Head Rest

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Sometimes these unfortunate things happen and all of a sudden some other unexpected opportunity comes of it.
Most important is fortunately you're ok.

Likewise, condolences on the collision, glad the car protected you, and Insight- RIP. I just tried to find John Wayland's story of his first Insight getting crushed by a high speed rear-ender on the Interstate! Needless to say, it only cemented his approval of that design, and today, his Silver Streak Insight is a converted EV that can go from Portland to Seattle at highway speed in a single charge (it takes at least 5 dcqc sessions to do that in an i-MiEV.

But Joe, why'd you put the classic at such risk when we're hungry for i-MiEV collision data and salvaged battery packs? :roll:

Thank you all for your commiserations. Must say, it's an 'interesting' experience trying to convince the insurance company that my tricked-out Insight (with a whole bunch of custom engine and motor control gadgetry) and a LIFETIME 77mpg and a fairly-new battery pack is not your run-of-the-mill vehicle. Perhaps I'll still get to keep it... if not, then I'll let the Insight Central community know about its availability.
jray3 said:
But Joe, why'd you put the classic at such risk when we're hungry for i-MiEV collision data and salvaged battery packs? :roll:
Yes, I'd have actually preferred the i-MiEV to have been sacrificed, so I could take it apart and also get a CHAdeMO version... unfortunately, the accident happened about 250 miles from home.

Back on-topic: the iMiEV's uncomfortable headrests do indeed perform a useful function in that, by pushing our head forward, they pretty-well maintain contact with our heads and minimize the distance our head would travel should the car get whapped from behind.

I've been in an imiev crash myself now....
Rear ended while stopped at a red light.
Got a bit of whiplash from it but not too bad.

Now I get to find out how hard it is to use imiev salvaged parts in a conversion....

I turned my headrests around. Works great.
Would like to swap the rear for the front, but since it is not listed in this thread, I am guessing that it won't fit

Yes, the rear headrests have a narrower arm spacing than the front. I finally got used to the headrest constantly pushing the head forward slightly; however, unless I have passengers, I remove all the other headrests. Their vision obstruction I consider downright dangerous, as are the vision-obstructing rear and front pillars on almost all modern cars. NHTSA should focus more on accident avoidance, IMO.</rant>

I agree about the front pillars. I almost had a collision with a van that was completely hidden from view by the pillar. The i-MiEV has stellar outward visibility otherwise.

I found that the front headrests between the i-MiEV and a 2010 F-150 are interchangeable. The problem is, we actually took the headrests from the i-MiEV and put them in the F-150 before leaving for vacation :lol: . I don't mind the i-MiEV headrests one bit, but the ones in the F-150 are terrible. So, the headrests in Bear have been to the Outer Banks :lol: .

My only wish is that the front seat flipped forward to create a flat floor from the back all the way to the dashboard.

As many of you might recall, my least-favorite thing about the i-MiEV is the intrusive and obtrusive headrests. Not only do I usually have the back seats down (and thus the rear headrests stowed), but I take off the passenger-seat headrest as well, but do leave the driver's seat headrest in place.

Although I normally stow the rear-seat headrests in one of the Rubbermaid containers back there (along with the EVSE and other paraphernelia), I thought I'd share a photo of my passenger-seat headrest stowage. The tines of the headrest slide in very nicely between the seatback and seat cushion, wedging it into place.

Note the Android tablet and the armrest with storage.

MitsiHeadrestStow.jpg

The advantages of this are -

1. It is easily reached for immediate installation when needing to carry a passenger
2. It serves as a clamp for paperwork and letters

Just thought I'd share, that's all. :geek:

Back