My first level 3 (dc quick charge experience)

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vancitymiev

Just recently purchased my i-miev and used the level 3 charging port for the 1st time. The B.C. government is putting 13 quick charge stations around the lower mainland and the island. This will make trips to whistler possible and connect BC to the electric highway that washington state, oregon and california have built.
Pulled up to the Surrey museum with 27kms left on my charge. Figured out the hook up and plugged in. Total time took 23 minutes and took me to an 82% charge and 97 kms remaining in range. Can't wait to take it up to whistler in the future!

vancitymiev, congratulations on your new iMiEV and thanks for the post. I'm impressed by how many charging stations there are around Victoria and on Vancouver Island as well as the greater Vancouver area - gosh, the ferries would be a natural for opportunity charging.

Much to our regret, some of us who didn't get QC didn't appreciate how rapidly QuickCharging would proliferate when we bought our cars at the beginning of last year.

Awesome. I can't wait until I get the courage to travel to the only quick charger in my area, 50 miles to the north.

I'm also jealous that you could (and did) get ocean blue.

Was the process fairly easy?

You are lucky to have a QC service in your area. I'm dreaming of the day I can use one. The closest to me is at the Mitsubishi Headquarters near Oakville, Ontario. About an hours drive away.

JoeS and PV1 - I think Canadians got the better end of the deal on the i-MiEV. All of the cars come with the cold weather package and quick charge as standard on both trim levels. It was a no brainer for me to go with the base model as it had everything I wanted. The premium model is just that here, a premium model - the upgraded interior and gps with upgraded stereo and alloy wheels. We didn't get the purple, instead we have the blue. The blue is very nice to look at, its a beautiful color.

Congrats, Vancity! I'm itching to take my i up to VYR myself. Are these Eaton level 3 chargers part of a fee-based network, or free to all users? I'm thinking that my Chargepoint account will work on some Vancouver L2 stations, but have yet to confirm.
-Jay

PV1 said:
Awesome. I can't wait until I get the courage to travel to the only quick charger in my area, 50 miles to the north.

I'm also jealous that you could (and did) get ocean blue.

Was the process fairly easy?

Thanks, I love the ocean blue and was really happy the dealer had one left in the colour. The process was super easy for now. In the future the quick chargers will be require a card to use through http://greenlots.com/ but for now its just plug and play. However, the handle was a bit difficult to remove from my port after charging.

jray3 - almost all level 2 chargers in the lower mainland are chargepoint/ smart credit card activated. A few are several different companies like addenergie etc. In the future I'll go down to Bellingham to go to Trader Joe's, visit the dc quick charge station and be able to return home!

MLucas - I agree completely. So happy that our version came standard with the quick charge, especially since lots are coming up in my area.

I remember my first time. I was the first user of the first QC in Melbourne, Australia.

I was feeling guilty the while time that I was hurting the battery. LOL.

Now all I think about it that it's free. ;)

Haven't had a chance to try out L3 charging yet. The only DC L3 EVSE near me is at a Whole Foods, and it has been "Out of Order" ever since I bought my MiEV back in July. The store has taped a sign to the machine saying they hope to have it operational soon. Not sure of their definition of "soon"!

My first time was in 2011. Now i can follow it with canion. In 2011 my i-Miev charged until 82%. Now a little less (79,5%).

wytn.png

img5204y.jpg

Fantastic! A DC quick charge fueling station. What a concept. Only thing missing is the quick mart.

Not missing, just not in the photo. And a restaurant, and a playground too. All there, in A1 highway, going from Lisbon to Oporto. In both sides of the highway. Thanks to GALP, our little portuguese ExxonMobil.

I forgot, for now the charges are free, 24 hours a day, 265 days an year. Maybe next summer we will have to pay. The last 2 and an half years i ride for free when i'm going everywhere.

Malm. you sure felt very lonely there. Do you know perhaps, how many of the triplets and Leafs are sold in Portugal?

No, on the highway, i like to drive very early to avoid traffic and drive at low speed. That's why it seems empty. But my wife and my son are there, besides and in the car. Two rainbows. Never feeling lonely, if there isn't my family, i enjoy every Watt it takes and every Watt it spends. Canion is my favorite TV show, always watching. In Portugal, something like 220 Leafs and 40 i-MiEV/C0/Ion in the end of 2012, but now VE are more then 400, i think. Leafs are so dominant here that i felt like the ugly duck all the time, and for 2 and a half years i thought that i should take care of it like it was a Leaf (mother duck teach me that way). Now i see that all my "brothers" have batteries with 18% degradation, and me, the oldest, not even 10%, i think. Very proud to be i-MiEV, so. It's becaming the most beautiful swan in the area.

UAU! We have 30 of the triplets. That's 1 I-miev per 67.000 inhabitants. In Portugal only 1 swan per 265.000 inhabitants. But only 3 Leafs are registered here. All imported from abroad. Nissan is not interested to sell Leaf in Slovenia.

I used a DC fast charger in NYC (thanks to one of the few electric taxi drivers and good fortune) and it was great! I really want to see more DC fast chargers. We almost have enough for a trip from NYC to DC.

Back