EVBatMon Readings

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last three days of driving started out with 80-86 miles RR (while being cold enough to require pre-heating). The calibration charge that likely did it was a 65.1 mile drive with 0 bars and 3 miles RR left last Sunday.

The increase isn't significant enough to notice with 23 miles of driving daily outside of my starting RR.

I'd say it likes to be driven hard, but if that is what's doing it, you should be well ahead of me, Joe :lol: .

The last two miles are likely a factor. That includes a downhill slope with half-blue regen, followed by a bit of power, then nearly a mile of coasting. After coasting, regen from 50 MPH down to about 15 MPH to turn onto my road, power up a hill and regen down the other side, then crawl up the driveway.

I'm liking these LEV50n cells. Now if Koorz would have a battery issue so that pack could be swapped out. It took nearly a full charge to do 45 miles yesterday.

We've taken our first EVBatmon reading:

JgF5SfN.jpg

Is it correct to say that we have had 22% degradation?

This is after charging last night to "full".

Phximiev said:

Correct, PMC = Percentage of Manufacturer's original Capacity, so 78% PMC = 22% degradation. This assumes the battery pack has been in the vehicle for a while as the BMU needs a good bit of data to calculate an accurate battery capacity. Discharging to <2 bars (flashing) from a full charge and then a slow level 1 full charge will usually give the BMU some good data on the state of your battery, otherwise the BMU is making too many assumptions.
Multiply the Ah capacity by the pack voltage (330V) and you get kWh. http://www.evpositive.com/battery-history.html (that is for the PHEV which has a different pack voltage, otherwise all other comments are applicable)

zzcoopej said:
Phximiev said:

Correct, PMC = Percentage of Manufacturer's original Capacity, so 78% PMC = 22% degradation. This assumes the battery pack has been in the vehicle for a while as the BMU needs a good bit of data to calculate an accurate battery capacity. Discharging to <2 bars (flashing) from a full charge and then a slow level 1 full charge will usually give the BMU some good data on the state of your battery, otherwise the BMU is making too many assumptions.
Multiply the Ah capacity by the pack voltage (330V) and you get kWh. http://www.evpositive.com/battery-history.html (that is for the PHEV which has a different pack voltage, otherwise all other comments are applicable)

Mark Mitsubishi installed a new pack on or about December 30, 2014, so 2 1/2 years or so. What I will do is run the pack down to < 2 bars today and take another reading. 22% degradation seems high but then perhaps its the effect of the Phoenix heat over two summers?

Phximiev, I moved those three posts over here, as the thread had basically the same title. We have two EVBatMon threads:

For the App itself -
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3022

For discussions of the EVBatMon readings (this one) -
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3056

I wouldn't worry about putting a number on the percentage degradation. While driving conservatively, if you still get about RR=32 miles with the fuel gauge at 8 bars, you're ok. Yes, in your climate I would not charge the battery over about 12 bars unless it was just before taking a longer trip.

Phximiev said:
We've taken our first EVBatmon reading:

JgF5SfN.jpg

This is after charging last night to "full".

Second reading after taking the battery to one bar and fully recharging last night:

IJmQkCI.jpg

The owner’s manual (around page I-4) states that we should have no more than 20% loss after 5 years. We received a new battery on or about December 30, 2014, so the battery is less than 2.5 years old and which presumably contains the LEV50N cells (which are not supposed to grade less than 90% after 700 cycles in 45 degrees C). Maybe they didn't install the 50Ns? Or if they did then the 50Ns have a problem with the Phoenix heat?

Time to call the dealer.

"The owner’s manual (around page I-4) states that we should have no more than 20% loss after 5 years." Is that loss of battery capacity or loss of range? 22% loss of capacity doesn´t mean 22% loss of range. This is because when new the car will let use only a percentage of total capacity, but with time it will increase that percentage, and after some time, we can use all the capacity available. In my experience, with 22% loss of capacity, the range will only decrease something like 15%.

Some owners even saw an increase in range after sometime, because of that. It happened to me and that is because I'm one of the rarest that could get 175 mRR.

Malm said:
"The owner’s manual (around page I-4) states that we should have no more than 20% loss after 5 years." Is that loss of battery capacity or loss of range? 22% loss of capacity doesn´t mean 22% loss of range. This is because when new the car will let use only a percentage of total capacity, but with time it will increase that percentage, and after some time, we can use all the capacity available. In my experience, with 22% loss of capacity, the range will only decrease something like 15%.

Some owners even saw an increase in range after sometime, because of that. It happened to me and that is because I'm one of the rarest that could get 175 mRR.

The manual (I-4 and I-5) says loss of capacity rather than range.

With Mitsubishi's technique of concealing capacity loss as simply the reduction in turtle range, I tend not to get too excited about capacity readings. At this point in time, I still can't detect a decrease in my effective range amongst both my two i-MiEVs and the original i-MiEV I sold (which I still visit often with its new owner). Phximiev, in approaching Mitsubishi, what strategy do you intend to employ? I haven't recently heard of anyone doing Mitsu capacity testing using MUT3 - I personally wouldn't give my i-MiEV to a Mitsubishi service center to "test" unless I had a seriously-noticeable range loss.

The strategy is/was as follows:
1. I scheduled a battery test with Mark Mitsubishi after giving them both of the EvBatMon readings.
2. Today, they did the wrong test (the "cell smoothing" test instead of a "capacity" test), see this topic: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2386 . Then the service manager said to call Mitsubishi service as they couldn't do what I requested. They did not charge me for the battery "cell smoothing" test. (Forum members perhaps should note this if they request a capacity test and the dealership does the cell smoothing test). After the cell smoothing test the RR on our car showed 66 miles.
3. I called the Mitsubishi service folks and have opened a case, the notion being that with 22% degradation, I have a warranty claim under the 10 year warranty and pages I-4, 5 of the manual as the battery is less than 2.5 years old.

As an aside, we were given an i-Miev loaner. It was a 2012 i-Miev (JA3215H17CU022346) with no quick charge, a battery that was 3 months younger than ours and 18k miles. After taking the battery to one bar and recharging, the RR showed 52 miles. EvBatMon shows (32% degradation):

LaQ3Jdl.jpg

I emailed this info to the service manager.

To be continued.

Here's mine - bought used at 106,000 KM - 2012 - still get about 100KM on the RR with full charge - really happy with the car - my wife drives it more than I do (other one is a 2017 FFE) - our Battery Condition PMC is 76.67 % - 36.8 Ah

Julian46 said:
Here's mine - bought used at 106,000 KM - 2012 - still get about 100KM on the RR with full charge - really happy with the car - my wife drives it more than I do (other one is a 2017 FFE) - our Battery Condition PMC is 76.67 % - 36.8 Ah
http://imgur.com/a/dW306
(sorry not sure how to upload inline images)
Hello Julian 36, and welcome to the forum. Delighted that you're happy with your i-MiEV - be careful, some wives glom onto the car and don't want to let go! Bet she/you will really appreciate the i-MiEV's cargo capacity with the rear seats down, especially compared to the FFE.

EVBatMon IIRC assumes 100% capacity is 48Ah, which perhaps is optimistic. Your capacity is pretty much normal, and you may even see it go up! In any case, one soon develops a knack for making the range be whatever is needed to make the trip, and we alter our driving behavior accordingly.

Providing the link to your image (as you did) works just fine if bracketing the url with doesn't work with the website to which you uploaded your picture. Here are some hints, as we've all struggled with this at one time or another -
[url]http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1626[/url]

BTW, might let us know where you're located, as we have quite an international membership on this forum -
[url]http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3196[/url]

My car is from 2011 and I got it with 6600km two years ago. Now it's closing in on 24k and the currenty capacity is 40.8Ah.

Hi Joe - and everyone else !

We are located in a small town in Southern Ontario Canada.

Thanks Joe for the link re: pictures - I figured it out - and added a link to the imgur image url with the embedded link to the pic - seems to work fine - here's some more pics below - we found out about it being available on a Canadian Nissan Leaf Facebook group (its fun to follow all the groups on all the EVs) - we weren't specifically looking for a another car / EV but this was meant to be - the seller (another member on this forum) was located about 30 mins away and happy to show it to us. One test drive is all it took and it was priced really well to sell - thanks to the previous owner wanting to spread the EV word - only needed new tires to certify even with 100K km on the odometer - my Wife loves the look of it / the way it drives / the fact that its a pure EV and you're right - how much stuff it can hold (see second pic below) - we have a good balance of L2/L3 chargers around and I have a SunCountry (Clipper LCS-25) for home charging the FFE and the iMiev.

Back