How to install after market stereo in ES

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plankton said:
I linked where I got mine on page 1 of this thread as well
It doesn't appear Ricar Parts sells that item anymore. From their main page, the i-MiEV isn't available under Mitsubishi anymore. :(

@Tonymill THANK YOU!

I was having some real trouble finding it. Yes, sadly, Ricar Parts no longer sells it.

aarond12 said:
It doesn't appear Ricar Parts sells that item anymore. From their main page, the i-MiEV isn't available under Mitsubishi anymore. :(
Ricart Parts still sells 8002A116HC.
Enter the part number under "Search by Part Number" and select the make "Mitsubishi."
It's still $87.50

iDriver said:
@Tonymill THANK YOU!

I was having some real trouble finding it. Yes, sadly, Ricar Parts no longer sells it.

Glad to help, I've been thinking of replacing the radio too so I had already found those sites. In fact you've inspired me to go ahead and buy the bezel, now I just need the radio!!

Well, I ordered the double din bezel from this site

http://www.partswebsite.com/courtesymitsubishi/

and received an email that the order was cancelled because my VIN indicated that the part was not a match for my car. I called them up and the parts person was very gruff and unhelpful. He gave me a different part number than is listed in this thread that doesn't show up in any web search. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow for the first service and I'll try to get more info from them.

tonymil said:
Well, I ordered the double din bezel from this site
http://www.partswebsite.com/courtesymitsubishi/
and received an email that the order was cancelled because my VIN indicated that the part was not a match for my car.
When I ordered from
http://www.ricartparts.com/
they sent me an email and asked if this was the part I wanted because the part did not come up for my VIN.
I replied that I definitely wanted the part and they said no problem and ordered it.

For UK/EU readers the double din facia can be had here…

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Dynamic-Sounds-Ltd?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 … search for 'imiev' £140. There is another silver one available from HK much cheaper but probably not original.

Even cheaper ones here (in both colours - silver £80, black £100)… http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/category_m-2013_c-6094.htm

IMG_2482.jpg

I have a 'quadlock' harness… does anyone have any experience in dealing with one?

I see I can buy adaptor harnesses to 'break out' the wires to mate with my rather unusual iPhone dock-based Oxygen O2 stereo unit but the stock stereo is a Pioneer DEH-1807ZC about which I can find very little on the net.

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

What are the small, double horizontal row of pins in the top half for?

IMG_2466.jpg

Where can I find the handsfree mic connector (above)? I could just put the original mic in as well, I suppose and just leave the i-Miev one disconnected.

A few photos of trim removal around the A pillar to add to the ones already posted here…

http://www.winlow.co.uk/wychwood.co.uk/i-miev_files/IMG_2508.jpg
This comes off with a gentle but firm yank starting at the top, then another about halfway up from the front edge.

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

The rear view mirror base which has the handsfree mic in it. Rather difficult to remove but by studying the clips and the mating recesses you'll probably get the idea. MW

I recently added a Pioneer AVH-X2600BT stereo to my other 2012 MiEV ES model. $232.20 on Amazon. Double din, touch screen, hands free mobile phone with microphone, DVD, and connects automatically with bluetooth to my iPhone to play all my music and radio apps.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GN5K5WO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
With trim ring. $3.88 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EOM8NY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Yp2EqDe.jpg

Installation is easy following Plankton's first post on this thread.

Here's what it looks like with the double din panel (Part # 8002A116HC, now $79.18 at ricartparts.com)

JILTUaT.jpg

And here's what it replaced.

yOgDWis.jpg

Sounds great with the rear speakers I added:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=509&p=7171#p7171

With the MiEV, the music sounds remarkably good from outside the car with the doors and windows closed.
Who needs the Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System?

Sweet! Let us know what you think of that unit overall. I might get one.

A few questions:
1. Does it have capacitive touch (multi-touch, glass screen) or resistive touch (plastic screen, fingernails and such work on it)?
2. Does turning the volume or tuning knobs change CaniOn screens, like the volume buttons on a phone do?
3. Overall performance? (Android interface vs. tablet, and radio vs. stock)

Thanks.

Hello
I received this morning the bezel...

Now it is fully operational....

It is really a good product in my opinion.

see some pictures of the install here

I don't know how you got that working, PriusFan. I'm impressed!

Were there any protections on the interface? It seems like there would be, so that the users couldn't change things around and then blame the company when things went wrong. This is one area where I would expect the system to be locked out for any additional installations of software or changes to the environment by the user, because the android part is tied into the mechanical/electrical part of the device.

When I started down the CanIon path I bought a cheap table (ValuePad) and I wanted to root the device, but I had no luck doing that because none of the known rooting methods would recognize the tablet. I tried going the ultimate hack way and download the SDK and all that but I couldn't find a way to get into the devices bootloader and I tried everyway I could think of or find on the internet. I recently gave up on that tablet as I couldn't get CanIon to work reliably with it, SDR Touch for Radio wouldn't work properly either. I ended up buying a Nexus 7 Gen 1 used off of Ebay for $80.00.

I'm still having problems with CanIon, I get the Halo, Houston... error right away. The SDR Touch works great! This is a quadcore device running KitKat 4.4.4 with 16gigs on the SD Card and 1 gig memory. That is the other reason I'm surprised this is working because I'm sure that tablet guts are not mainline, getting CanIon installed is one thing but getting it to run reliably is another issue. I'm curious how you are making this work, I'd love to know.

I recently rooted my Nexus 7 with CyanoGenMod so that I can charge and use OTG at the same time for my CarPuter project (almost done!) The android version is now 4.3.1. I'm going to try CanIon again and see if I can get it to work. Let you know if it does work with the new ROM.

EDIT: CanIon with the CyanoGenMod ROM works flawlessly.

Bonjour,
the device in the car is quite "open" and it was easy to have canion running on it...
it is, in my opinion, much better than the 2 din from pioneer, sony or parrot.
there is a huge discussion about this device on XDA

for the fun, I rooted the animal, but I could not gain access to USB DEBUGGING (it shows OK, but when I plug my laptop in the front USB nothing...
anyway, I can use ADB via WIFI.

I am working on a better stability on canion, I removed the "allo houston" and will try to adjust the application from inside the car using my asus ep121 tablet...

To work perfectly, I must wait around 30 secs after the boot before starting canion (or 30% of the times, it is not stable or closes immediately)

FYI, canion works fine in background when I am looking at Waze or using n7player and I can switch easily selecting the service from the top bar.

The phone part on this 2 din works very well with my phone sony xperia z ultra.

and I use the sony as AP

priusfan said:
To work perfectly, I must wait around 30 secs after the boot before starting canion (or 30% of the times, it is not stable or closes immediately)
Does the Android OS shut down when the car is turned off, or does it just go to sleep? If it's just going to sleep, I can't see it taking that long after starting for it to smoothly run an app.

@PV1: It shuts down completely "after some time"...
After turning off contactkey, If you restart after a short time, you get immediately the control.
If you wait "longer" (sorry I have not checked the delay), you get a cold boot.
The time for this boot is 34 secs.
It will probably depend on the content of the 2 external SD cards and if something is connected to the 2 USB plugs.
But already during the boot time the backup camera is operational when using reverse.

I have one of these units on the way.

Xavier if you have any test builds for this unit I would be happy to try them directly.

@reecho:
Send me a pm with your mailaddress and I will send you the one I am using now.

Be carefull when connecting this unit: doublecheck everything with a multimeter for the powersupply.
FYI, for mine, I got the +Batt behind the diagplug on pin 16.
Xavier

Thanks Xavier,

My unit arrived today and after work i installed it.

I couldn't load Canion from Google Play Store. Had to side load from my Nexus 7 tablet. It does work with a couple "aloo houston" msgs.

I noticed your "OBD" icon on top bar lights up full on your unit. Mine doesn't it is there but not "lit". Wonder why that is.

Initial impressions are very good. Very responsive compared to my old Pioneer AVIC unit.

I will send PM now...

Back