Warranty Work Done?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandange

As noted before, it seems we are the beta version testers for the modified Miev for the north American market and a specific posting pointing out any warranty claims might be a good idea to monitor any repeating issues.

Have you had to have any work done on your I Mieve on warranty? No issue is too small
Please share it with us here, (or place a link to your posting)

This way anyone having experienced a warranty claim can share the experience with their issue,
and all claims can be viewed on one posting heading with out having to search the entire forum.

Hopefully this posting will help assure new prospective buyers as to the quality of our Miev

maccluer said
Here is the final report: The dealer replaced both the charger and battery pack, for a bill of $4832.84, charged to the warranty. My early but firm impression is that the new battery pack is stronger than the original. The trip back from the dealer was 70.6 miles, and I arrived with 11 miles in storage. I hasten to add that I stopped in the quaint village of Milford and plugged in at the municipal parking lot for 55 minutes while I enjoyed a crepe and café creme at a French bakery. The dealer also performed the open recall C1204E "CMU cell monitoring unit reprogramming." (This may be directly relevant to my problem.) So thank me for blazing the trail as an early adopter. I love this car.

Ok - this is the first link and warranty claim I know off.

Please check the link for the latest update

The whole story posting link..
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=684

Edit by JoeS 12/6/12, just in case you didn't go to this link -
maccluer said:
CORRECTION: I was misinformed by the service director. They did not replace the battery pack, only the charger. The service rep who actually oversaw the work called to follow up, to see if I were pleased with their service. He then told me that only the charger was replaced. That should worry me but the range, if anything, has improved. So I guess these lithium ion pack can survive long deep discharge. I'll report the performance in a month from now.

In another thread I reported having trouble with my radio going on and off intermittently. Brought it to the dealer and within half an hour they determined that a fuse was loose. They simply pushed it in and I have been fine since.

Also in another thread, I posted about my front tires being toed-in too much upon delivery, with significant wear showing prior to 4000 miles. iMiEV specs weren't in the alignment machine yet, so they selected for an Eclipse and then manually modified the settings. I made some noise until that was ironed out. Now past 12,000 miles and the wear has evened out, but we'll see how early I get down to to minimum tread, I may have to discuss the tire warranty.

My car came with a tire out of balance. It would vibrate a bit above 50 mph. It was probably a rear tire as the steering wheel didn't shake significantly.

Unfortunately it took me three trips to the dealer to get it fixed because they couldn't feel the vibration. Even when I took the mechanic for a drive, he couldn't feel it. Finally after taking another one of their i-MiEV's for a drive with the mechanic, and confirming that this car didn't have the same problem, they agreed to balance the tires. This fixed the problem.

In just the last week, my daughter had the "electric motor unit warning light" and the "regenerative brake system indicator" come on. They came on at the together when she backed the car out of its parking spot. They stayed on when she stopped the car, but when we turned the car off and back on, the warning lights didn't come back on.

So, today I took it to the dealer. The dealer's work order states:

"Found faults P1A25, P1A16 in system and ran diag. for these faults and came up no problems found"

That's all I now about this problem. The lights haven't come on while I have been driving.

I feel relieved to see Quixotix's report because I had the same problem which was posted in this forum not long time ago. However, I got a very different treatment than he when I brought in my car. The first reaction from the Mitsubishi engineers was disbelief and asked me to provide a video as a proof should that happen again. Of course, they also tried their best to blame that on my EvseUpgrade charging cable to avoid any warranties issues should something be damaged.

jack9091 said:
Doesn't seem to bee any more claims to date ....

None that are reported here. The cars are well built and have very few quality issues with them. I've had mine since June and its basically perfect, even better than my 2008 Nissan Versa where I had several warranty issues and problems with it over the 4 years I owned it. Started with some electronic control module that would intermittently fail to start the car. Then two years into ownership a driveshaft went out and at three years the exhaust was done with and had to be replaced.

I saw this in an Australian Blog about the imiev, they have a early one with different plugs to the later 2012 ones.

http://www.hinterlandtimes.com.au/2012/08/03/i-miev-blog-keeping-the-ev-batteries-balanced/

I am not sure they really take the pack out, but maybe.

I though this should be brought up again and updated should any members have something to add ..

Keeping this up to date and showing once more how our I Miev's are performing

Thanks for the reminder. I had my brake recall performed a few days ago. They also did the Clipper Creek EVSE compatibility upgrade at the same time. Took around 1 hour.

Yesterday, in the mail, I received the official recall notice and update notice.

I had the Vacuum Pump and Clipper Creek recalls done today. When I checked car in at dealer, I had five bars remaining and 27 miles RR. When I took possession of the car after 90 minutes of work, the bars were down to four and RR decreased to 20. Car was driven maybe 100 feet by the technician. I am attributing the decrease in bars and RR to the application of the Clipper Creek software update. Any other thoughts? Bill.

Weird. I didn't notice the same problem. Although I never look at my RR (I don't drive far enough to get range anxiety!), I didn't notice any missing bars from the charge meter. Maybe he just left the car "running" while doing the brake maintenance.

BillThompsonMIEV said:
I had the Vacuum Pump and Clipper Creek recalls done today. When I checked car in at dealer, I had five bars remaining and 27 miles RR. When I took possession of the car after 90 minutes of work, the bars were down to four and RR decreased to 20. Car was driven maybe 100 feet by the technician. I am attributing the decrease in bars and RR to the application of the Clipper Creek software update. Any other thoughts? Bill.
I would hope that they're not including some other software updates at the same time - not that I would necessarily mind, but I would like an explanation of everything that is being done to my car. Does anyone have any ideas where we could find this information?

Bill, using the power figures of BlueLightning's post which is 430W with the key ON and the car not moving, for a one-hour test this would yield 0.43kWhr which converted (using EPA estimate of 30kWhr/100mi) should have only taken away 1.4miles from your RR, and not seven. Maybe they had the heater on at the same time? Here's a thought: the RR algorithm averages energy consumption over distance travelled (and maybe there's a time element in there as well) and if the car consumed 430W over a minimal but measurable distance it would start thinking that this is not good and start to compensate accordingly - hence the dramatic drop in RR. In any case, I would have expected Mitsu to recharge your car at least partially as a courtesy.

I just received my Mitsu Clipper Creek notice today and am still curious whether it fixes the Remote incompatibility issue using third-party EVSEs?

JoeS: Thanks for your thoughts. I sort of doubt the heater was turned on, as the control knobs were in the same position (off) when I retrieved the car. When the software update was applied, maybe the "ready" light was illuminated, and hence the reduction of seven miles; does not seem likely. Repair ticket clearly indicated the software update was for the Clipper Creek issue. Anyhow, when I returned home after the recall visit, my RR was 13 and I was down to two bars (this was expected based on distance travelled). Applying a full charge to 16 bars using the OEM Level 1 charger presently, with watt meter attached. All things being equal, I expect the RR to read over 90 miles when full charge completed in the morning. The over 90 RR is based on my most recent experiences.

When I had the first software update done, the did it with the key in the accessory position and they put a battery charger in the 12 volt battery . . . . I assume as extra insurance that it wouldn't run out of juice in the middle of the upgrade. Everything was done step by step according to the factory instructions, so the battery charger was called for in the instructions. No miles or RR lost while doing the upgrade, which took about an hour

I kinda hope they have a major software upgrade coupled in with the Clipper Creek mod, but like Joe, I'd sure like to know what's being done - One thing is for certain . . . . nobody at my dealership will have a clue

Don

Brief followup on my Mar 5 post. After a full charge to 16 bars (14.96KWH) from 2 bars, the RR was 91. RR after a 17.6 mile trip was 79. Giving up 12 miles of RR to travel 17.6 miles is a deal I can live with. This is a trip I take twice a week. Normally the RR "loss" is the same as miles travelled. Will keep an eye on things, but so far so good. Bill.

Since we have had several new members join us , I thought this posting would be good to bring back up and would encourage any one with warranty work to contribute their experience

sandange said:
Since we have had several new members join us , I thought this posting would be good to bring back up and would encourage any one with warranty work to contribute their experience

Looks to me like it's been a year since members were asked to report any repair work. Do just putting this on as "new" to remind us all.

Hey, aren't there one or two other EV forums that might have MiEV owners there who aren't here?
If so maybe one of use could go there and post the same request and/or invite the MiEV lost sheep to drop in here?

Back