CHADEMO charge failure

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eldenh

When I tried to use a DCQC this morning it connected and began to charge, but when the current reached 99 amps it reported 0 volts and shut down. It did so again when I tried a second time. I haven't had the problem before and don't know whether it is the EVSE or my car caused the failure.

Sorry to hear of your trouble. Is there another DCQC you could try? That should make it pretty clear whether the issue is with the car or not.

Quick chargers are known for having issues. The i-MiEV, not so much.

Hi eldenh, thanks for posting. A number of questions off the top of my head, if I may -

1. What year i-MiEV?
2. Did you try removing and re-inserting the CHAdeMO connector?
3. What brand of EVSE?
4. Had you used this particular EVSE previously, successfully?
5. How often have you been using CHAdeMO?
6. Have you subsequently tried another CHAdeMO EVSE?

I'd be interesting in doing a visual check of the contacts on the CHAdeMO connector of the EVSE to see if there is any wear or damage. Presumably, if an intermittent connection or voltage/current drop is detected by the EVSE then it may shut down instead of simply reducing the current.

"1. What year i-MiEV?
2. Did you try removing and re-inserting the CHAdeMO connector?
3. What brand of EVSE?
4. Had you used this particular EVSE previously, successfully?
5. How often have you been using CHAdeMO?
6. Have you subsequently tried another CHAdeMO EVSECompare EVSE equipment?"

1. 2012 with about 15,000 miles.
2. Yes, with same result.
3. Don't recall.
4.,5. Yes, 3 times with no problems.
6. There may be one within range of a full charge, but have never gone that way.

The one I used worked well a couple weeks ago, and no one has reported problems to PlugShare.

99.9% likely the CHAdeMO EVSE. Ive had a couple of mis-charges before due to the EVSE, the IMIEV is not the issue I predict.

Most of the time the EVSE faults are a failure to initialise. Once they initialise, its normally OK, unless something else is going on with it. If there is a problem with the car, I'd guess it wouldnt even itnitialise. Your issue sounds like something dicky with the EVSE for sure.

There is a quick charger to my north that I use when visiting that jobsite. The one day I went to use it, It only went up to about half power, shut down, and made a loud arc pop. There was a hardware problem with one of the power modules. Others on PlugShare mentioned issues with the unit, but were able to charge. I was the lucky one that had to fall back to level 2. Since they replaced that power module, it's turned out to be one of the more reliable units I've used.

Since it didn't go to full power, and we know that your car successfully charged in the past, I'm willing to bet on it being a faulty power module within the quick charger itself. Looking on PlugShare, there is one unit in the town of Port Angeles, and that is an EVGo-looking unit (labeled Chargion) at Dan Wilder Nissan. The next closest unit appears to be Silverdale, WA.

PV1 said:
...Looking on PlugShare, there is one unit in the town of Port Angeles, and that is an EVGo-looking unit (labeled Chargion) at Dan Wilder Nissan. The next closest unit appears to be Silverdale, WA.
The one at the Nissan dealer is undoubtedly the one eldenh is talking about. At 69 miles, Silverdale would be a stretch for the i-MiEV from Port Angeles (but there is L2 along the way). Long way to go to find out if CHAdeMO works. :roll: FWIW, I successfully used the CHAdeMO in Silverdale with my Tesla.

eldenh, you might make a PlugShare entry to raise the flag - they might not know there's anything wrong.

Stopped by a free Chademo at a Nissan Dealership just past St Louis in Illinois yesterday. Had to reset it 3 times and reseat the plug handle twice.
These Nissan DCQCs seem to have issues. I did finally get it to work though.

I took it to Everett for airbag recall yesterday and they checked for a DCQC fault and found no report in it's memory. Thanks for they replies.

Back