Charging Down Route 66

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rkarl89203 said:
Day 19: Clinton, Ok to Chandler OK. With serious GPS anomalies in OKC, and getting hopelessly lost for 2 hours at OKC, i drove 186 miles total.
Wow, that's a significant new daily record for your trip! Yes, GPS does have its vagaries, and to think kids today don't know the world without it. It's general-use popularity started with Clinton's 1996 executive order discontinuing the signal fuzzying "Selective Availability", which congress finally signed into law in 2000.

Rick, have you tried welding shops as a source for charging? They normally have NEMA 6-50 outlets. A couple of days ago I used a 50A welder outlet at an RV campground repair shop (they only had 120vac TT-30 as their highest campsite power outlet). I bet that most farm repair shops also have these.

I dont believe i have the welding shop adaptor.
Regarding GPS apparently its an Oklahoma thing. Went to a RV park 20 miles out of Claremore OK that just isnt there. Of course GPS didnt know that, rerouting me on numerous back country roads and dead end streets.
I spent over 45 miles RR looking for it.
Thanks to a kindly convenience store i was able to charge 110V to get back to the previous town. There i told a police officer my adventure. He told me of a NEMA-14-50 opportunity 2 miles from where i started. Go figure.
Tomorrow is another day. No 186 mile day today.

Day 23: Lebanon MO to St Clair MO.
I drove 131 total miles.

328 miles to go. Today...quickchargers through St Louis and Edwardsville IL.

Day 25 : Springfield IL to El Paso IL.
122 total miles traveled. Will take a more direct route home tomorrow.

I am home.
67 days.
5894 miles.
All of Route 66. And sidetrips.
No breakdowns.

This is an amazing car.
This is a tired driver.

rkarl89203 said:
I am home.
67 days.
5894 miles.
All of Route 66. And sidetrips.
No breakdowns.

This is an amazing car.
This is a tired driver.

Congratulations! Nothing more need be said! Well, maybe not?

:D :D :D
Congratulations , Great achievement,
I enjoyed following your posts through out the trip
Something to tell your grand kids.

& Yes you are absolutely right it is a great little car

Hope you enjoys well deserved rest

Congratulations!! Who says the I-MiEV can't do trips? Glad you made it both there and back with little issue. Certainly a trip for the record book.

Rick had started a new thread to celebrate his successful completion of the Route 66 round-trip. Being concerned that the two threads would separate over time, I've merged the two.

Rick's last day's mileage was 137 miles (per PM to me).

The longest single-day's distance was 186 miles.

Trip Data Spreadsheet final update. I added the reference to this thread in that spreadsheet and, Rick, if you'd like anything else added please let me know.

Once again, a successful trip testifying to Rick's perseverance and the i-MiEV's capabilities, while happily avoiding all the tornados, hailstorms, and flooding so so much in the news over the last couple of months in some of the areas covered by this trip.

Wondering if Rick kept some sort of spreadsheet of the total costs of the trip? Hotel/motels, charging, meals etc?

Don

A general accounting of the costs associated with the trip...to include charging costs, will be forthcoming.
As will a combination video/photo disk.
When the full analysis is done (in less than 2 weeks) i will gladly provide the info and accompanying disks to anyone who may request it. Keep in mind i have been back less than 24 hours so i have several other items i need to accomplish. It will come, soon.

Working on the final analysis.
Funny thing happened yesterday.
Old fellow told me "you just cant go far in that."
Told him about the 5,894 miles.
Priceless!

Back