RBS light Alarm

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which wires you disconnect depends on where the problem is located--on the low-voltage or the high-voltage side. But just to be sure the 12V fuse(s) for the AC could be pulled, and the connector for the HV pulled, and that would disable it completely.

With the car OFF and key out of the ignition there will be no HV on the wires to the AC. The connector could be pulled and the junctions covered with electrical tape to keep out dirt and rainwater.

The AC compressor is so expensive because it has a small motor inverter built in, along with the 3-phase motor driving the pump--it is like a small version of our car without the gearbox, shafts and wheels.

i would be happy to troubleshoot and repair it for you.

!
vZGgHbp.png
!

I have little confidence that disconnecting the AC compressor will allow the car to run again with no consequences. I say this because I see only one story online of someone doing this. I am paying for diagnostic fees at the dealership. Were I to not have a repair made, I pay these fees and then I would have to pay for a flatbed to get it home only to try to affect a change that may just be an internet story.

Did they happen to tell you what trouble codes they found when connecting the MUT3? There is a list of trouble codes for the AC system and each code has a troubleshooting and test procedure associated with it.

For example B1101 is an AC system trouble code:

This code is set when one of the following conditions is met.
When B1102 A/C compressor inverter error (overcurrent) occurs 10 times or more
When B1117 A/C compressor inverter error (controller error) occurs 2 times or more
When B1118 A/C compressor inverter error (temperature sensor error) occurs 2 times or more

There are not a lot of these cars around and issues are more like computer and electrical problems moreso than the typical mechanical stuff. (need electronic tools to solve issues rather than wrenches and hammers)

Thanks for the feedback.

I have suggested to the dealership, the idea of a used AC compressor. They managed to hunt one down. The part is returnable for refund but all the labor at the dealership is not. So there is a big risk. In addition I have to wait 30 days for the special oil for the compressor to be shipped from Japan.

For what it's worth, here is the note I had received from the owner of the i-MiEV with the defective AC unit -

The Mitsubishi dealer ... found the following diagnostic fault codes :
P1A44: Leak detection (BMU)
P1A44: Leak sensor detection circuit (BMU)
P0562: Battery voltage low (My note: which battery?)
B1101: Elc. compressor (Eternity) (sic)
B1102: Elc. compressor (Current)
(legend from the myimev.com forum)
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=490
As I had mentioned, the AC system had stopped cooling the day before the turtle mode, RBS and "!" warning lights had started to come on.
The dealer found that disconnecting the AC compressor removed all fault codes and warning lights.
The quote for a new compressor, installed, including tax, was $4450. We have decided to go without AC for now.

I'm pretty sure the dealer would not have disconnected the high voltage wiring.

This code is referenced as BMU leakage detect, and what it means is a Ground Fault (leakage) was detected in the HV system somewhere.

It could be due to an issue in any one of these high voltage circuits, or in the insulation of any of the cables (insulation resistance of less than 10 MOhms).

!
kI1Ibut.png
!

No matter what, my dealer would not disconnect the AC as a solution. They would let me take the car on a flat bed and pay all the diagnostic fees. This would be foolish to do as I am not so sure this is a real solution. Besides I obviously would prefer to have functional AC. The projected cost of the used part and all other costs is $1500. I can justify this cost. I cannot justify $4500 for the new part installed. I paid $4500 for the car in the first place.

Fingers crossed.

My car has been sitting at the dealership now for one month. The used AC compressor arrived a couple of weeks ago but I am waiting for the special AC compressor oil to be delivered from Japan. That allegedly is to arrive on Monday (in 3 days). Hopefully the used part will work and solve the problem. I will post here when the results are known, good or bad, perhaps next week. Fingers still crossed.

Finally my car has been repaired at the dealership. The faulting AC compressor has been replaced with a used unit. I was called this evening so I will pick the car up Saturday morning. I will report back about the repairs. The total bill for the repair is $1,500, so if it lasts it is a far cry from the $4,500 the repair using a new AC unit would have been. There are no guarantees for the used compressor however so I will report back much later to let all know about the longevity of the repair.

Well I do not specifically know what happened to the AC compressor. The unit was faulting out the system. I did not request the old part given to me.

I picked up my car today. Everything seems fine. The AC works fine and all is normal. The total cost was just over $1500. Obviously there is no guarantee about how long the repair will last. I guess the reality is I had a used car with a used AC compressor unit on it and now after the repair I have a used car with a used AC compressor. Given that the repair with a brand new AC compressor would have cost me $3,000 more than the repair I had done, it is worth the risk. If my car runs fine for two years I will be happy. If the unit I replaced fails sooner, then I suppose I could have another used compressor put in and the reality is I will still be $1,500 less than if I had a brand new part replaced in the beginning.

justoneman said:
Well I do not specifically know what happened to the AC compressor. The unit was faulting out the system. I did not request the old part given to me.

Might be interesting and good to know if you can get the old part and have it analyzed. Perhaps some of the more technical members could help.

The repair was completed 4 days ago. I am sure the part has been tossed out. If I wanted to retain the part I would have had to request that well in advance of the repair.

I just wanted to say even though it has only been 2 weeks, my car is running fine and normal with the used AC compressor installed.

Back