Transmission modification

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmytoy

Hi Guys,
I run a small security firm, decided to put one of these on a patrol run and would like to only let the operators select then eco mode, how can i disable the D and B mode ?

cmytoy, welcome to the forum. I think the i-MiEV is a perfect security patrol car, unless you expect more than about 50 miles/shift. It's silence for running around at night will ensure minimal disturbance in a neighborhood.

You do realize that full power is still available in ECO if you stomp on the accelerator?

Is your intention to simply maximize driving range? Are you on level ground or a hilly region? - my reason for asking is that B mode can be beneficial if judicially used.

To answer your question, I don't think anyone has messed with the mode selector switches which are actuated by the 'shift' lever- we really don't call it a transmission as the car has none.

Edit: I'm wrong - it is called a transmission and it has a geartrain, but nothing that 'shifts'. :oops:

Great vehicle for security patrols! I'll ditto Joe about whether disabling any modes would be worthwhile, but on the Shift Position Switch (which is located on the transaxle itself, controlled by a cable from the shifter, which seems a holdover from the ICE version of the car), the terminal number for D is 4-5 and for B is 4-6. (from page 22A-5 of the Helm manual) Disconnecting any of those electrical connections is likely to have unintended consequences, like throwing trouble codes that might even prevent operation of the vehicle.

It would seem easier to add a mechanical gate on the shifter or a stop block back at the transaxle end of the shifter cable to lock out B Mode if you want to keep the operators from engaging in 'hot pursuit'. :lol:

Back