Tesla Model 3

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps we can continue the plug/charging discussion here.

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2767

So much of the internet is abuzz with Tesla 3 articles. This one has a curiously downbeat title but, in fact, isn't the Tesla slam you would expect it to be . . .

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2016/04/sorry_tesla_model_3_wont_save.html

Rather, it's an a fair evaluation of how much carbon emissions the entire (almost all currently fossil fuel based) light duty transportation sector is putting into the air and how large that sector is (88.5 million vehicles sold in 2015, although it's unclear if that number also includes already manufactured used vehicles being resold, mixed in with newly manufactured one.) It's also a fairy good and realistically stated argument for electric cars . . . lots of them.

If there is anything contained within that is a slight to Tesla, it's that they're not going to be capable to do it all on their own and that all players in the automotive sector are going to have to give us electric cars to choose from. The hope is expressed that the Model 3 will represent a tipping point to influence all these other manufacturers to move in the right direction. But the slightly less than 300 thousand Model 3s that have been reserved with deposits and won't be here for at least a few more years? That's still pretty much a ripple in the pond, even if it's an important ripple.

Benjamin Nead said:
If there is anything contained within that is a slight to Tesla, it's that they're not going to be capable to do it all on their own
But isn't that what Elon's always said?

That was a surprisingly fair article.

There's no way Tesla is going to do this all alone, but that was never their plan. They want to make everyone else produce EVs. The Model 3 marks the completion of the master plan to get Tesla to the point of being a mainstream car company. The 3 knocks down the final large barriers of having enough range for an affordable price, while also being what I assume to be an awesome car (following in the S footsteps).

Touching on the emissions figures in that article, I'd like to see what the energy mix is for the current EVs. Mainly, how many EV drivers have their own RE system, the grid mix for those that don't, etc. I estimate that 40% of EV drivers own RE equipment and/or live in areas with a high percentage of renewable energy powering the grid.

PV1 said:
...I'd like to see what the energy mix is for the current EVs. Mainly, how many EV drivers have their own RE system, the grid mix for those that don't, etc. I estimate that 40% of EV drivers own RE equipment and/or live in areas with a high percentage of renewable energy powering the grid.
I would have thought far more, but, at least in California, you were right on!

http://evobsession.com/39-of-california-ev-owners-have-solar-panels/

Wow. Nice to see some official statistics.

I heard early on (when the LEAF was first released) that 50% of EV drivers had solar panels. I figured that percentage tanked with more mainstream buyers purchasing EVs. Glad to see that my over-estimation wasn't so over.

What's amusing is that there is a Volt driving around with the license plate "PA Coal" :roll: . At least we agreed that it was better than oil when we chatted one day (took the niece and nephew trick or treating for Halloween. I could see the Volt in the garage, but I didn't see the plate at first).

yes, the problem seems unsurmountable but at least Tesla is doing something about it and heading in the right direction. After we test drove the Model S, I suggested to Telsa that they ought to offer a PV+car package combo.

I'm a fan of what Tesla is doing, for the most part. What concerns me is that they've put so much emphasis in recent years on how fast and luxurious their cars are that they've developed a vocal internet fan base who seem to care about little else. There are also some in this coterie who are thoroughly convinced that Tesla is the only company who is going to build suitable modern EVs and that all the other established makers will be out of business within the decade, even if these other companies decide to go full bore into electric car development. If you attempt to point out the fallacies of these observations to these people, they instantly paint you as anti-Tesla. At one blog where I used to regularly post that has a tendency to write articles that go completely overboard on their Tesla adoration, I was called anti-electric-car by one poster when I questioned the excesses of the Model X's luxury accommodations. Rather than submit yet another protracted reply in an attempt to present a nuanced counter view, I chose to stay silent on that one, shake my head in bewilderment and move on.

So, I'm once again glad that Elon opened the Model 3 rollout with a climate change preamble and that he has realistically stated many times that he doesn't want to be the only car company in the electric car biz. That article I linked to above seemed to sum up those sentiments and present the big picture of where we are and how far we have to go.

Anyone else get this email today ?

"Thank you for helping us make history and introduce Model 3 to the world.

In the first 24 hours Model 3 received over 180,000 reservations, setting the record for the highest single-day sales of any product of any kind ever in world history.

More importantly, we took a huge step towards building a better future by accelerating the transition to sustainable transportation.

Like every Tesla, Model 3 is engineered to combine range, performance, utility and designed to be the safest car in its class. It accelerates from zero to 60 mph in less than six seconds, and can travel 215 miles on a single charge. Starting at $35,000, Model 3 comes standard with Autopilot hardware and Supercharging capability. "

Yep. Got it early this morning. They also said they are re-thinking their production plans to minimize the wait.

Maybe this is why the Model 3 seemed familiar when I first saw it. This image is of the Aptera 4e concept (the 2e was Aptera's primary vehicle that never was):

aptera-4e-canyon-cutter-design-2011_100373165_l.jpg

Supposedly, reveal #2 is real soon.

I had been a long-time Aptera reservation holder. Its claim-to-fame was it's ultra-low coefficient of drag, combined with a small frontal area. The above conceptual sketch showing the covered wheelwells is wonderful IMO, and I sure wish some automaker would be brave enough to defy the currently-in-vogue 'aggressive' styling and implement this. Sadly, Tesla has veered away from this, even dropping their original (optional?) aerodynamic wheels because of their looks.

Pity that the weenies from Detroit Aptera hired were more concerned with fluff than with getting a functional cost-effective electric vehicle into production.

Battery production has begun at the Gigafactory!
https://www.tesla.com/blog/battery-cell-production-begins-gigafactory

They're also starting solar cell production in New York this summer.
https://www.tesla.com/blog/tesla-and-panasonic-will-begin-manufacturing-solar-cells-modules-in-buffalo-ny

Latest pictures of "in the wild" Model 3 test cars. I'm liking the updated color scheme of the interior. With the right material and texture, that dash will look good and be really easy to clean, all while keeping glare down (three things the I-MiEV dash does rather well).

My grind is the fit and finish of the body panels, which makes it obvious to me that the front and rear bumpers will change on the production cars. No way Tesla would release a car with seams that uneven.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2123278/

Getting closer. Some reports say reveal is June 2nd or 3rd, but officially, it's still slated in July (at least start of production).

Bolt or 3 as Koorz replacement, that's the question :mrgreen: .

PV1 said:
...Bolt or 3 as Koorz replacement, that's the question :mrgreen: .
With Tesla HQ almost in my backyard and owning a MS85, I'm a Tesla fanboi; however, the practicality of the Bolt and especially its wonderful ability to control regen (both one-pedal driving as well as paddle control) makes it a tough decision provided long-distance driving is not on the table.

Although I can't forgive GM for their historic transgressions (going all the way back to the 1920's and 1930's consciously destroying America's electric suburban train infrastructure) and their continuing ICE corporate culture and lack of BEV charging infrastructure support, IMO their "function over form" is compelling with the BoltEV. I'll know more after test-driving the M3.

Happily, I feel that I presently have the best of both worlds with my i-MiEVs and MS85, and personally don't have to make any vehicle purchase decisions in the forseeable future. :roll:

Yep. The Bolt rides on Michelin Energy Savers at $152 each, so it wins on tires.

I guess this is why Tesla vehicles are consistently among the least efficient EVs available...that and how scarily connected they are.

PV1 said:
Yep. The Bolt rides on Michelin Energy Savers at $152 each, so it wins on tires.

I guess this is why Tesla vehicles are consistently among the least efficient EVs available...that and how scarily connected they are.

Relatively inefficient, but still very efficient in absolute/ comparative terms to oil burners, thus remaining massively ahead of the curve.

Definitely. High 80's still doubles practically every gas burner. I'm curious on the official numbers for the 3, given that it is smaller and should be considerably lighter.

Back