New I-MiEV's --- Maybe, maybe not

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rmay635703 said:
Where as today its an act of congress to have something be 240vac because oh, its not always the same, oh its got to be hardwired, oh very complicated, need an electrician.
My L6-20 outlet for the car would blow some people's minds. It'll do either 120 or 240 volts with only a flip of a switch. Don't worry, there is signage warning to not flip the switch while on and that it is for the EVSE only. Everything is rated for 250 volts at 20 amps.

The 5-20 duplex receptacle, if rated to handle 240 volts, could do it just by wiring it across both phases. The top plug could be phase 1 and neutral, and the bottom phase 2 and neutral. Each plug is independently 120 volts, but a 240 volt appliance could have a brick plug that plugs into both outlets and picks up 240 volts. Just run 14-3 wire instead of 14-2 (14 gauge, 3 conductor with ground).

For nearly all modern electronics, they have "world" power supplies and can take 100-250 volts at 50-60 Hz. Appliances and AV equipment are stuck at 120 volts.

Back