shudder from rear at hwy speeds

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenthousandclowns

Hello.
My 2012 with 42k mi just started getting a bit of a shudder, most noticeable under regen but a bit under acceleration and a tiny bit when coasting in N. Then today I was on the freeway and at 60mph or above there was the shudder but with a tk tk tk tk sound. More from driver's side than the other side.

Axle joint coming loose from trans?
Motor position sensor causing uneven torque?
Wheels and tires seem ok. Loose wheel or tire defect was my first guess.

thanks
Luke

I would stop driving it immediately and jack it up and have a look or have it checked out right away. Definitely not normal, and for me I'd first be looking at the drivetrain rather than suspect the motor. Good luck, and please do follow up and let us know your progress, but do check it out right away! (I have a horror story about a tiny unusual noise in my Austin Healey 3000 that I checked out, and the cause of which would have probably killed me...)

It was the tire falling apart! When I did a quick look at it it must have been on the bottom side.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3332098826917214&set=p.3332098826917214&type=3&theater

Can't tell what brand of tire that you have, but I had the identical problem occur with three of my over-pressurized Yokohama AVID ENVigors. Never an issue with the OEM Dunlap Enasaves. Oh, and IIRC they failed in hot weather.

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2725#p24356

Need to go through my files, as I have a photo similar to yours somewhere...

Delighted you found it! That was easy! :p

Yes it was a Yokohama Avid Envigor... in the summer after I had just filled it up to 50psi. I just bought another to replace it, If i had seen your post earlier I may have splurged for the Enasave at twice the price.

It can happen with any brand, especially if you run them inflated too high - Hit a chuckhole and if the tire is inflated so hard it can't flex, it will break a belt

I've never run any of my tires above about 45 psi and I had a Dunlop Ensave blow apart on the front left. It was on my wife's car and she swears she's never hit anything hard, but who knows

The minimal range gain from over inflated tires isn't worth the liability of having to replace one when they're not half worn, not to mention that over inflating decreases the contact patch which is terrible for handling and braking, especially in the wet

Don

Back