Canion

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an android radio and use obdlink mx wifi works with no problem.

One question to Xavier..... It's possible to send a sms or. Email when the car stops charging? Even if we need to use a Sim card ou Internet on the car to send that message?

For example I can't use remote car view because my wifi is occupied with obdlink wifi.... So a sms ou mail was great to everyone....

http://i.imgur.com/L6CA4dR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uvkuFPo.jpg

ICEM4N said:

One question to Xavier..... It's possible to send a sms or. Email when the car stops charging? Even if we need to use a Sim card ou Internet on the car to send that message?

For example I can't use remote car view because my wifi is occupied with obdlink wifi.... So a sms ou mail was great to everyone....

That idea is great
With the option to recebe sms when the charge is interrupeted or full the usual problems we have in public chagers are gone.
Simply great
Please consider this

Bitaro said:
ICEM4N said:

That idea is great
With the option to recebe sms when the charge is interrupeted or full the usual problems we have in public chagers are gone.
Simply great
Please consider this

I have the same opinion about this. It's a great feature to have. Whithout this, it's a game of fate. We never know if the car stop charging...

Excelent idea guys!

Ok, I did get an older Nexus 7 for $25 off of Craigslist and an OBDlink MX, hooked it up, paired it, and it worked. However, there are a number of measures that don't seem to be working. Hopefully, I can resolve my questions if there is a user's manual for the app, which I can't seem to find.

Is there a manual for this app and if so, where do I find it?

Any ideas on what brackets to use to mount the Nexus 7 in the 'Miev?

On the Android level, is there an easier way to print a screen other than by pushing the power and lower volume buttons? (I am coming from a Mac background).

In terms of tracking battery degradation over time, is it easier to use EVBatMon? (We are quite interested in tracking from the cooler times through the Phoenix summer.)

If you tap on the left side stats of CaniOn, it'll take a screenshot. This is functionality of the app itself.

As for user manual, this thread is probably your best bet. Which stats aren't working?

To track battery capacity over time, EVBatMon would be the better choice as it actually queries the car for Ah capacity. CaniOn is most useful for checking cell balance, temperatures, and logging driving data. It doesn't query the car at all, but simply listens to the CANbus.

Ok, the screen shot function worked and I found the image in a Photos folder.

The function that doesn't appear to be working is the 'Acc Pedal History'. Also, what is that?

Canion seems to store its trip sessions in date-time stamped files that can be accessed from a pull-down menu in the upper right part of the screen. Does this get cleared out after a while?

How does one distinguish between the 1 and 2 trips on this menu?
How does one reset the trip timers, one or two?
What's the difference between the 'my Trip Timer', 'my Trip Timer 2', and 'Trip Timer' selections?

What is a typical or recommended time to record stuff? I see from 5 min to 48h.

Phximiev said:
. . . The function that doesn't appear to be working is the 'Acc Pedal History'. Also, what is that?

Ok, the 'Acc Pedal History' shows the accelerator pedal %. Straight forward enough. Not sure what one would use it for unless one is comparing usage to pedal position.

As to a user's manual, there appears to be a reasonable explanation of the program's function in the About menu item in the Description selection. This cleared up a number of questions.

One that isn't answered tho is the use of the two icons on the right. The lower shows the battery SoC with an fps number below it. What the upper icon for (consisting of four rectangles)?

Another item is the 'Car State' feature, which appears to allow a user to collect data from Canion. Anyone used this feature? I cannot seem to find a reference to it on the forum.

I've been watching the battery status every 15 minutes or so while charging the car. Quite thought provoking actually.

:D

I never noticed car state (might be an update out there I haven't downloaded yet).

The four-section rectangle above the battery is a power meter. The four sections line up with the tick marks and the zero-power point on the car's power gauge. It's also color coded. The bottom section has a green bar to indicate regen, the next section up is the ECO range and has a blue bar. The third section is about halfway on the power gauge and has an orange bar, and the top section is the power section of the gauge and has a red bar.

As for the two My Trip screens, you can set these up with a bunch of different stats. I have the first one set up with a bunch of energy and charging info, and the second one with temperature stats (heater loop and battery).

PV1 said:
I never noticed car state (might be an update out there I haven't downloaded yet).
. . . As for the two My Trip screens, you can set these up with a bunch of different stats. I have the first one set up with a bunch of energy and charging info, and the second one with temperature stats (heater loop and battery).

The 'Car State' is mentioned in the 'About/Description' section.

Good idea on the trip screens and I'll check the rectangles later.

Phximiev said:
PV1 said:
. . . As for the two My Trip screens, you can set these up with a bunch of different stats. I have the first one set up with a bunch of energy and charging info, and the second one with temperature stats (heater loop and battery).

The 'Car State' is mentioned in the 'About/Description' section.

Good idea on the trip screens and I'll check the rectangles later.

Ok, the rectangles reflected the acceleration and regen activity on a short trip (30 miles) I took this evening with the heat on. However, in checking the 'Description' write-up on the rectangles, there was no explanation. I do suggest that the developers add that to their package.

However, I could not for the life of me figure out how to set up the screens with different stats. Just how does one do this? (This should be added to the 'Description' also.)

Phximiev said:
Ok, the rectangles reflected the acceleration and regen activity on a short trip (30 miles) I took this evening with the heat on. However, in checking the 'Description' write-up on the rectangles, there was no explanation. I do suggest that the developers add that to their package.

However, I could not for the life of me figure out how to set up the screens with different stats. Just how does one do this? (This should be added to the 'Description' also.)

OK, so the procedure to set up the two trip timers is described in the 'Description', I just missed it! :oops:

Still don't know how to delete a trip from the pull-down on the upper right of the screen. Any thoughts on this?

Also, after the trips were over, I reviewed the output of several trips. I turned Bluetooth off and went inside. Unfortunately, Canion kept sending messages and re-enabling Bluetooth, which I found rather irritating. Finally, I just pulled the OBDLink from the car. This allowed me to review the data in peace. So the question is how does one turn the messaging off? Or prevent Canion from re-enabling Bluetooth?

To change the My Trip screens, tap on a value name and select from the list. I've had trouble with the app freezing up if this is done while connected to the car, so unplug your OBDLink before modifying the My Trip screens.

As far as the auto-enabling of Bluetooth, the app has done this for as long as I've been using it. If there's no toggle for it in settings, you may need to send a feature request to the developers (me68 or priusfan on this forum).

Phximiev said:
Phximiev said:
Also, after the trips were over, I reviewed the output of several trips. I turned Bluetooth off and went inside. Unfortunately, Canion kept sending messages and re-enabling Bluetooth, which I found rather irritating. Finally, I just pulled the OBDLink from the car. This allowed me to review the data in peace. So the question is how does one turn the messaging off? Or prevent Canion from re-enabling Bluetooth?

Funny, Half the time I have the dickens of a time getting Canion to connect

Xavier's input:

_______

Bonjour,
There is no option in canion to delete a trip...
(technically it is not really difficult: sql delete in a few tables where TimeStamp is in trip's range).

There is no option for BT "auto activate". The easiest way for me is to remove the interface...

IMHO, canion is working fine as it is, and I am not planning changes.
I am busy enough with HybridAssistant

Anyway, Martin (me68) is the guy to ask to if you need changes...

Sorry to come with no positive answers to your questions...

Xavier
______

I do realize that the program is free and respectfully suggested the changes in that light. I will send an email to Martin also if he doesn't respond here.

I also have had a problem with the Nexus and the app freezing when trying to change the period parameter while connected. This happened several times on the SoC screen. I will try disconnecting the OBDLink first, then set the period.

I, for one, am very thankful for CaniOn and all the improvements Martin and Xavier have made over the years. Sure, it has foibles and I have learned to live with them, but overall this app is a godsend for us i-MiEV/iOn/C-Zero owners. Despite the program being free, presumably everyone who is using it has put something into their kitty.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=emobility.canion&hl=en

Recognizing that our car design is now going on eight years and is doomed to extinction, I wouldn't expect Martin or Xavier to be putting any more work into this app.

Phximiev, since I only use my Android tablet for CaniOn, I turn it off when I get home. Is the issue you have perhaps related to Bluetooth being active while the car is charging?

JoeS said:
I, for one, am very thankful for CaniOn and all the improvements Martin and Xavier have made over the years. Sure, it has foibles and I have learned to live with them, but overall this app is a godsend for us i-MiEV/iOn/C-Zero owners. Despite the program being free, presumably everyone who is using it has put something into their kitty.

Ditto - Their app helped me to understand my little car much better. I am in denial about my car's extinction. I hear the ads about the Bolt coming out, etc. The additional 150-175 mile range isn't worth the additional $30K to me. I bought my little guy at $8k, 4 years old with 1170 miles on it. CaniOn gave me confidence in the battery pack (and I ponied up with much thanks).
Now, looking into the future, when my little daily driver 'tank' becomes less than what I need - where will I go to get some miles back into it? again - in complete denial about the extinction of my little car ;-)

JoeS said:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=emobility.canion&hl=en

Recognizing that our car design is now going on eight years and is doomed to extinction, I wouldn't expect Martin or Xavier to be putting any more work into this app.

Phximiev, since I only use my Android tablet for CaniOn, I turn it off when I get home. Is the issue you have perhaps related to Bluetooth being active while the car is charging?

I am also thankful and didn't mean to unduly criticize.

As to the issue, it does occur while the car is charging. I was actually hoping to capture the SOC while it was charging over an 8 hour period or so. This is not possible? (I guess not).

Again, no malice intended and I will put in a donation.

For Martin, what kind of effort would it take to implement? (and that can help guide my donation).

I continue to have random issues of my odblink LX and Camion losing connection. I am driving and everything is fine, and then I look up and notice that Camion has not been recording.
If I try and shut it down and restart the app, it will not reconnect. I have to remove the dongle from the car, 'forget' the Bluetooth pairing on the ohone, then re-plug back in the dongle and re-pair.
Does anyone know if there is a setting that I am missing on either the app or phone that causes this? It seems random, but maybe there is a setting that I am missing??

Back