My Battery health long term?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjm1219

I've had my imiev for a few weeks now. Admittedly I didn't do much research when I bought the car. It was cheap, fun, super easy to park and I hate going to the gas station. I also still have some trouble wrapping my head around all the electrical jargon and concepts.

Curious what you long time owners think of the health of my battery and how many years it will work for my needs.

Reading here a lot I'm sure I have some decent battery degradation. I haven't had time to really test it as far as range. Moderate speed, no heater, etc. PO owner said 60 easy.

So far using it as a normal car. I commute 3-4 miles each way, come home for lunch, grocery store, etc. Been averaging 20-30 miles a day. Set the timer to charge it to 14 or 15 bars for the next day. It's been in the 30-40 degrees most the time. Use the heater as needed and not easy on the throttle. Car in perfect for this so far. I have taken it to 1 flashing bar twice. I was at 42 and 44 miles at that point. Assuming I will get more in warmer weather or if I don't use the heater and drive conservatively.

This seems normal for a car has 55k miles on it i think.

I'm curious as to how long it will last like this. When should I expect to not be able to meet my needs? I know I can change my habits and extend it further but if I use it with no sacrifice what do I have 2 years? 5 years? I haven't read about any driving around with serious battery degradation. 50% or less. Will the car stop working before that or just get shorter and shorter ranger?

Quick math tells me if I can drive it for most my daily tasks it will be paid for in gas saving in about 3-5 years. That would put the car at close to 100k miles. Is this feasible? Maybe cheaper options for replacement battery packs at that point in the future.

That mileage sounds a little low to me, but certainly not bad if that's the original battery. I'll be able to make a better comparison once warmer weather hits. The last couple times I drove my i-MiEV (Chevy Bolt is my daily driver), the range has seemed low, but that might be due to the car sitting for longer periods of time now.

Back