Recent recall for brake vacuum pump. Issue of distant dealership.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acensor

Those of you in the USA probably got this notice. I got it two days ago in standard postal mail.
Short version: They believe the original brake vacuum pump can fail from corrosion, leaving the driver with a sudden surprise of having no power brakes. (And that is a shocker.. surprising how hard you have to push without the power assist.)

The problem I face is my nearest Mitsubishi service is 192 miles away. Even if I had the fast-charge port, which I don't, it would be an onerous round trip.

So my first question is "How many of you who got this notice face a similar situation of nearest dealer to far away to reach on one charge?
And if so... what's your take on how to handle it?
Last time with the airbag recall after a lot of negotiating with Mitsubishi support I got them to put the 5 local MiEV's on a truck and haul them up and back for the recall. This time I'm going to try to get them to just send me, or a local mechanic, the part. If they're smart, they'll take that route. Here below is the communication I just sent Mitsubishi Customer support via their website:
----------------------------
I just received a safety related recall notice. But the nearest Mitsubishi dealer is Gladstone Mitsubishi and is 192 miles away. The car has only a 60 mile range on a full battery charge. So it would take at least two stops (probably 3 or 4) for charging, and takes at least 5 hours to fully recharge. In short, it is impossible for me to drive it up for the recall repair. Would take me several days driving in each direction. WHAT I WOULD LIKE: The repair involved is a relatively simple one that any half competent local mechanic can do. Even I could do it. I want you to send me the replacement brake vacuum pump, Or send it to a local non-Mitsubishi service department we agree on (such as Southern Oregon Subaru, which used to be your dealer) and authorize that you will pay for the service time. I would like to resolve this without having to contact the Vehicle Safety Hotline with a complaint about being "unable to get this repair made promptly at not cost." I note that the recall notice does mention that if an owner has already paid for this replacement on their own that Mitsubishi will reimburse the owner... So I see my request as consistent with your policy.
I also note this will be much less costly for your company than paying to have my vehicle transported by truck to Gladstone Mitsubishi for the recall.

Thank you for your time, help, and consideration.

acensor said:
This time I'm going to try to get them to just send me, or a local mechanic, the part. If they're smart, they'll take that route.

They are smart, so they know they can't do that. It's a safety recall, so the parts have to be installed by a trained Mitsubishi technician, likely for legal reasons - If there was a failure after the recall is performed, it would open up a can of very costly legal worms

But, just to be sure, I posed exactly the same question to them yesterday over the phone (my cars have to be trucked 110 miles and back) and they told me they just can't do it

Don

No notice for me yet. Fortunately a Mitsubishi dealer opened in my town a few years ago... they did my last recall... had the green "i" and everything, although I assume that program is no longer in effect. (?)

Hi Y'all,

Nearest dealer was 14 miles, then 78 miles, now is 38, and they just got electric training for a mechanic.
I had the recall done yesterday, took less than 45 minutes.
Put Maeve on their charger for an hour and had enough juice to get home.

Am glad I didn't have to hassle with getting to the dealer 78 miles away!

Thanks and good health, Weogo

My brake light recently came on while driving so I decided to call my local dealer.

I hadn't gotten a recall notice yet in Canada either.

It seems the part is on recall and they don't even know when the part will be available!

So the car is just sitting in the garage as it's too dangerous to drive.

Awful service.

acensor said:
The problem I face is my nearest Mitsubishi service is 192 miles away. Even if I had the fast-charge port, which I don't, it would be an onerous round trip.

So my first question is "How many of you who got this notice face a similar situation of nearest dealer to far away to reach on one charge?
And if so... what's your take on how to handle it?

It may take several calls and emails, but eventually . . . . Mitsubishi will handle it

The dealer we bought new from folded up their tent and left town years ago. For the last 2 recalls, the closest dealer who services EV's was in Pensacola Florida, 110 miles away. The first time, I had to go around and around for a month or so with MMNA to get the recall done, because obviously, me driving two cars there to get the recalls performed was out of the question. Eventually, they hired a truck and trailer to tow them over, they quickly performed the recalls while the truck driver waited and he brought our cars back the same day

Next time, I didn't have to argue at all - They came and got the cars, towed them there and we got them back 3 days later

This time, they now have a new dealer much closer, in Mobile Alabama, 55 miles away. I was expecting to have to drive them there, probably with a quick stop for an hour of charging midway, but yesterday I got a call from the dealer and he has authorization from Mitsu to come and get the cars, tow them over, do the recalls and return them the next day, so we'll be without them for a couple days again, but I won't have to waste several days of my time getting them over there, one at a time, so the recalls can be done

MMNA is used to towing cars to distant dealerships for recalls - I'm sure I'm not the only one

Stick to your guns when dealing with them!! - It's a safety recall and if they don't get it done and you have a wreck, it's gonna cost them more than lots of money - It's gonna look bad too! They will (eventually) agree to get your car fixed . . . . at no cost to you. I don't know if I'd mention you'll need a rental car (I never did) but if you don't have another car, I *suspect* they would agree to rent you a car too

Don

Back