plastic roof-edge strips

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WReed82

Hi Folks,

I was washing the roof of Maeve and scrubbing along the edge(very dirty) and about half of one of the plastic roof-edge strips popped out.
There are little plastic 'keepers' that clip on to raised metal bits in the channels, and it looks like the strips clip on to the keepers.
But I can't get it all to stay together.
Please see included pictures, one a wide shot, up near the windshield, the other a close-in.

Maeve-wide-res.jpg

Maeve-A-res.jpg

Any suggestions?

Thanks and good health, Weogo

It looks like the plastic clip is meant to be part of the plastic trim piece, and then the trim (with the clips) is pushed into place over the metal tabs in the roof channel.

It might be easier to take the clip off the metal, and then attach it to the rail. Then, as an assembly, push it onto the metal tab?

Hi Y'all,

admin said:
It looks like the plastic clip is meant to be part of the plastic trim piece, and then the trim (with the clips) is pushed into place over the metal tabs in the roof channel.

It might be easier to take the clip off the metal, and then attach it to the rail. Then, as an assembly, push it onto the metal tab?

You are correct. When I slowed down and took another look(after trying a rubber mallet!) it did go together as you say.
It does not hold super tight, but I drove it on the interstate and it all stayed together, so I think it's fine.
On our Honda Fit the roof is formed so the plastic strip just slides in and is held by friction, no clips needed.
Now I'm curious which system will last longer.

Side note: Alcohol. Plain rubbing alcohol is a very good solvent for tree sap.
We have a couple warm days coming and Maeve is getting a much needed wax job.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Back