Temperature Control's Green Dot

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed5000

I just noticed after having my car for 6 months that when I place my temperature knob to the green dot my car is in heating mode and putting out heat. I didn't notice it before because I usually leave the vent control in the defrost position and since I can't reach the defrost vents with my hand I had no idea it was heating. I just always had a nice clear windshield. :roll: Then I tried the dash vents and got some heat this morning which I wasn't expecting. Isn't the green dot like the "off" position on your AC/heating controls? For now I using the first blue dot with tha AC light off to keep the heat off.

Yes, the green dot should be no heat/no AC. When you are parked, does the power needle move up into the green zone with the fan on, AC light off, and the temperature on the green dot?

ed5000 said:
I just noticed after having my car for 6 months that when I place my temperature knob to the green dot my car is in heating mode and putting out heat. I didn't notice it before because I usually leave the vent control in the defrost position and since I can't reach the defrost vents with my hand I had no idea it was heating. I just always had a nice clear windshield. :roll: Then I tried the dash vents and got some heat this morning which I wasn't expecting. Isn't the green dot like the "off" position on your AC/heating controls? For now I using the first blue dot with tha AC light off to keep the heat off.

If you were using heat recently and move to the green dot the fan will move latent heat from the heating coil filled with warm fluid. If you are getting warm air without using the heat setting first then something is not right. Even moving the selector to to AC and turning off the AC button does not insure that you are not also powering the heat through some kind of switch or relay issue. You see, when the temp nob is moved to cool a damper bypasses the aforementioned heating coil, it could still be hot but you wouldn't know by feeling the air.

I would say the best way to be sure would be to start the car with the temp selector on the green dot and the fan on (any setting). Looking At the Remaining Range gauge note the value. Move the temp selector to the one of the heat settings. Remaining Range should reduce significantly. Now move the selector back to the green dot and RR should bounce back up to where it was at first.

Aerowhatt

Thanks, I'll try these tests here on the way home and in the morning. It was fairly warm this morning (50 degrees) so I didn't turn on the heat but I'll double check.

Okay, I went home last night with the temp control knob on the first blue dot and got no heat from the dash vents. Then move it to the green dot and still no heat and no drop in RR. Then this morning with the temp control still on the green dot and dash vents on I still got no heat or drop in RR.:mrgreen: The only problem was those dash vents were freezing with the horrible 50 degree outside air temp. ;) So I guess it was some strange anomally. :?: I'll just keep an eye on it. Thanks!

Glad to hear it was temporary. When I first got Bear (my first i-MiEV), I started it to leave my first destination and head to my next stop, and a relay kept clicking the whole time I was driving. It seemed to click back and forth based on whether the motor was using or regenerating power. That was the only time it ever did it. Even with the occasional glitch, the i-MiEV has some pretty solid software.

However, every once in a while I'll hear a relay click on, then back off. Both cars do it, so I guess that is normal behavior.

The only problem was those dash vents were freezing with the horrible 50 degree outside air temp.
You think 50's cold? Try 0 F as a high. Not fun :lol: . I get it, though. Everybody gets acclimated, and the temperature is different every place you go.

Guess what? Mr. Heat is back! I certainly didn't need it thanks to global warming and maybe the thick rain cloud layer we had. It was 59 degrees this morning! That's almost 10 degrees warmer than yesterday! Oh well, It looks like I'm leaving the temp control on the first blue dot for now.

I don't even NEED to use the heat/cool/control at all this week !
It is like SPRING here !!

here is a link to my Temps for the week on Wunderground.
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=01730

And was the RR affected by the switch position as well?

if so then it seems like an alignment issue with the rotary switch underneath the dash and the indicator dial, i.e. the switch is loose in the housing.

haha, tigger's gonna jinx the weather...

tigger19687 said:
I don't even NEED to use the heat/cool/control at all this week !
It is like SPRING here !!

here is a link to my Temps for the week on Wunderground.
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=01730
Wow, using your website it shows nice spring-like weather across the entire US except for some clouds in Minnesota. :cool:

kiev said:
And was the RR affected by the switch position as well?

if so then it seems like an alignment issue with the rotary switch underneath the dash and the indicator dial, i.e. the switch is loose in the housing.

haha, tigger's gonna jinx the weather...
Ooops. :? Forgot the RR. I'll recreate the heating problem again and check for range drop.

Right now I'm trying to sync my new OBD Link LX to my phone and not having much luck. I'll be working on that today. :mrgreen:

Back