OVMS for Mitsubishi i-Miev, Citroen C-Zero and Peugeot iOn

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PV1 said:
Did you configure GPRS settings? Who is your SIM card provider?

What do you get with GPRS?

It will only read SoC information if the car is on or charging. Also, set vehicle type to MI. Did you download the experimental .hex file?

GPRS?
GPRS:
APN:wholesale
User:
Password:
GSM:T-Mobile
GPRS: OK
Server: Connected OK

is set to MI

Experimental hex file? .... OOPS....

Going back in the thread to look for it... :oops:

Would having the standard version 2 hex loaded cause the GPS command to return the wrong location?

Would having the standard version 2 hex loaded cause the GPS command to return the wrong location?
No. That is caused either by no GPS signal or the module can't get to google.com to update the link (your GPRS initialization issue). It appears that the GPRS is working now, and I take it you have a PTel SIM (based on the APN name)?

Experimental hex file? .... OOPS....

Going back in the thread to look for it... :oops:
I'll save you the hassle. It's right here:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System/master/vehicle/firmware/V2_experimental.hex
Right click, and save the file.

No. That is caused either by no GPS signal or the module can't get to google.com to update the link (your GPRS initialization issue). It appears that the GPRS is working now, and I take it you have a PTel SIM (based on the APN name)?
should have plenty of signal. I'll test the antenna on a GPS at home. I do have a PTel SIM. I will verify with them that the pay as you go plan has data.

I'll save you the hassle. It's right here:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System/master/vehicle/firmware/V2_experimental.hex
Right click, and save the file.

Thanks for that. I left my PICkit at home so I'll see if I can bring a windows VM home to run on my Mac then see if I can get the Pickit SW to function on that. If Not, I'll reflash in the morning at work.

interestingly, when I send VERSION, I get:
OVMS Firmware version: 2.6.5/MI/V2

This is from the production V2 from the main site.

:D :p :cool:

Woohoo!!

Mitsi is up and online!

The last fix was the experimental hex file. Even the GPS started working.(?)

Now i want to see if she will page me when she's done charging.

The iPhone app tells me the charge rate, range numbers and temperatures of things.

What other cool thing can it do?

Right now, that's about it. You can:

see battery, motor, and controller temperatures.
see SoC.
see charge voltage and amperage.
see car location.
see range.
receive unplug/full charge notifications.
check 12 volt battery voltage with SMS command DIAG?

Supposedly the new version of the app includes the Open Charge Map, basically a map of locations where OVMS users have charged their cars.

I suppose it's also possible to install one of these in any vehicle just for location tracking. I see the big plus in tracking the car should it get stolen or towed, or if you lend the car to a friend/offspring. I'll be hard-wiring mine in so that I can leave it hooked up while using CaniOn. Mine's installed up underneath the dash and is completely out of sight.

Finished the install today...

Permanently labled both antenna cables at the connecter ends.
Removed the glove box.
Placed both antennas on the dash as far forward as possible. This puts them as far away from metal signal interferance as possable.
Tucked the wires under the forwad edge of the dash where it meets the windshield.
Pulled the passenger side pillar cover and snaked the wires down to the floor.
Ran the diag connector under the lip of the console cover to the space behind the glove box.
Connnected everything.
Velcroed the module to a support above the glovebox cavity.
Coiled antenna cables and velcroed them to the module.
Assured all cables are clear od the glove box cavity.
Installed glove box.
Reattached the pillar cover.

Other than the antennas, which are where the lower windshield meets the dash, nothing is visable.

Does the CANbus wake up when the alarm goes off? I'm wondering if there is the possibility of adding notification of the alarm sounding, or if it's already there.

This functionality somewhat exists now with charge stop notifications, but only while the car is charging.

For UK readers...

Finally gave up with GeoSIM and went with EE sim only deal which costs £1/week as the signal is much better at home. Despite GeoSIM's blurb saying they work with many of the major UK networks (including EE - or T-Mobile, anyway) I never had a reliable signal here. It now works flawlessly at home and having done a 180 mile 'EV Adventure' into the wilds of East Anglia just yesterday (I even met Dale Vince at Ecotricity's Green Britain Centre at Swaffham!), it seems to have good coverage generally with EE. http://shop.ee.co.uk/price-plans/free-sim (100MB 10mins 10texts). MW

In light of the growing number of hacks and data theft going on in the US, I've been giving some serious thought to tightening up my online security.

One thing I've been working on is how to keep the convenience and security of having a connection to my car with OVMS while also making it secure against internet hackers. While it seems like a simple solution to just turn off GPRS on the module, I want to maintain the ability to locate the car should it be stolen or towed, and turning off GPRS kills that ability. So, the solution appears to be to remove the server IP address from the module and delete my account from the server. This also requires that I change notification to SMS and possibly expect a higher bill on the SIM card, though that seems unlikely. Leaving GPRS enabled allows the module to reach Google and send the map link via SMS, but with server address removed, it's not sending the location data to Tesla's servers.

Is it also possible that the module could simply send coordinates via SMS, eliminating the need to be online altogether? Or could it ping the coordinates and send the approximate address via SMS to be compatible with basic cell phones (no Google maps link)? A firmware update could allow both of these. If no GPRS connection, send SMS coordinates. If there is a connection, lookup nearest address and send that.

Also, at the start of a charge, have an option to automatically send STAT? results with the nearest address or coordinates. That way, future location inquires can be checked against the location sent when the car was plugged in.

Aren't the vast majority if 'hacks' down to people not bothering to implement the most basic security? Like having your password left at the default 'password', etc?

I'm quite sure Uncle Sam or Al Qaeda (choose your most appropriate bogeyman) could hack into your car if they really, really wanted to despite you using very secure passwords etc but... why would they want to?

Another point to remember is that, unlike factory installed unit that have tight integration with their cars, OVMS on an imbed cannot control the car were it hacked. Cannot be unlocked, started, stopped or have it's internals mucked with.

I don't care if someone knows the car's location or charge state.

My thoughts may change if OVMS gains the command and control of factory units, but I don't see that happening soon.

I agree about the control portion. Even if the option is enabled by a hacker, OVMS doesn't contain the necessary code to control anything on the car. I think even if it tried to control the car, the most it could do is cause the car to reboot. Now if we drove Tesla Roadsters, however, they could unlock the car, run the battery down, prevent charging, and activate Valet Mode.

Not all hacks are weak passwords. Some are as simple as a bogus email phishing where even very strong passwords are useless if the recipient isn't careful (iCloud intrusion), others are more complex like Heartbleed. Brute force attacks, 0-day attacks, exploits, and such won't be stopped by a password. Most of these are weaknesses in the coding of the software itself.

Also, who's to say that 100% of the support crew for internet servers are totally honest? Hacks aren't always an outsider.

I'm just concerned on location data with OVMS. I know with Google that they track and store the locations of Google Account-connected devices, and users have the option to turn that off, but is that Off button a true off, or does it just make that data invisible to the user? Google makes their money from advertising, especially targeted ads, so they do quite a bit of profiling their users to "ensure you only see ads that are interesting to you." Google isn't the only one, but they're the only company so far that I've read through their privacy policy. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple and others have similar verbiage in their policies. GPS activates when Siri is triggered, and that location and voice data is sent to Apple.

Anybody else getting an error when opening the OVMS app? It seems like the server is down, but the IP address the module points to takes me to the TMC site (as it has in the past even when the module and app work fine).

I can still check the car via SMS.

Just set up an OVMS V2 unit in our recently purchased 2012 MIEV, and wanted to leave a couple of notes which hopefully others thinking about this product will find helpful.

I purchased the unit, GPS/GSM antennae, OBD cable (the "Left" version, part 1139300 brought the cable toward the center console four our US model MIEV) and PICKIT 2 programming unit from Fasttech, and it arrived in about 10 days to the east coast of the US. Flashed the unit with the MIEV experimental firmware version 2.8.1/MI/V2. The PICKIT software I downloaded from the webpage would not communicate with the unit on my Windows 8 laptop (Dell XPS 13), but worked fine on my Windows 7 Desktop PC (an older Sandy Bridge CPU/MB home build).

I used an H2O wireless SIM card that I purchased locally from BestBuy for $4, activated it online, and set it up on the $10 pay as you go plan which is good for 90 days or 100mb, whichever comes first. The $10 every 90 days seems to be the cheapest plan out there. I wish I could use the 200mb/month "Free Data For Life" offer for tablets from T-Mobile, but I guess even if you could get them to activate it, you wouldn't get SMS ability for setup etc. I tested the H2O SIM in a Windows Mobile phone, but with the online activation process, that shouldn't be necessary. To configure the GPRS APN for H2O service, just send the command "GPRS Prodata". After that I started the car with the key, and send a "RESET" command, and since then it has been working well.

Very nice to be able to see the charging status, and I like that public charging locations appear on the map. I'll be curious to look into having the notification texts trigger my home automation system to control charging times based on percentage when at the house.

Thank you to the developers and users who have put in the work to make this solution available, and I'll be curious to see what if any features intrepid drivers come up with!

Congrats.

I use an older Inspiron E1505 with Windows XP for the PICKit. I've only needed it two or three times, but definitely a necessary tool.

Do you know which carrier H20 uses for their network? I have PTel, which uses T-Mobile's network, but I don't have that great of coverage. It looks like you're paying about half of what I am.

PV1 said:
Congrats.
Do you know which carrier H20 uses for their network? I have PTel, which uses T-Mobile's network, but I don't have that great of coverage. It looks like you're paying about half of what I am.

H2O uses the AT&T network. The coverage has been very good in my experience (it's been my go-to plan for family members new to smart phones for the last year or two). Also, I learned that in order to set up the account online for refills etc, you have to receive a text with a temporary password. So contrary to what I said in my last post, it seems you DO have to put the SIM card in a phone at least once in order to add the number to your online account. So it seems I'll be digging that SIM out of the OVMS unit sometime in the next 90 days...

I just ordered an OVMS2 for my i this weekend, hopefully shipping to NL doesn't take too long and the import tarifs are not too heavy. Really looking forward to some remote monitoring.

Just got the OVMS in today and got it going. I ran into the same "not charging, 0% SOC" message too, it appears the i goes into sleep if you leave it for a while. After 8 hours on the parking lot at work it was asleep solid. After switching the ignition on it sprang to life seen via STAT?

I'm using KPN here in the Netherlands, but will be swapping out for either a 5 euro a month subscription or a prepaid, it seems the preaid route is by far the cheapest at this point.

I've yet to mount the OVMS somewhere into the cockpit, it's leaning against the left triangle window now. I'm currently running 2.8.1.

Really hoping the OVMS website will give something of a energy consumption graph so I can track things like lifetime energy use. A trip logger if you will, energy used, km travelled and a date and time.

Stick that into a graph that looks like my PVoutput from my solar array and I'd have a nice graph :)
http://pvoutput.org/aggregate.jsp?id=12447&sid=10380&t=m

OVMS is supposed to maintain the last known stats after the car is shut off. These values will clear if the module loses power or is rebooted, and won't update until the car is started or plugged in.

As far as energy graphs, OVMS isn't the app for that, at least not yet. What others have done is:

1. Measure usage at the wall with a meter such as the Kill a Watt or EKM Metering units.
2. Using the Android app CaniOn to log realtime data while driving and charging (not an automated setup, but works great and shows a lot of detail).

Since OVMS has access to the line voltage and amperage, it wouldn't be that difficult to add kWh metering functionality. It won't, however, measure input from the CHAdeMO port, though it does recognize that it is quick charging.

Back