“BRAKE” light in dash

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waclay

Hey everyone. I recently purchased a 2014 i-MIEV that now has about 27000 miles. I haven’t had any problems with it but lately I’ve been getting the red “BRAKE” light in my dash. The light seems to come on at random, usually when I’m accelerating after a stop, and goes off after about 10 or 20 seconds. The car seems to operate as normal and I saw in the manual that this light will sometimes come on after pumping your brakes? Not sure if this is a normal function of the car or something I should be worried about. Let me know what you think!

Welcome to the forum! - Glad you found us

It's for sure NOT normal. I would check the level of the brake fluid and if that's where it should be, I would check to see if maybe something is preventing the handbrake lever from going all the way down. Either one could give you the intermittent issue you're seeing

Don

Waclay, do you get a tone with the light? If so, that would point to either low brake fluid, a leak in the vacuum assist system, or the vacuum pump not working correctly.

If you just get the light and no tone, check to make sure the handbrake is fully released.

... and if you needed to add brake fluid -

- Check each of the wheel brake cylinders as well as the master cylinder for leaks
- Check for inordinate wear on one or more of the brakes

Because most of us maximize the use of regenerative braking, the i-MiEV brakes usually have negligible wear and thus the brake fluid barely drops.

Back