Window Tint suggestions?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennelson

Hi everyone!

We finally got the first really sunny and warm day here! Unfortunately, I realized how HOT the sunlight gets when my car has ZERO window tint!

When we got our Prius (used, 10 years old...) it already had tinted windows, which I really liked the look of. However, it also makes the car much nicer to drive on very sunny summer days (no sunburn!)

So, I think I would like to get the windows on my iMiEV tinted. I'm looking for any advice on doing this. If anyone has had good experience doing this themselves, or if you have suggestions on getting it done professionally, please let me know.

I only easily found one car on the forum here specifically listed with tinted windows. http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1967
I think it looks sharp. My car is white, and I think would look great with tinted windows!

Please post photos of your car with tinted windows, and any advice you want to throw my way!

IMG_8904-640x480.jpg

Thanks!
-Ben

I would have thought that living in Wisconsin you'd want to soak up every drop of sunshine that comes your way - Especially the 10 months of the year when it's not summer

Can't help you with tint suggestions tho - Even living in Biloxi where the sun is nearly directly overhead all summer I've never thought of tinting the windows. I certainly wouldn't do it just to make the car look better. Are your other cars tinted?

IMO, the only window that tint would really help is the huge solar collecting windshield, but tinting that isn't legal. All the other windows are more or less vertical and tinting them wouldn't do much to make the car cooler . . . . or keep you from getting sunburned?? We just use a windshield sunblocker when the car is parked

Don

I realize people in hot climates like to tint their windows - one of my used i-MiEVs came with tinting and I don't like it because people outside can't see me - I often gesture to people - wave to neighbors, tell others to go ahead at intersections, or 'oops sorry' if I goof up.

Try to never leave the car parked out in the sun, and have a foam-cored silver sunshade if needbe http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22775#p22775.

A nice little trick is to park the car pointed south in the winter and north in the summer. Windshields ARE the biggest solar collector on the car.

I'm mostly thinking about not having sunlight shining directly on the passengers on hot summer days, and I think it would look nice too. Our family car has tinted windows, which I really like.

I've been able to park the iMiEV in a garage in the winter, so I'm not concerned with trying to capture sunlight in the winter. Besides, the days are short and cloudy anyways.

On our Prius, the hatch and rear windows have a pretty dark tint, the front windows are tinted, but not as much, and there's a stripe of tint across the very top of the windshield.

DSC_1356.jpg

Any professional tint shop should be able to do what you want

There are two types of cars with tinted windows - Those done by the pros and those where the owner attempted to do it themselves. You can spot the difference about a mile away

Don

We had ours done at Mark Mitsubishi and have been quite happy with the result. Can't remember the price but recall that was roughly equal to what other shops were asking.

In Phoenix, we couldn't live without it. We also use a silver sun screen during the later spring months because of the heat (it was 100 degrees here earlier this week, a record) and a Budge during the really hot months. We couldn't live without them either.

I've noticed that my i-MiEV's windows have a subtle tint to them, not so much that I'd have classified them as "tinted windows", but enough that I can see a slightly darker, greener image if I have the door open and compare the view through the window with the view straight through the air. I kind of figured it was standard?

Yes, when I look at my windows, there's a tiny bit of a green hue. It's only the tiniest difference in the amount of light going through the glass versus having the window open. My understanding of automotive windows is that the color just has to do with how the glass is made. That is considered a clear glass, though. It's never as clear as window glass in a home.

bennelson said:
That is considered a clear glass, though. It's never as clear as window glass in a home.
The glass in my house has a chemical coating on the inside (insulated dual pane glass) which blocks much of the sun's UV rays and yet the glass is virtually clear - It's called low E glass. You can Google it

CARB , the California Air Resources Board mandated that all auto glass sold in the state beginning in 2012 be low E glass which keeps car interiors cooler in the summer and lessens the need for air conditioning. Since all Mitsu's are 50 state cars, the low E glass should already be in all our cars

http://blog.appliedmaterials.com/california%E2%80%99s-low-e-auto-glass-regulation-help-curb-emissions

It seems Mitsu has effectively tinted your windows for you - You shouldn't be getting sunburned!

I probably just saved you $200 Ben! - You're welcome :mrgreen:

Don

sandange said:
One disadvantage to the uv windshield treatment is that my eyeglasses thatl automatically tint do not darken when I drive.
Very interesting - That would seem to indicate that the iMiEV windshield really is low E glass

Don

Back