Euro spec i-MiEV, 2013 mod, LED headlights

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can really see the difference between the International and the NA versions. The seats are right next to the doors in the International and the windshield is a bit smaller. Nice trick with the dash filler on the NA versions.

Where are your turn signals? Are they embedded in the headlight module? I know in Canada, that the turn signals have to be 6" away from the headlights. Some cars like Chryslers actually turn off the headlight on the turning side to meet this requirement. I guess MMC decided to just add turn signals to the NA versions to avoid issues with this.

I thought this thread would be appropriate for my inquiry.

I would like to take my NA iMiEV and export it to Europe, specifically Czech Republic. The more I learn about the process, the more headache I get. There is a number of modifications that have to be performed to meet the EU standards and I am lucky the turn signals are already orange. In addition, many components on the vehicle have to have EU homologation emboss/engrave and technical specifications have to be supplied by local brand representative. List of non-compliant parts has to be submitted to the Ministry of transportation for approval of an exception.

Pertaining to this thread are EU headlights that HAVE to be height adjustable. The NA version does not have it although in some parts of this forum, people were exploring this. Apparently, portions of the mechanism in headlight assembly is still present there.
Did anyone convert the NA spec headlights to have height levelling feature?
Can anyone in EU zone get access to necessary parts to execute the conversion? Even if it means replacing the whole headlight assembly.
Is ECU reprogramming necessary?

Thanks!

I've been wondering about adding the knob and enabling the level function as well. Mitsubishi's adjustment knob fits in the blank beside the ASC Off button, but I haven't explored the dash enough to see if the wiring is there.

MLucas said:
Where are your turn signals? Are they embedded in the headlight module? I know in Canada, that the turn signals have to be 6" away from the headlights. Some cars like Chryslers actually turn off the headlight on the turning side to meet this requirement. I guess MMC decided to just add turn signals to the NA versions to avoid issues with this.

I much prefer the turn signals to be way clear of the headlights, much easier to see when someone's coming towards you with their highbeams on during a rainy night.

Dare I say it, but I think the i-MiEV has the most ideal exterior lighting with excellent headlight aiming and distribution. The only improvement I can think of is to have the side marker double as a turn signal.

"World" i-MiEVs have the turn signal in the section below the front marker lights, beside the high beam lamp. You can visibly tell the difference as this section is amber on world cars, but clear-ish on NA cars.

jaraczs said:
Pertaining to this thread are EU headlights that HAVE to be height adjustable. The NA version does not have it although in some parts of this forum, people were exploring this. Apparently, portions of the mechanism in headlight assembly is still present there.
Here is a photo of my car:
SANY0012MIEVHEADLAMPADJUSTER_zps62545713.jpg

From the manual:
AC314086AB00ENG_zpscd8dcb71.png

1.The headlamp leveling switch increases the resistance as it is turned from 0 to 4. Turning the headlamp leveling switch changes the voltage at point A. When the headlamp leveling switch is turned from 0 to 4, the voltage at point A decreases. Upon detection of this voltage change, the headlamp leveling unit turns the motor to lower the beam direction. At this time, the resistance of the variable resistor in the headlamp assembly changes, and the voltage at point B decreases gradually. When the voltages at points A and B become equal, the headlamp leveling unit stops the motor.
2.Turning the headlamp leveling switch from 4 to 0 increases the voltage at point A, and then the headlamp leveling unit turns the motor in the direction opposite to that mentioned in Item 1, increasing the voltage at point B. When the voltages at points A and B become equal, the headlamp leveling unit stops the motor.
3.The headlamp leveling unit detects voltage changes caused by headlamp leveling switch operation, and turns the motor to change the directions of the headlamp reflectors for the adjustment of the headlamp beam direction.

The first step might be to trace the pinion gear cable. It might go to the dashboard near the switch location. The next step might be to make a parts list. Would any of these needed parts be in USA savage yards?

John,
Thanks for the photo. I just checked my unit and it looks the same as your. The headlights have the same connectors as the EU iMiEV (A-13 and A-26) but there are no wires for the leveling system coming in (#3, 6, and 9). So, it is pretty bad. I will have to lay down the wires, get the leveling devices and leveling knob inside the car. I don't think EU dealers will be eager to help as they would rather prefer to sell the whole car to me.
Do we have anyone from EU to shoot a picture of the leveling system?
Thanks, Stan

I managed to remove left headlight assembly for closer inspection. A project I ventured into earlier but was not able to complete it. The pinion cable that some of you noticed at the high beam lamp actually extends to the low beam so that when you adjust level of high beam, it will adjust the low beam as well without the need to remove the whole unit:
16159127517_163db24e98_z.jpg

Detail of the suspected "slot" for the leveling motor:
16344130962_787bbd4bcf_z.jpg

Vehicle front with a hole after removing the headlight (you may notice the wires and fuse box from my diesel heater):
16343264431_afc742f0fa_z.jpg

A rare look into the area under hood behind the top panel with power steering cylinder and windshield wiper motor and rods:
16345004265_e6e64307ea_z.jpg

Now, if anyone can show me where to get the leveling motor/unit, this is a million dollar question. I suspect Mitsubishi does not sell it separately. Why should they?

http://www.carwear.com.au/mitsubishi-cj-lancer-07-13-leveling-motors-leveling-switch-add-on-package/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-...-Motor-Headlight-Valeo-RIGHT-RH-/160887320107

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67653

http://www.awdmotorsports.com/product_p/8614a038.htm

Thanks for the links. Although the control knob for Lancer looks like a good fit, the motor units have no place to go on US iMiEV headlamp assembly. It is just different headlight.

After more detailed inspection of my iMiEV, there is absolutely no wiring for the headlamp leveling system anywhere in the car. I searched net for EU spec iMiEV headlights, iMiEV leveling system, universal leveling systems, examples of someone doing it - no success.
However, I found Eric from this forum who is located in Netherlands and has iMiEV that was involved in an accident. He could provide the left headlight and the control knob :) but the right headlight was completely destroyed during the crash. Partial fulfillment just does not fit the bill for me. I asked him to inspect the headlight, take some photos and send it to me.
I may end up buying both headlight assemblies in EU and the knob and maybe even the labor of the official installer. What if the EU spec headlights don't fit the US frame? They are certainly different as they incorporate the amber turn signal. I am going to write letter to the ministry of transportation of Czech republic whether they can grant exception. There is still possibility that I will give up and sell the car here in the US before I move and that would be the most painful thing for me to do. :(

Looking at your pictures, it also looks like there is no way to put a bulb in the space below the marker light, either. I'm interested in a leveling system as well, because I'd like to raise my low beams from time to time, just calibrate the system so that number 2 is where the lights should be.

Which market has the LED headlights, Japan?

jaraczs said:
... I may end up buying ... the labor of the official installer. What if the EU spec headlights don't fit the US frame? ...
I'm sure your potential installer can make it work. Could you email the your potential installers for their insight?

Very interesting Jaracz, though I note on the vendor's website that
THEY DO NOT SUIT 314-1142PXUS2 (not sure if that also implies incompatibility with us-spec iMiEV headlamps)

If you want a set, I'll be going to Hong Kong next month, so we could have them delivered there for me to carry back to the USA

Jray, thank you for your offer. I will keep it as an option.

I managed to identify pictures and availability of Euro spec headlights on Polish site:
http://allegro.pl/mitsubishi-i-miev-i-miev-lampa-lewa-przod-przednia-i5000032477.html
http://allegro.pl/mitsubishi-i-miev-i-miev-lampa-przednia-prawa-i5011545442.html

A big deal of success. I have to discredit Google that insists to search based on my location and disallows ex-US location setup. Bing let me do that.
Now, after close inspection of the images, it looks like the bracket/fixture bolting to the front bar is somewhat shorter vs. NA spec headlight. This is a red flag. Looking into the mechanism of leveling, the motor is attached to where the US pinion cable ends and EU spec has pinion and cable starting and ending at different locations. We actually have some secret leveling components hidden underneath a black plastic cover on the assembly with one-way bolts just in case someone wants to take the cover out and install the pinion cable in the Euro style. I am getting closer to solution with these parts :D

Just an update on headlight leveling as well as overall modification to meet EU spec.
I managed to get headlight leveling switch from eBuy, although it is different Mitsu model and different year. It won't illuminate when the dash lights come on. The resistance values start with ~780 Ohm to ~2100 Ohm, depending on the position of the switch knob and whether the resistance is measured vs. +12V or ground wire. So, I ended up passing only 1 wire through the firewall using the opening on the floor below the air handling unit. When the vehicle arrives to EU, I will purchase used EU headlights and replace the stock US headlights while using an adapter to anchor it properly to the frame. The amber turn lights will not be rewired, though. Honestly, I hate this modification but this is the only legal way how to comply with EU and register the car in the EU. The US headlights cannot be easily modified and I could just end up destroying them.
16554836502_273c589736_z.jpg

Technically, if authorized inspection station measures (for a fee) the beam of the headlight in fully loaded vehicle and it still meets the specs, exception can be granted. The problem is, the nearest authorized facility is 250 miles away from my new location in the Czech republic. It would take lots of resources to have it done and the result can be negative, of course.

The good thing is, I can continue driving with NJ plates right off the boat for a few months as long as the vehicle is properly insured. This gives me a cushion to figure all modifications and paperwork.

The other project is installation of rear fog light, which is mandatory in EU:
16370024657_39a1321b00_z.jpg

BTW, the rear side markers are not allowed in EU. I will see whether the inspection technician finds out. If so, I will take the light bulbs out and paint the markers over.

Today was the big day, I have dropped our precious iMiEV to the shipping company. You may notice the vehicle is loaded with boxes. Let me tell you, we have been able to put in the car LOTS of other things.
16556039415_27c7002bbc_z.jpg
16369742639_5da2ffc1b9_z.jpg

I have picked up the iMiEV in April 2015 in Poland, transported it on a trailer to Czech Republic.
10003274_10153072106973891_8243278795003073417_n.jpg

Then, I coordinated with family and local authorities to finally get it adopted a few days ago.
21236181922_4fd5761b73_h.jpg

20623979104_07f823334c_h.jpg

I still have to pass the inspection, though. Then, the inspection repeats every 2 years.

jaraczs, thank you for the update. Delighted to see that your car arrived safe and sound - wow, probably the only North American i-MiEV in Europe! Good luck in jumping through all the inspection hoops. Wishing you many safe and pleasant European miles with your i-MiEV.

Hello iMiEV fans! :eek: Long time no see. Guess what, that little EV is still in service in Czech Republic. :D :D :D Every Summer when I visit my home town, the car is there for me. Now, many things happened over those three years, lets get into it:

Since the import, the vehicle was driven by my father when I was in the USA. In the Spring of 2016, the airbag error lamp came off. It turned out to be a long time headache. Local inspection station could not read any codes because they don't have database for the US spec iMiEV and local Mitsu dealer refused to try.
Please remember that the vehicle missed 2 recalls: passenger airbag and impact sensors replacement. After much circling between NA Mitsu and local Mitsu dealer, it looked like I will be out of luck so I paid $$ to buy the branded error code reader. :( It clearly showed one of the impact sensors failure. ;)
I am pressing on NA Mitsu again and finally, in May 2017, they agreed to partner with EU representation to arrange for both recalls. :D :D The local dealer didn't get all parts and instructions until November 2017 at which point the vehicle's inspection was expired because you can't drive car in the EU with error light on the dash.
In the mean time, my dad passed away in February 2017 :cry: :cry: and my mom took over the vehicle. :!: :!: I have experienced some hard times as my mom suffers neurodegenerative disease and has been feeding me false information about vehicle failures (e.g. she forgot the car does not make noise when started).
In April 2018, I have traveled to CZ to replace 12V battery, got temporary service permit and finally took the car to the local dealer. They replaced 4 impact sensors and passenger airbag. The airbag error light remained!!! :!: Further, they forgot to attach the hazard light connector in the dash. :roll: :roll: I have wondered around and got a tip to expert located in Poland within driving range of the car. :idea: :idea: The time was up so I handed the car to my cousin and said: " If you take the car to Poland, have it fixed and make it back for regular inspection, you can drive it as much as you want except of the time I am in Czechia!" He agreed and a few weeks later, the car was fixed. :D :D

I visited CZ again last month and let me tell you, the car rides just as new, except the range is maybe ~15% shorter. Given that I have Winter tires on it, this is not too bad. :) :) We can still comfortably travel to my wife's home town in Slovakia (80 km) with luxury margin, charge there and return back. As I type this, my family is in Slovakia enjoying the little iMiEV until later in August when they all return to NJ. Here, I drive my 2015 Nissan Leaf and my wife 2017 Chevy Bolt.

43058704624_d5d7ef17db_h.jpg

In Bytca, Slovakia

43775055791_32f51de0d4_h.jpg

Oldrichovice, Czechia. Local used car seller offers Citroen C-Zero for sale

Back