Illinois Insanity

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcbrine

State Senator Martin Sandoval proposes a $1000 annual tax on EV ownership:

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/illinois-proposes-1000-annual-fee-on-evs/

Please let him and other legislators know how you feel about this, especially if you're actually in Illinois.

Hi, WMC,

I think it's a great idea.

Of course it needs to be accompanied by the $10,000 tax for internal combustion ownership.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

From the OPs article: "The highest fees are in Georgia and West Virginia, each of which charges EV drivers $200 per year." They need to add Idaho @ $200/yr.

Because of adding EVs in the mix, I'd suggest getting rid of all state gas tax. But it has to be done in all states so that border cities won't suffer. Then you could charge each car $200 as a starter. And then increase the cost based on the weight of the vehicle.

-Barry

BarryP said:
Then you could charge each car $200 as a starter.
Or -- here's a thought -- abolish the idea that road maintenance has to be funded by regressive user fees, and pay for it out of mostly-progressive income and property taxes, like the rest of the state budget.

But that's beside the point, which is that this proposal is spectacularly out of line with any possible gas tax revenue replacement (and there's no other justification for penalizing EVs), unless you drive about 58,000 miles a year. (That's the increase in the fee, divided by the new gas tax rate, times the average MPG of an ICE car.)

What's sad to me is the 'diversion' caused by the $1000 number - instead of debating the whole concept of such a tax, it has everyone focused on the $ amount and thus the concept has been accepted by default. I wouldn't be surprised if it'll get negotiated to some lower number, but the tax will remain. :evil:

JoeS said:
What's sad to me is the 'diversion' caused by the $1000 number - instead of debating the whole concept of such a tax, it has everyone focused on the $ amount and thus the concept has been accepted by default. I wouldn't be surprised if it'll get negotiated to some lower number, but the tax will remain. :evil:

The concept of a special fixed EV registration hike is flawed and unnecessary.

The narrative that all of a sudden EVs have caused a road funding crisis is a red herring as a few thousand cars have had zero affect on the crisis that started long before a single EV hit the road

Most folks already pay $450 a year of “municipal substation taxes” which are charged on each and every kwhr into the general fund anyway.

Back