Battery Warrantee extended to 10 years 100,000 miles

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally went to my PO box and There was the letter
:)

I know that if I had not signed up for the Garage thing on their Mitsu website I would not have gotten a notice.

So if you all have not, sign up for it. Great info on it too !

Carsten said:
Doesn't really mean anything, if it's not coupled with a battery degradation percentage/figure. I have 2 years and 36,000mi and will not need the 10 years. I would rather have the deal, that Nissan offers for their batteries.
Maybe not to you, but we have two iMiEV's and there's no way either of them will have 100K on them at the end of 8 years, so for us the extension means a lot!

Thanks Mitsu!!

Don

Don said:
Carsten said:
Doesn't really mean anything, if it's not coupled with a battery degradation percentage/figure. I have 2 years and 36,000mi and will not need the 10 years. I would rather have the deal, that Nissan offers for their batteries.
Maybe not to you, but we have two iMiEV's and there's no way either of them will have 100K on them at the end of 8 years, so for us the extension means a lot!
Bingo! Had the same reaction as Don. After racking up a steady 1000+ miles/month on our original Mitsi, having bought a second and third i-MiEV we have now relegated our original (40K miles) for use as a loaner and for house guests, while we rack up miles on the two newer ones (now 17K and 32K miles). Incidentally, had loaned Mitsi to some friends for a couple of weeks, and they were so impressed with the EV that they ran off and bought a Leaf last week (needed five seats).

I got the same notice and mine reads:
" The main drive litium-ion battery on your 2012 i-MiEV is covered for defects in material and workmanship for 8 years or 100,000 mile, whichever comes first. In the event the main drive lithium-ion battery cannot be charged to full available capacity when properly connected to a properly functioning compatible charger, however, Mitsubishi is extending the warranty on the main drive lithium ion battery to 10 years or 100,000 mile, whichever comes first.
This warranty extension does not apply to gradual capacity loss based on time and usage. The capacity of the main drive lithium-ion battery, like other commonly used li-ion batteries, will decrease according to time and usage. This type of decrease in battery capacity is normal. ..."

This just means, that we are worth off with a MiEV then the Leaf-owners, they have a definite capacity loss to refer to.

BTW, one of the reasons, that I read this so negatively is:
I had the 36,000mi battery check done and they re-calibrated the battery. End result is, that I had regularly 80+ miles(May/June 2015) before and I checked it to/from work and have now low 70th (Mid Sept.).
I don't know, what they did but it stinks. I would not recommend to anyone to get this done, unless there is a need to get the warranty to stick.
Regards,

I think I'd much rather have our warranty than the one Nissan offers on the Leaf

From Green Car Reports "The warranty is designed to protect against battery capacity loss in the first five years or 60,000 miles, for U.S. customers.

Should the battery capacity gauge fall below nine bars (from twelve) in that period, Nissan will repair or replace the battery under warranty with a new or remanufactured unit, "to restore capacity at or above a minimum of nine bars."

Nine bars signifies remaining capacity of approximately 70 percent. Palmer confirms that this warranty is still subject to the same terms, conditions and exclusions found in the existing battery warranty.

The new warranty coverage reflects recent issues experienced by Nissan Leaf owners living in warmer climates."

Our warranty gives us a NEW battery, not a remanufactured one which only restores the capacity to 70% or better. Ours is 10 year, 100K and not the 5 year, 60K that Nissan is offering. You have a 40% capacity loss on your Leaf, Nissan repairs the pack so you only have a 30% or less capacity loss - Whoopty Doo!! :roll:

Nissan only offered this because there have been numerous instances of capacity loss of 30% or greater, especially for cars in hot climates. I haven't read of a single instance where a Mitsu battery has had a capacity loss of 30% so far - Not one. I think to date, every warranty replacement has been to correct for a bad cell which does not allow the pack to charge properly - THAT would be the biggest concern for me. I'm not terribly worried about seeing a 30% loss on either of my cars . . . . I don't drive a Leaf. They need an enhanced warranty, but 5 years, 60K only restoring it to 70% or more sure wouldn't make me sleep any better if I owned a Leaf

Don

Carsten said:
I had the 36,000mi battery check done and they re-calibrated the battery. End result is, that I had regularly 80+ miles(May/June 2015) before and I checked it to/from work and have now low 70th (Mid Sept.).
I don't know, what they did but it stinks.
I seriously doubt that you lost actual range due to the recalibration. The whole idea of a recalibration is to get the range indicator to give you a more accurate reading... which may (and often will) mean that it reveals you already had less real range than you thought you had, if you trusted the meter.

Carsten said:
they re-calibrated the battery. End result is, that I had regularly 80+ miles(May/June 2015) before and I checked it to/from work and have now low 70th (Mid Sept.).
I don't know, what they did but it stinks.

Very interesting Carsten, is there anything in your charging regimen that may have exaggerated the range, such as not periodically discharging to below two bars and then doing a full recharge in a single session? I suspect that repeated shallow discharges followed by a full recharge will also exaggerate the RR until another deep discharges proves it wrong.

The main thing that changes RR in our car, besides the weather getting colder (35 degrees this morning) is whether it was my wife or myself that drove it last! :twisted:

It's been pointed out to me that the battery check at the dealer is null and void with a software update done to the cars early on. Basically, a re-calibration is done by a full recharge from 2 bars or less. The dealer can still do their check and calibration, but it shouldn't be necessary as the car can do it automatically.

I've noticed with not fully charging and wide temperature swings (40's F at night, 70's F during the day), that the RR will change from when the car was parked when arriving at work and leaving work. It didn't move much, but enough for me to notice. this was when I would charge at Nissan after work while my cord was getting upgraded.

We are drifting off-topic a bit (Joe, if you would like to split these posts off into another thread, I haven't quite figured it out yet), but did the weather cool off around the same time that the RR changed? When was the last time you did a 2-bar to full charge? Also, check that your AC is off and the temperature knob didn't get knocked into the red zone (AC is an instant 10 miles off the RR, heat is roughly 15).

Carsten said:
I got the same notice and mine reads:
" The main drive litium-ion battery on your 2012 i-MiEV is covered for defects in material and workmanship for 8 years or 100,000 mile, whichever comes first. In the event the main drive lithium-ion battery cannot be charged to full available capacity when properly connected to a properly functioning compatible charger, however, Mitsubishi is extending the warranty on the main drive lithium ion battery to 10 years or 100,000 mile, whichever comes first.
This warranty extension does not apply to gradual capacity loss based on time and usage. The capacity of the main drive lithium-ion battery, like other commonly used li-ion batteries, will decrease according to time and usage. This type of decrease in battery capacity is normal. ..."

This just means, that we are worth off with a MiEV then the Leaf-owners, they have a definite capacity loss to refer to.

BTW, one of the reasons, that I read this so negatively is:
I don't know, what they did but it stinks. I would not recommend to anyone to get this done, unless there is a need to get the warranty to stick.
Regards,

Probably you are right, they re-calibrated the battery. And maybe that was important because maybe the car was thinking that it could do more miles then it could do in the reality, stopping without even going to turtle mode. With the re-calibration, now when discharging, the car will have a turtle to do five miles and will keep the cells far from 2,75 V, the lower limit, thing that it was maybe not doing anymore.

Don said:
I think I'd much rather have our warranty than the one Nissan offers on the Leaf

From Green Car Reports "The warranty is designed to protect against battery capacity loss in the first five years or 60,000 miles, for U.S. customers.

Should the battery capacity gauge fall below nine bars (from twelve) in that period, Nissan will repair or replace the battery under warranty with a new or remanufactured unit, "to restore capacity at or above a minimum of nine bars."

Nine bars signifies remaining capacity of approximately 70 percent. Palmer confirms that this warranty is still subject to the same terms, conditions and exclusions found in the existing battery warranty.

The new warranty coverage reflects recent issues experienced by Nissan Leaf owners living in warmer climates."

Our warranty gives us a NEW battery, not a remanufactured one which only restores the capacity to 70% or better. Ours is 10 year, 100K and not the 5 year, 60K that Nissan is offering. You have a 40% capacity loss on your Leaf, Nissan repairs the pack so you only have a 30% or less capacity loss - Whoopty Doo!! :roll:

Nissan only offered this because there have been numerous instances of capacity loss of 30% or greater, especially for cars in hot climates. I haven't read of a single instance where a Mitsu battery has had a capacity loss of 30% so far - Not one. I think to date, every warranty replacement has been to correct for a bad cell which does not allow the pack to charge properly - THAT would be the biggest concern for me. I'm not terribly worried about seeing a 30% loss on either of my cars . . . . I don't drive a Leaf. They need an enhanced warranty, but 5 years, 60K only restoring it to 70% or more sure wouldn't make me sleep any better if I owned a Leaf

Don

There was a description in this forum of one i-MiEV that lost more then 30% in two years, one from Las Vegas(http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2648&hilit=Las+vegas). That was not a single cell failure, that was general loss of capacity. And mine, if it don't has 30% degradation, is very close to it (last number of current battery capacity is 35 Ah, from june 2015). And I know one Leaf here in Portugal, that lost 4 bars in 3 years, and they simply gave him a new one (and not restoring just one bar). So, Nissan didn't restore 70% capacity, they restore 100% capacity. I think the i-MiEV should have, like the Leaf, the bars of the current capacity, and they should give a new battery for those who lost 30% in 5 years, like what happens with the Leaf. If I owned a Leaf, maybe I was near of getting a new battery...

But I prefer the i-MiEV, now I know ways of preserving the capacity of its battery and the rate of loss of capacity decreased to around 3%/year (from 8% in the first three years), what would be not so easy with the closed pack of a Leaf.

My 2011 C-Zero has about 90% left (assuming it had 16 kWh usable to begin with - it would now seem to have 14.5 kWh - 13 kWh to 10%). That's about 2% per year. I the first three years when I didn't have it yet, it only gained less than 10.000 km to it's odometer though. It has spent it's whole live in cold Finland. I've accidentally once tried to charge it while frozen, when CaniOn was reporting wrong temperatures. I don't know if the previous owners (including Santa Claus) have done it. Hopefully not and based on battery status I think they haven't.

Coming to Canadian i-Miev owners too :cool:

I've just received this letter (Mine was built FEB 2012):
21869711661_ffe15a8646_c.jpg

I finally READ the letter today.
I do have the battery lengthened, AND the recall.
It does say that there IS a recall. Not sure if the wording makes it sound more like it MIGHT need to be replaced or that is NEEDS to be replaced.
But my Garage on Mitsu website says no recalls .. hmmm

Back