Portable CHAdeMO

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, I copied the link from the website. That is weird. But one should be able to go to the website and pick the link from their.

I'll send an email to the contact link.

Excellent, I've been itching to try out that unit, and at such an affordable rate! Will look for an excuse to do so.
Who is the proprietor of EVSEAdapters.com? It's in Exeter,CA so possibly not related to Tony Williams' EVSEUpgrade in Berkeley. (Why do so many of these little companies not identify themselves in the "About Us" section. It makes me very hesitant to do business.

Thx Joe. Yep, fingers were faster than the brain again. Ditto on EVSEadapters.com in Latin- not even bothering to fill in the website template is suspicious....

Phximiev said:
Hmmm, I copied the link from the website. That is weird. But one should be able to go to the website and pick the link from their.

I'll send an email to the contact link.

Per the site's response, they are going to fix the links and alert the forum's admin.

Hi everyone, EVSE Adapters contacted me about the links. They should all be fixed now and actually link where they were supposed to!

Please let me know if anything fishy is still happening (via PM or Contact Form)

Thanks!
Mike

The portable Chademo charger from EVSE Adapters is now at $2999.
I must say things are starting to look up for the imiev. The lack of a faster onboard charger can be a bit frustrating when new charging points spring up with 7 and 22kw here in Europe. Having a handy tool that can use that power for faster charging is sweet. Even it it only goes up to 7200W. Still, half the battery in an hour is not too shabby.
Plus, we even get battery cooling when using chademo. It still works the same way, right?

It might not. I charged from a quick charger that only put out 10 kW and that wasn't enough to activate cooling.

PV1 said:
<span>It might not. I charged from a quick <a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=electric%20vehicle%20charger&tag=myelecarfor-20" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">charger</a> that only put out 10 kW and that wasn't enough to activate cooling.</span>

That's odd.
When I do a DC at a high SOC, the power is below 10kW, but it has always activated cooling for me. Air conditioning only activated aboce 31ºC on one cell, but the fan works at high speed towards the batteries.
I checked their the website and they do claim cooling does happen with their charger.

Maybe johnr call clear that up, since he seems to have one.

Palm35 said:
I have tested it with my C-Zero !

https://youtu.be/23usBccDUpo
:arrow: Datasheet
Palm, have you noticed if the car's cooling system functions when you use the unit?

If it does, that's great. In my experience, the car's cooling system has always shut down around 66%, even when my battery was hovering around 100 F. The problem is, once the cooling system shuts down, you can't manually turn it back on (even for the cabin) for the remainder of the charge. It even shuts off the heated seat, so both systems must be powered by the same relay.

I don't think Palm is using the one from EVSE adapters. The one in the video has a different shape and looks bigger, a bit like the €16000 Chargebox from Designwerks.

My car has never shutdown the cooling system once it starts. Maybe there are different versions with distinct behaviours when it comes to DC charging. I can be at 94% and it is still cooling the battery.

What year is your i-MiEV? Also, where are you located? Maybe there are regional differences in charging profiles. My car is US market, 2012 model year.

Mine is the 2011, EU version.
I know the EU and US versions are a bit different even on the outside. Looks like the differences extend further inside than I thought.

Until tomorrow, $750 off the portable unit from EVSE Adapters. If only I didn't just spend a bunch of money on solar panels and batteries :lol: .

PV1 said:
Until tomorrow, $750 off the portable unit from EVSE Adapters.
Four cool features:

1. Can utilize full 40A output from an RV park NEMA 14-50 outlet
2. Adjustable current (to, for example, reduce the current to 24A if drawing from a 30A 240vac dryer outlet)
3. Adjustable State of Charge stop point
4. Adjustable charging time

Remember - your i-MiEV needs to have CHAdeMO DCQC to utilize this charger.

PV1 said:
Interesting. Learn something new everyday.

I learned something more recently. Cooling during a DC charge is not activated until a cell reaches 20ºC. Since I had never reached a DC charging station with pack temperature so low I never experienced it, but a friend of mine did it a short while ago. The fans only starting blowing air to the pack once a cell reached that temperature threshold.

Some updates on this subject.
The SETEC 10kW charger can come configured for either single-phase or three-phase AC supply, But somebody at the Australian Leaf owners forum managed to find a way of swithcing the back to the other mode. This could be interesting we go to a place that only has 32A single-phase and no three-phase, or vice-versa.
http://ozleaf.proboards.com/thread/754/home-portable-chademo-10kw-evse?page=4

Regarding other chargers, for sometime I wondered about Electway 15kW charger, which can charge up to 33-35A. That's quite a sweet charging speed. I didn't have any feedback on these, but it seems that in the last months some German guys made a group purchase of these units. I don't understand German so I can't tell many details, but they seem to be working nicely, and there's some pictures of charging an iMiev.
http://www.goingelectric.de/forum/ladeequipment/chademo-ladegeraet-sammelbestellung-t17603-170.html

Back