770366
the full description says "Achilles ATR Sport 175/60R15 81H SL". Sold by Fastlane tires - same seller as on Amazon for the same price.

One review on Amazon Link: http://a.co/d/36nB07L says the tires he got were made in 2014, so 4 years old already. I don't know how much that affects the age of a tire (especially if it's kept in a warehouse and not outdoors). He felt tire only had 2 years of life left because of age. What was the date on the ones you bought?

The $45 Achilles that I received were a pretty recent build date. They're pretty quiet with the curvy "aquatread' style deep tread blocks, and I have high hopes for their wet performance... like that'll matter in Vegas. My range has gone down, but I'm comparing to an old set of Enasaves that were just about bald, and ran the first couple weeks of the new tires at 32psi. Plus I was very unscientific about it, replacing the front tires at the same time with new Continentals....
There's a "more money than sense" family on you Tube that posts waay to many Tesla non-adventures, but they recently ruined a good Model X tire to demonstrate the foam pad that's glued to the inside of Tesla tires. Anybody researched adding that feature? Ensasves sound like a snare drum on our rough roads... Here's an epic thread where some TESLA owners added the foam. Final conclusion after multiple attempts (with instructions in post #236) was that after some short term successes, the foam eventually debonded and created a bad tire imbalance...
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/diy-solution-to-deadening-tire-noise.38598/page-8

I think they missed the boat, and just need a donut cut out of the foam that includes a dense vinyl layer, with an inner diameter slightly less than the rim's and an outer diameter of 15 " or slightly less, to simplify tire installation. Stretch that puppy over the rim so that is clings to the inner rim diameter like a rubber band. That'll absorb both the sound waves resonating inside the tire (like a pillow in a bass drum), and also the vibrations being transmitted by the wheel through the hub and bearings. There's a foam fabricator nearby that I'll try, but unfortunately am now probably almost two years away from needing any more i-MiEV tires..

another tire that I found for super cheap is at Pepboys. Its the Sunfull SF688. Its $36/each.
https://www.pepboys.com/sunfull-sf688/product/1392124?tab=tab4

not many specs on Pepboys site, but manufacturer's page at http://sunfull-tire.com/details/sf-688.html has this for specs:

Tire Size Sidewall Load Range Load Index SR Rim S.W. O.D. Max. Load Single Maximum Pressure Tread Depth Road Condition UTQG

175/60R15 BLK - 81 H 5J 7.0 23.30 1019 44 10 M+S 400 A A

looks very comparable with same Outside diameter as Dunlop. Anyone tried them or seen them in person?

Yes, the snow tires have remained a bargain for these cars. I can only guess that they were over-produced and need to dump aging inventory. Please let us know what your date codes come in at.

DougC said:
Under $42 per tire after rebate, not bad. I hope they are decent tires.
If you read the reviews, people seem to like them in the snow, but not so much in the rain or dry. Loud, don't wear well, increased stopping distances, little traction wet or dry - A couple reviewers couldn't wait to get rid of them

I think you get what you pay for when you buy winter tires for everyday use

Don

JoeS said:
Don said:
I think you get what you pay for when you buy winter tires for everyday use,
Yeah, but at a quarter of the price of an OEM tire I'm willing to make some sacrifices. :roll:
We'll have to agree to disagree there, Joe. I'm as much a miser as most people on most things . . . . love to save a buck almost any where I can, but when it comes to tires, I'll pay the extra to stay safe - They only gotta help keep you out of the ditch one time in a bad rainstorm and they're worth 5X what you paid for them. As my ole granddaddy always said, "Tires are cheaper than fenders!"

Don

What's a rainstorm? :? In a couple of months I'll put one of my windshield wipers back on. ;) My relatively-new Blizzaks will do for now, awaiting that white fluffy stuff that hasn't been seen here since around1974. I'm older (but not necessarily wiser) and gone are the days when I crossed no-speed-limit Nevada in my 1962 Austin Healy 3000 on retreads. :roll:

Back