How to install after market stereo in ES

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Reecho
My unit worked immediately with playstore, after connecting using wifi @home or from my phone as AccessPoint...
I could download, install & run the official canion from playstore...
I send you by mail the release I am using now.
It is is maybe better to kill some runnings apps before starting canion.
stay tuned.
Xavier

Thanks yes I got the email and have loaded up your test build. Working.

Noticed double clicking on trip meter it has difficulty resizing full screen.

Overall I am more than happy with it's performance.

Bonjour Xavier,

after changing your radio, does the button "Peugeot" or "SOS" still work ? have you test it ?

If not working, is there anything to do to make it work ?

sventchik said:
please could you test if it works ?

Hi,

My understanding is that the SOS button uses the standard stereo to allow the SOS operator to talk to the driver using a combination of the stereo's hands-free system and the CAN bus. If a non-standard stereo is put in the car it seems most unlikely that comms with SOS will still work, though I would expect that the SOS operator would still get your basic car details and location using the iOn's built in GPS/telematics system... I don't know this for sure but I emailed Peugeot some months ago and reading between the lines of their rather cryptic reply... such was my understanding. MW

Bonjour Xavier,

looks like a great unit. Was this fairly easy to install? I'd like to get the same one but I've never installed one before.
Also does the GPS work without data??

hello
the install is classic (same as any car)...
about the gps: you can install any application from the playstore...

Hi Xavier,

I have read that the stereo you have retro-fitted has a USB input. As I have ordered one too (and a fascia as well... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271281793388&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160 - US$89 but silver only) I was wondering if you have tried using a USB version of the OBD device to work with Canion?

Regards, Martin.

Bonjour Xavier,

I have now updated to kitkat 4.4.2 image that has just been released for the 2 din android unit.

Quite an improvement over 4.2.2 i must say. Very impressed indeed.

Canion 124 asks to turn on bluetooth straightaway now, and eventually crashes with java exception.

This is with BT on beforehand.

previous build you sent me is the same.

BT appears to work ok otherwise it does detect my OBDlink MX and pair..

BT phone and audio are ok..

Any advice?

Bonjour
the best release actually is 125_003 (not yet on playstore)
you should uninstall manually the previous one, but you can keep the files in folder BT_CAN.
I tested it today with an OBDLINK Wifi (works OK)

the main diff to the previous: no more "allo houston", if something goes wrong, it tries to restart....

regarding the problem with BT after migration to KK 4.4.2, you can try torque and see if it connects to the obdlink...

at this time, I have another 2DIN (working perfectly) bigger screen and higher res, see details here

I have tried both your custom build and the play store release.

I will give Torque a go and report back the results..

Have you still got the AutoPumpkin unit to do any testing on?

Torque works the same.

mentioned on XDA forums is that the bluetooth stack is missing on the 4.4.2 build?

could be a problem...

I purchased a Metra 70-7001 Radio Wiring Harness from Amazon to connect the new stereo without cutting any wires.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BG6DM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
I just had a bit of shock. After ordering this part from Amazon, it says it won't fit my i-MiEV. I came back here to confirm that I ordered the same harness, and I did.

In the Android Car PC thread (http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1990&start=12), I'm swapping the stock radio for a 10" Android Tablet, and after having a difficult time locating a line amplifier to do what I want, I decided to simply put my Pioneer head unit behind the tablet and use that as the line amp. For that, I needed this harness. Even though the head unit has a tuner, I still want to use SDR on the tablet for radio.

What a great article on the installation of an aftermarket radio. I've got an SE and I believe it has an amplifier. A couple of things, anyone know where the factory amplifier is located? When replacing the factory radio with an aftermarket, how do you handle the factory amplifier. I've got the metro wiring harness for the radio and main harness but at this point have no idea how to wire the radio with its pre amplifier inputs to the amplifier itself.

Thanks in advance.

As Plankton has prepared the path, I too have completed the install. I opted for an Android based unit which I found on aliexpress (link here). The bezel was also available on aliexpress from a different supplier (link here). Got a wiring harness from a local shop. It's a great upgrade, now I have GPS navigation, stereo, DVD, besides everything the Android OS has to offer, including web browser (not to be used while driving of course!!) and I've loaded up a few apps including plugshare. So I can see all the charging stations right there on my car's computer. Yes, now I can say my car has its own computer, much like a Tesla albeit a bit smaller :D

grathke said:
...anyone know where the factory amplifier is located? ...
On the SE with Nav package, the amplifier is located behind the plastic cover on the left rear side (behind the left rear door) - I guess that's called the C-pillar. First remove the plastic threshold guard that runs athwartships at the base of the aft hatch. At the base of that left plastic panel remove one plastic "rivet" (it unsnaps easily) and then the rest of the plastic cover either unsnaps or uncatches to provide access to that amplifier. I'm using one of the heavier 12v inputs to the amp (fused at 20A) as the source for my trailer lighting buffer.

johnr said:
As Plankton has prepared the path, I too have completed the install. I opted for an Android based unit which I found on aliexpress (link here). The bezel was also available on aliexpress from a different supplier (link here). Got a wiring harness from a local shop. It's a great upgrade, now I have GPS navigation, stereo, DVD, besides everything the Android OS has to offer, including web browser (not to be used while driving of course!!) and I've loaded up a few apps including plugshare. So I can see all the charging stations right there on my car's computer. Yes, now I can say my car has its own computer, much like a Tesla albeit a bit smaller :D

Wow, this looks like a really interesting unit. If I had an android phone, I think it would be a no-brainer. It seems that it will work to some extent with an iPhone, but I wonder what the limitations are. I'm mostly interested in bluetooth connectivity, and I'd love it if somehow Waze could run natively using the iPhone for a cellular data connection, or mirrored from the iPhone, but I think that's one of the limitations of iPhone mirroring. I'd also like to have pandora integration. I'd return my Pioneer if I knew whether it could do these things. Any idea? Do you by any chance have an iPhone?

Back