Cost to drive a car

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wickipedia needs updating . . . . or else NYC electricity is more than double that of the rest of the state

Hawaii has by far the most expensive electricity prices in the United States. The average cost of electricity in the first nine months of 2012 was $0.34 per kilowatt-hour, more than double the cost in the next-highest state (New York: $0.16) and more than triple the US average of $0.10 per kilowatt-hour.

I can understand the price in Hawaii

In 2008 Hawaii's primary energy consumption by source was:

85.0% petroleum, down from 99.7% in 1960
7.1% coal
0.1% natural gas
7.8% renewable energy

Isn't natural gas lots cheaper than burning petroleum?

I'll bet NYC residents are paying an exorbitant tax rate the rest of the states residents aren't paying

Don

Don said:
Yup, and looks like they'll finally start bringing in some of the LNG that's now circling the globe in tankers...
http://www.npr.org/2013/09/04/218811169/hawaii-tries-to-get-off-oil-in-favor-of-natural-gas

Apparently, it's been much harder to make geothermal happen in Hawaii than Iceland.
http://www.hawaiianelectric.com/heco/Clean-Energy/Clean-Energy-Generation/Geothermal-Request-for-Proposals

Looks like the environmental lobby is delaying both gas and geothermal to try for a big leap to more solar and wind.

Don said:
Wickipedia needs updating . . . . or else NYC electricity is more than double that of the rest of the state

Hawaii has by far the most expensive electricity prices in the United States. The average cost of electricity in the first nine months of 2012 was $0.34 per kilowatt-hour, more than double the cost in the next-highest state (New York: $0.16) and more than triple the US average of $0.10 per kilowatt-hour.

I can understand the price in Hawaii

In 2008 Hawaii's primary energy consumption by source was:

85.0% petroleum, down from 99.7% in 1960
7.1% coal
0.1% natural gas
7.8% renewable energy

I'll bet NYC residents are paying an exorbitant tax rate the rest of the states residents aren't paying

Don
I can take a closer look at My bills but it gets broken down into basic kwh charge, fuel surcharge, delivery charge, and then a few taxes. When I figure out my cost per kwh, I just add up all the components and consider that my cost.

Back