Spare Wheels

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aerowhatt said:
I'm beyond uncomfortable without a spare tire and am looking at possibilities...
Share your concern which is why I have a Rubbermaid box with a small jack and lugwrench and two Gen1 Honda Insight lightweight spacesaver wheels in it. I stick this box into the i-MiEV whenever I take a longer trip or whenever wife isn't around to bring it to me. Can't find the post with a picture of it... :( ... ah, found it, it's in one of the photos in this post: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14722#p14722

Aerowhatt said:
TEMPORARY SPARE TIRE After an exhaustive search of specs etc. The information led me back to my own garage and my wife's 2013 Honda Fit. I just returned from a test run with the Fit's stock temp spare (15in steel wheel) on the front. Then a second drive with it on the rear....One workable temporary spare for both ends of the car :eek:
Aerowhatt, thank you doing the test and publishing the results. Those spacesaver wheels+tires are very inexpensive at salvage yards, so glad we have a viable solution. Do you have a rim identification or part number for this spare?

JoeS said:
Aerowhatt, thank you doing the test and publishing the results. Those spacesaver wheels+tires are very inexpensive at salvage yards, so glad we have a viable solution. Do you have a rim identification or part number for this spare?

Here are the numbers for the spare. By the way I easily found one on eBay which was salvage but from the photos had never seen the pavement for $126 and free shipping.

The wheel is stamped 15x4T (which is why is fits on the front). also a number on the rim 0212130

The tire is a Dunlop Space miser MkIII Size T135/80D15 . . . 60 psi

The one I purchased that I don't have quite yet, is the same but a Bridgestone brand tire in the same size. Don't let the T's throw you off anyone. They just brand it as a temporary use unit.

Aerowhatt

Aerowhatt, thank you for posting these photos.

I just completed (?) moving all spare-wheel-related discussions into this thread, so you'all may want to go back to the beginning of this thread to see them. Let me know (in a PM) if there are any other such posts that you think should be moved into here.

I just thought I would update this old thread with some new information. I've been carrying around the 2013 Honda Fit spare tire for three years and unfortunately we finally needed to use it (The wheel is stamped 15x4T, tire size T135/80D15 . . . 60 psi) . My wife came home last Friday evening with a low (going flat, right rear tire). A cotter pin in the near tread sidewall was the culprit. Tire shops won't attempt a fix because of the pins location (seems like by now a tiny puncture like this should have a viable fix available for the sidewall). Anyway, about $400.00 for a Saturday fix with local Dunlop OEM tires replacing both rears. Saving $80.00 by doing some foot work and being patient. Long story short (too late) she has been driving with the temp spare on the right rear with no issues. Up to around 65 miles so far with no Traction Control System or Regen issues at all. She says the car feels absolutely normal to her. I thought so too when I took in for an errand on Saturday.

IMO this is the best choice for a temporary spare on these cars. Very, very close to OEM circumference for front or rear tire temporary service replacement. Now road tested to my satisfaction ;)

Aerowhatt

Aerowhatt, thanks for this update. Certainly a better solution than the two Insight spares I carry with me, as my mismatched wheels mean I need to change both left and right at the same time. Luckily, only had to do it once so far when the overinflated Yoko blew out.

Back