Portable CHAdeMO

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool!

That's actually cheaper than what I could build mine for. My spec was over $4,000 and that didn't even include the chargers.

These things look heavy, large and of questionable quality.

Would be good to see them in an ABS case or other impact resistant packaging. But I think that for the price they are now, its exorbitant.

I can see a very good use for a Solar/ Powerwall CHAdeMO setup - portable or otherwise - but I guess that would be single phase, so take about an hour and a half - which would be a big improvement on the limits of AC.

It takes some beefy components for the power levels, it's never gonna be the weight of your cell phone charger ;). If something fails at 10Kw+ I'd want it in a metal box rather than a plastic one.

Speaking of which, what look tells you it is poor quality? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but it seems a few comment based on the fact that it is made in China and all of a sudden it 'looks like the quality is questionable'. Most everything is made in China these days, I'd bet if you pried open you EVSE even if it is 'made' in the US or Japan 1/2 or more of the components come from China. The I-phone is made in China yet Apple manages to be the most profitable company on the planet, low quality?

I'm glad to see one finally offered, but after skimming the LEAF forum thread- if Tony Williams tested it and says it is junk, that's all I need to read. I keep pushing on Rich Rudman of Manzanita Micro to offer a CHAdeMO charger, but he's having enough trouble making his chargers compatible with third-party J1772 EVSE.

mdbuilder said:
It takes some beefy components for the power levels, it's never gonna be the weight of your cell phone charger ;). If something fails at 10Kw+ I'd want it in a metal box rather than a plastic one.

Speaking of which, what look tells you it is poor quality? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but it seems a few comment based on the fact that it is made in China and all of a sudden it 'looks like the quality is questionable'. Most everything is made in China these days, I'd bet if you pried open you EVSE even if it is 'made' in the US or Japan 1/2 or more of the components come from China. The I-phone is made in China yet Apple manages to be the most profitable company on the planet, low quality?

I didnt say poor quality, I said questionable quality. When I see something that bulky by design, I wonder if the designer thought about how it would be used... I do think these things need to be rugged and knock proof.

I've used it several times so far, in my experience it seems quite reliable actually. One time it was 105 degrees but it didn't seem to be affected by the temperature. It is kind of heavy (about 50 lbs) but what do you expect. With the carrying handle it's not too bad. It is a metal case, feels durable. I hope it lasts long, time will tell. At least it's from a US store, in case there's any problem they take care of the warranty. I got the J1772 adapter from TucsonEV and connected a 14-50 receptacle to it. The price is a bit high for the charger, but it sure makes it a lot easier when traveling on long trips where there's no quick chargers.

johnr said:
I've used it several times so far, in my experience it seems quite reliable actually. One time it was 105 degrees but it didn't seem to be affected by the temperature. It is kind of heavy (about 50 lbs) but what do you expect. With the carrying handle it's not too bad. It is a metal case, feels durable. I hope it lasts long, time will tell. At least it's from a US store, in case there's any problem they take care of the warranty. I got the J1772 adapter from TucsonEV and connected a 14-50 receptacle to it. The price is a bit high for the charger, but it sure makes it a lot easier when traveling on long trips where there's no quick chargers.

johnr... are you tracking the capacity of the traction battery for signs of damage by the portable chademo? Yes time only tell how long the charger will last...but my main concern would be damage to the battery. Here is a link that talks about the effects of EMF and ripple on EV batteries.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S030626191630808X

Interesting paper.

Is there some reason in particular you are focusing this issue on this portable charger? There is ac ripple inherent in every subsystem of every EV unless you go back to the early 1900's system of switched resistors and dc motors for speed control.

inverters, dc-dc converters, any charger (ac or dc!) where the source voltage is less than the battery to be charged, ALL have ac ripple.

obrother said:
johnr said:

johnr... are you tracking the capacity of the traction battery for signs of damage by the portable chademo? Yes time only tell how long the charger will last...but my main concern would be damage to the battery. Here is a link that talks about the effects of EMF and ripple on EV batteries.

mdbuilder said:
Interesting paper.

Is there some reason in particular you are focusing this issue on this portable charger? There is ac ripple inherent in every subsystem of every EV unless you go back to the early 1900's system of switched resistors and dc motors for speed control.

inverters, dc-dc converters, any charger (ac or dc!) where the source voltage is less than the battery to be charged, ALL have ac ripple.

obrother said:
johnr said:

Since this is the charger talked about in this thread this tread is what is focusing on this portable chademo charger. The traction battery in the imiev is not inexpensive to replace. Any charger looked at that does not use the onboard charger, which I think is reasonable to conclude is not excessively damaging, should be examined more closely for any possible negative impact. Would you like to inject some other portable chademo charger to change the focus of this thread? Please do ... go ahead.... Portable Chademo IS in the title of the tread...

I'll take that as a no, you just like to be argumentative and inject red herrings in the form of scientific papers which basically say 'hey, driving your car generates ac ripple which causes the battery to degrade a little faster than in a lab setting with a pure DC load.'

No need to argue over nothing, guys. :(

Anyway, regarding current ripple, I have no ideas about that - something that's over my head. However, I wonder whether the car's AC inverter driving an AC motor might also generate current ripple during normal operation. Additionally, I tend to think that if there is current ripple from this CHAdeMO unit - and I have no way of knowing whether or not there is - considering that it puts out only 20 amps it seems unlikely that it would have any significant effect. Anyway, I see no sense in speculation - but if there's an engineer on this forum who can test one of these chargers or has empirical knowledge of this matter, I'd welcome an informed discussion.

Exactly, the inverter driving the motor generates ripple. The inverter using the motor as a generator to dynamically brake generates ripple. The dc-dc stepping 300+ down to 12 generates ripple, the charger in the car rectifying dc to ac and stepping up 240 to 400+ volts. Yes, this portable chademo will generate ripple.

Ripple is inherent to the process of converting voltages and driving an ac motor, which is done by converting to dc to ac with solid state switching electronics. There is a built in limit though, the control for ripple are capacitors. If the designer does not use enough capacitors the ripple will kill the switching electronics. Not good for business if your product dies within the first year because there are not enough capacitors.

Chademo link:
wmcbrine said:
Link to the product johnr is talking about: https://www.evseadapters.com/en/home/136-portable-chademo-or-ccs-fast-charger.html

It's $3750. That doesn't include the J1772 adapter, which, I haven't found yet. (For just the $3750 you can hook it up to a NEMA 14-50.)

We have a Turbocord charger with a 6-20 plug. To travel to RV campsites, we needed an adaptor, which I just bought from EVSEadaptors. Its their universal 14-xx adaptor. I'll post my experience with it once received.

Speaking of the portable Chademo rental at EVSEAdaptors, here is the link:

https://www.evseadapters.com/en/ev-chargers-evses-/142-rent-a-portable-chademo-or-ccs-quick-charger.html

$2,000 refundable deposit plus a daily rate of some amount it appears.

That link didn't take me to the quick charger. It went to their adjustable EVSE cord. Here's the link to the charger, though I didn't see any mention of renting? Maybe because I'm on a mobile device.

https://www.evseadapters.com/en/home/136-portable-chademo-or-ccs-fast-charger.html

Very interesting, just did the same for me. Apparently, any hyperlink to their site gets re-directed by myelectriccarforums.com to that EVSE. Must be a paid special.

Copy and paste the link below into a new browser tab/window. That should bypass the re-direct and allow you to go to the QC rental.

Code:
http://www.evseadapters.com/en/ev-chargers-evses-/142-rent-a-portable-chademo-or-ccs-quick-charger.html

Back