Our Gas Free Miles Travelled

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My little i-miev passed 100,000 km today. It's been about 3.5 years of gas free driving for me. I live in coastal BC so I still have my original tires and wipers. Both will be replaced this year. Only issue I've had is a persistently squeaky disc brake, and just last week my AC stopped working.

Pete

Phximiev said:
Here, here! We've had the 'Miev for two years and two days and put on 26,500 miles or so in that time, trouble-free as well. Works out to about 36 miles per day, which is fairly ordinary for the average US driver.

Happy New Year!

:D

Now three years and driven it right at 38k miles or about 35 miles per day average.

Hope everyone is looking forward to a Happy New Year!

On a somewhat related note, I just figured the break even point for my Christmas delivery trip of a used i-MiEV to my mother.
Pulling it there with my old diesel F250, I got as low as 11.4 mpg towing the EV to Colorado and then 15 to 18 mpg on the unloaded return, when the normal minivan pilgrimage averages 24 mpg. That’s 104 gal of unleaded vs 166 gal of diesel,
104gal*19.6 lb CO2= 2038 lb CO2
166gal*22.4 lb CO2=3718 lb CO2
So, 1680 extra lbs of CO2 to deliver mom’s Xmas gift. However, she’s now driving on sunshine rather than coal-fired gasoline, so it’ll balance out within only 1286 miles compared to dad’s 15 mpg in-town Ram Hemi pickup!

Considering it’s already racked up over 300 miles in Colorado, the payback should be swift!

jray3 said:
. . . . she’s now driving on sunshine rather than coal-fired gasoline
A new term . . . at least for me

Google and Wikipedia were no help - Care to explain? :D

Don

Don said:
coal-fired gasolineA new term . . . at least for me

Google and Wikipedia were no help - Care to explain? :D
"coal-fired gasoline" is a term I use to reflect the fact that the energy inputs for refining gasoline rarely come from the crude oil itself. (yes, even when you see refineries flaring waste gas, they are drawing from the grid). In most regions, the average 8 kWh of electricity that it takes to refine a gallon of gasoline from light sweet crude (much more for tar sands bitumen) comes from the same grid mix that local communities draw from. For instance, the refineries in Bellingham, WA that turn Alaskan crude into gasoline for the Pacific Northwest don't run on the clean hydropower which surrounds them, but are 59% fossil-fueled, mainly from coal boilers all the way over in Montana!
It is a big issue for EVs and a simple fact that universally advantages EVs. Consider Don on the Gulf Coast, where his Pascagoula-refined gasoline is energized by a dedicated natural gas cogen facility. That plant has flares burning 24/7, but relies on the steady flow of pipeline gas for it's electrical turbines.
http://pascagoula.chevron.com/abouttherefinery/default.aspx

This basic claim should hold; "An EV uses less electricity overall than any equivalent fossil-fueled vehicle." Consider that conservative 8 kWH/gallon figure. Our i-MiEV at 258 Watt-hrs per mile can drive 31 miles on the electricity required to refine a single gallon of gas. With the average US vehicle still only getting 24 mpg, that means we've driven circles around the gasser before they even crank it up and start spewing exhaust. I haven't run numbers on an energy hog like Ahnold's Electric Hummer compared to a Gen 1 insight, but that's how extreme it'd have to get for an EV to consume more electricity than a gasser.

Gotcha!

It was the 'coal-fired' part that threw me - They don't burn much coal in Seattle to generate electricity and as it turns out, not much longer in Denver either

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/09/03/colorado-coal-future-xcel-energy/

Don

Phximiev said:
Phximiev said:
Here, here! We've had the 'Miev for two years and two days and put on 26,500 miles or so in that time, trouble-free as well. Works out to about 36 miles per day, which is fairly ordinary for the average US driver.

Happy New Year!

Now three years and driven it right at 38k miles or about 35 miles per day average.

Four years and 47k miles! And hope again that everyone is looking forward to another Happy New Year! :D

Phximiev said:
Phximiev said:
Phximiev said:

Happy New Year!

Four years and 47k miles! And hope again that everyone is looking forward to another Happy New Year! :D

Five years and just under 51k miles!

RR today = 50 after a full charge. :roll:

Canion ah: 29.1 as of the last screen shot a month or so ago. :roll:

In any event, hope again that everyone is looking forward to another Happy New Year! :D

Bear has around 46,000 miles. Koorz is at 25,000 (bought with 19,300 miles on it), and my Bolt just turned over 23,000 miles. So, that's a total of 74,700 electric miles in my fleet over the last 7 years.

We’ve done about the same over 5 years. Our use of the iMiev is down somewhat because everyone here prefers the Volt, which now has over 60,000 miles.

One particular observation is that even with greater mileage, the Volt shows no traction battery degradation.

I'm also at just under 51k miles but in 4.5 years. My car had 2100 miles on it when I bought in in 2015.

I just transferred to a new job location in San Leandro, which is about 4 miles from home. I don't even have to get on a freeway which works really well with this little car :D . I love it because I really don't need to plug in but once a week. Before I had to plug in every night although one time I did drive to my old work twice without a charge (forgot to plug in) and made it home the second day on turtle which was the only time I ever been on turtle in this car.

Our little car, 2012, has about 46,000 miles too! I think it usually still gets about 62 RR when fully charged, it's been a while since I fully charged it. Mostly not freeway driving, so that may affect the RR positively.

Jenn

Phximiev said:
Phximiev said:
Phximiev said:

Five years and just under 51k miles!

RR today = 50 after a full charge. :roll:

Canion ah: 29.1 as of the last screen shot a month or so ago. :roll:

In any event, hope again that everyone is looking forward to another Happy New Year! :D

Six years and 53k+ miles.

RR today and chilly for Phoenix: 51.

Not as much usage due to COVID.

Hi,
This Car is not economical !!! They simply shift the gasoline costs that the gas station takes to the manufacturer (In this case Mitsubishi ) !
The charger goes bad after 8 years or so and you must pay 4000 euro for another! The battery must be changed after 15 years or so and cost until yet 10.000 euro! Is that no Green driving thanks to Mitsubishi ?????

Bear crossed the 50,000 mile mark on February 25, 2021. In second place, Photon has 35,000 miles, and Koorz has 26,300 miles, but had 19,000 miles on when I bought it.

Throw in about 1,000 miles behind the wheels of other EVs (mostly a Tesla Model S), and I’m close to 100,000 miles of electric driving since 2012 when I first drove a Nissan LEAF.

I drove my 2012 Silver I-Miev for nearly 60,000 miles for over nearly 6 years and the only thing I really paid for was for 6 tires, a 12 volt battery, a key, and an MCU fuse. Since I park the car in covered parking at home or work I'm still on the original wiper blades. For fuel I have solar but, even before that my bill never really increased much after I bought the car. It was almost undetectable.

For repairs Mutsubishi took care of it under warranty or recall. For the on board charger I repaired it myself by carefully following the instructions of a few very helpful individuals on this group (Thanks!).

I don't think you can get any more economical then that without having to pedal something yourself.

You were lucky to repair it yourself! My problem with my OBC is not 2 blown capacitors and some resistors! I charge my ION also with sollar or at my work but 10.000 euros for a battery must be considered to the cost of driving this car and nobody talks about it! Economic is when you buy this car new at 18.000 euros and swap the battery under guaranty maybe in 6 years!

misterbleepy said:
My iOn is 3 3/4 years old, and now has 25,551 miles on the clock, and is still serving us very well.
It's coping with the extra weight of a 4th passenger without a problem (a dog in the boot).

We just part-exchanged the iOn for a new VW ID.3.
It served us well for just over 8 years, during which we put just under 50,000 miles on it.

misterbleepy said:
misterbleepy said:
My iOn is 3 3/4 years old, and now has 25,551 miles on the clock, and is still serving us very well.
It's coping with the extra weight of a 4th passenger without a problem (a dog in the boot).
We just part-exchanged the iOn for a new VW ID.3.
It served us well for just over 8 years, during which we put just under 50,000 miles on it.
MisterBleepy, sorry to see you go and thanks for your contributions over the years. VW has elected to exclude the ID.3 from the US - pity, as there are few new small BEVs in this country, the Mini-E being a fun example that we can actually buy.

Back