Will not preheat when fully charged.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjm1219

New owner still figuring out the many quirks and features :lol: .

My preheat and whatnot seems to work as intended while the car is charging(120v standard charger) but not once fully charged (still plugged in). I unplugged and fiddled around a bit with it. Plugged it back in. Charge light goes on. I test preheat. It works. Car becomes fully charged a minute later and turns off preheating. Is this operating correctly? Am I missing something. I envisioned plugging the car in the evening before, it becomes fully charged over night, then using preheating to get it ready for the commute in on the houses energy instead of the cars battery.

Other thing I can't figure out is how to get the clock to display 12 hr, with AM/PM. If not possible I'll just have to join the rest of the world and learn 24 hr clock.

cjm1219 said:
My preheat and whatnot seems to work as intended while the car is charging(120v standard charger) but not once fully charged (still plugged in). ..
cjm1219, welcome to the forum and hope the car is meeting your expectations.

Interesting observation about the car locking out the Remote when fully topped up. Inasmuch as I almost never fully charge, I haven't experienced this and perhaps someone else might comment?

In my case, I try to time my cold-weather (uh, cool weather by most standards as our temps so far this winter rarely get down below 40°F) charging by reducing my EVSEUpgrade.com modified Mitsu EVSE to only draw 6A on 120vac and using the Remote I time the power turn-on to give me about 13 bars at about the time I'm ready to leave in the morning, thus she's still charging when I subsequently use the Remote to pre-heat. That's my 'winter' regimen in the belief that it keeps the battery less-cold and also running it on 120vac reduces the stress on the OBC.

Incidentally, we use the term "charger" to denote what is better-termed the On Board Charger (OBC) built into the car whereas the inline-cord thingy that comes with the car is more-awkwardly and generically called an EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment). Not to worry, everyone knows what you're talking about when you say charger. ;)

I *thought* is did preheat when the battery was full - It's been years since I used it though, so my memory may be wrong. If you're preheating with the OEM Panasonic 8 amp EVSE, it doesn't hardly get warm if you do it while the car IS charging, I do know that - The car uses most of those 8 amps and there's not much left over for heating. If it's something you're going to be using fairly often, a 240 volt L2 EVSE would be a good investment. It warms up pretty quickly on 240 volts

Don

Thanks for the info so far. I have been reading a lot on here and trying to get up to speed. This is my first EV. I'm enjoying the hell out of the car. I'll use this as intro space as I didn't see a place for that on this forum.

I always been interested in EVs but they have been out of my reach financially as I have sworn off car payments and I don't have a ton of extra cash laying around. Over the last few years I have been buying old BMWs and fixing them and enjoying them and selling them on. I've had three 318ti in the past few years. Yeah, I like weird cars but you people do to apparently. I figured I'd go electric this time instead of another old bme Anyhow, I was introduced to and almost bought a i-miev from a co-worker months ago but didn't happen and have been looking for once since. I almost settled on a Leaf(boring and too big) but then my i-miev popped up for sale and I talked them down to $4k. Which seemed like an ok deal for this part of the world (Pacific Northwest). The plan is for my girlfriend to commute in it (8-10 miles round trip) and then use it for all our running and the city in the evening and weekends. I have been using it the last couple days just to fully check it out before I hand it to her to use. I love driving it around town. It's so zippy and handles city traffic great. Parking is hilariously easy.

Anyways back to the preheating. It seems like it should work even if the car is fully charged. The idea is it would be using the house energy instead of battery energy to preserve range. I imagine in the future we'll get in to a schedule where we won't be charging it to full capacity every night as it seems like that's better for battery health, so this may not be an issue. Although the preheating thing is one of the most exciting feature for EVs so would like to use that every morning if possible.

Other quirk I noticed today. When I lock the doors with the key remote the blinks flash but on occasion it will also honk but not every time. Not sure what the difference is.

cj, first off, I think you'll find that there is very rarely a need to fully charge the car. With an 8-10-mile round-trip commute and then some running around town you can easily stop charging at around 12 bars and be comfortable on a daily basis. You simply use the Remote to tell the car when to stop charging. My rule of thumb using the 2012 Mitsu unmodified EVSE (i.e., 8A at 120vac) is four bars for five hours of charging. BTW, here's the link about using our Remote:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2780

There are many threads on the topic of care and feeding of the battery pack: in a nutshell, the worst thing you can do for the battery is to fully charge it and then leave it sitting in the hot sun. Unlike a lead-acid battery, our Lithiums as happiest sitting at around half-charge. I normally charge the car only up to 12 bars.

With the car at around 12 bars and still plugged in, irrespective of whether it's still charging or not, you should have no problem using the Remote to activate either the Heat or Defrost. That will immediately take care of the problem you're experiencing.

IIRC, clicking the key fob twice will result in a honk, but IIRC that may also be one of the programmable features. Ooooh, just remembered:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3108

Meanwhile, the next time I've fully charged my car and it has stopped charging I will see how it responds to the Remote.

i tried using the OEM Level 1 EVSE 120 VAC at 8 Amps for overnight charging during some recent cold weather, and used the remote for defrost in the mornings. The car charged up fine, but the defrost was a joke--it didn't do squat to melt the frost or ice from the windshield.

By comparison i have never had an issue with using remote defrost to clear windows and preheat the car on cold mornings when connected to my Blink Level 2 EVSE 240 VAC at 13 Amps.

Sometimes it does take a few attempts with the remote to get the functions activated, e.g. turn on time, cut off timer, turn on AC or heat or defrost, etc.

The state of charge of the battery didn't seem to matter as much as the 120 vs 240 VAC situation.

Thanks for the links JoeS. That explains the honk some times and not others as I have been using the auto lights most the time but had them off the first day I was driving it.

Once we get to actual using the car for commuting next week I'll figure out a schedule that works well for keeping the battery at a happy level.

Reading more and thinking about it, it makes sense that the pre conditioning wouldn't work when it's fully charged. I don't think EVSE is sending any power at that point so it would have to flip back on somehow to run the preconditioning.

The car came with a 15kw level 2 EVSE but unfortunately my current house setup would make it difficult/expensive to install. Panel in the basement on the opposite side as the garage. The garage is detached and only has 1 20amp 120v circuit going to it. I only know enough about this stuff to be dangerous. We have to move in about 6 months so hopefully the new house has a better setup to use the level 2 EVSE.

OK, last night I fully fully charged Mitti at 8A 120 vac until it stopped charging this morning. Without unplugging the car I then used the Remote to turn on the heat. No problem, it started heating normally, albeit slowly, but it worked just as it should!

cjm1219 said:
Reading more and thinking about it, it makes sense that the pre conditioning wouldn't work when it's fully charged. I don't think EVSE is sending any power at that point so it would have to flip back on somehow to run the preconditioning.
The EVSE is controlled by the car. In my case, it woke up and showed the orange 'charging' light as the heater was operating.

The remote is at best - to be kind - sorta flakey. It amazes me that a company built a car as well sorted out as this one and the same company was somehow responsible for the remote they sent with it - Maybe they turned that project over to a junior engineer who wasn't allowed to touch anything when the car was developed

Many times, you gotta try things 3X or 5X before you get the desired result . . . . if you ever do at all. I suspect this is why so few owners use it, and if you don't use it regularly, you won't remember the exact steps you used last time to get it to work. Many years ago, I used one of ours to pre-cool the car as my wife was getting ready to deliver a wedding cake in the 90 degree August heat and since then, they've both been stored in the junk drawer. I'm sure they'd probably need new batteries before they would do anything

So, play with it some, read the book some, play with it some more before you give up on it . . . . and if you eventually do, know that many of us have gone before you! :lol:

Don

Thanks for testing that out for me. Guess mine isn't operating quite as intended. I used preconditioning this morning without any issue as the car only about half changed. I will have to test it again at full charge.

JoeS said:
OK, last night I fully fully charged Mitti at 8A 120 vac until it stopped charging this morning. Without unplugging the car I then used the Remote to turn on the heat. No problem, it started heating normally, albeit slowly, but it worked just as it should!

cjm1219 said:
The EVSE is controlled by the car. In my case, it woke up and showed the orange 'charging' light as the heater was operating.

One thing to watch for with the remote is the pre-conditioning will NOT activate if a door is open. Make sure all the doors and rear hatch are fully closed (confirm by pressing LOCK on the remote, good to go if the lights flash).

On 120 volts, the proper procedure is to hold the power button on the remote to wake it up (top button on right side). Press Mode (middle right button) twice to get to pre-conditioning, use the front left/right buttons to select desired mode, and then press/release power button again to send command. The remote should ascending chime 3-4 tones, flashing the antenna icon on the screen for a second or two, and then play 3-4 descending chimes to confirm pre-con is active. The car should then activate the EVSE and start conditioning the car (easiest to try with either the COOL or Defrost options as it will light up the buttons on the center stack).

Just to confirm, does your charging cord say "Mitsubishi Innovative Electric Vehicle" on the face of the brick? Simply turning the remote on will cause the Charge light to come on for about 15 seconds even if no settings are changed when the car is fully charged but still plugged in.

bradleydavidgood777 said:
My car beeps when it is light out and does not beep when it is dark...when locking.
Your answerback is set to 3, then. That mode is based on the Auto setting, which uses the ambient light sensor.

The car will absolutely preheat from the remote when fully charged. I do this EVery morning in winter. L1 doesn't provide enough power for adequate preheat. I've done it successfully on an SPX (Bosch) Power XPress, Clipper Creek, and Duosida EVSE.

Even on our recent 15 degree mornings, the remote defrost was mighty toasty- so much so that it turned a 'rock star' in my windshield into a spiderweb of cracks, thanks to that tremendous temperature differential!

Haven't had a lot of time to expirment but fully charged the car yesterday and it pre heats(well as much as it does on L1) as it's supposed to. I cannot replicate my previous issue. Probably user error somehow. :roll: , it's been a fun conversations with you all anyways.

Car has been great. I've been having too much fun running around town with it.

Very impressive in the snow and icy.

Weak heater maybe an issue. As I'm still driving around worring about range. First time EV owner. The parking heater mod seems like it would be a fun and some what easy project.

PV1 said:
bradleydavidgood777 said:
My car beeps when it is light out and does not beep when it is dark...when locking.
Your answerback is set to 3, then. That mode is based on the Auto setting, which uses the ambient light sensor.

PV1 - thanks, didn't remember seeing that as a programmable feature even tho I read thru the manual once waiting at the dealership.

My manual (2017) has it on page 5-6.

And although the programming works as stated in the manual, it seems like the behaviors are not in line with what is listed in the manual. I wanted to choose the behavior that the horn only sounds when lock is pressed twice quickly - listed as #4. It actually works that way on #3. I think the other numbers are off too on my car but all 4 options are there, just in a different order.

Anyway, I really like that there is no beep now - I didn't like having that all of the time and now I can get it only if I need it. So thanks!

I did see your older thread on this subject but for some reason it did not have the ability to reply to it.

cjm1219 said:
New owner still figuring out the many quirks and features :lol: .

My preheat and whatnot seems to work as intended while the car is charging(120v standard charger) but not once fully charged (still plugged in). I unplugged and fiddled around a bit with it. Plugged it back in. Charge light goes on. I test preheat. It works. Car becomes fully charged a minute later and turns off preheating. Is this operating correctly? Am I missing something. I envisioned plugging the car in the evening before, it becomes fully charged over night, then using preheating to get it ready for the commute in on the houses energy instead of the cars battery.

With the 2014 cars I do this all the time. A delayed charge so that charging finishes an hour or two before leaving. A half hour before my wife leaves I preheat her car (from bed ;) ) right before I get up. Hundreds of times and it has always worked just fine. Even if the car is still plugged in for hours after finishing the charge, turning on the heat with the remote always works just fine.

Perhaps there is a difference in programing? I can't think of anything that might cause what you are experiencing in the area of a fault with the car.

Aerowhatt

Adding to this thread. I just purchased a remote for my 2012 (thank you JoeS for the assistance and the great video for re-programming) and it communicates perfectly. I use a Level 1 EVSE and the car will pre-condition while charging or when fully charged. Unfortunately, the car generates very little heat while plugged, using OBDzero it looks like the heater generates 1200 watts while plugged in and this will be useless in our cold Canadian winters.

I will probably buy a diesel heater to keep the garage warmer as I am not ready to add a diesel heater to an EV (might be forced to later)

Is there a way to set the remote to manual charge and then cancel the charging before 100%? I have not found a way to do so other than turning on the EV.

Thanks!

Boffingham

Boffingham, it may seem boffo, but preheat the car on the defrost setting and you'll like the results much better. I can remove 2" of snow from the windscreen and get a toasty cabin too within 30 minutes.

Boffingham said:
Adding to this thread. I just purchased a remote for my 2012 (thank you JoeS for the assistance and the great video for re-programming) and it communicates perfectly. I use a Level 1 EVSE and the car will pre-condition while charging or when fully charged. Unfortunately, the car generates very little heat while plugged, using OBDzero it looks like the heater generates 1200 watts while plugged in and this will be useless in our cold Canadian winters.
Glad you received it and reprogrammed thanks to PV1's & kiev's posts and DonDakin's video. I second what jray3 said about using DEFROST rather than HEAT for warming the cabin, and don't forget to leave the seat heater switch ON as the Remote also activates this circuit.
Boffingham said:
I will probably buy a diesel heater to keep the garage warmer as I am not ready to add a diesel heater to an EV (might be forced to later)
Diesel/fuel-oil heaters are an anathema to an EV owner (nevertheless recognizing how successful the on-board installations have been). How about a heat-pump mini-split for the garage, with the heat pump located in some warmer environment? Perhaps with your short commute, seriously pre-heating the car and then running the heater while you drive should suffice?
Boffingham said:
Is there a way to set the remote to manual charge and then cancel the charging before 100%? I have not found a way to do so other than turning on the EV.
Since the Remote can be set to control the ON-->OFF time interval (in 1/2-hour increments), you can start by trying the following approximation:
Using 120vac, you get four bars for five hours of charging
Using 240vac, you get three bars for one hour of charging
As the car ages and battery capacity is reduced, the charging time/bar is reduced.
We use the Remote on a daily basis every night, usually successfully stopping the charging at around 13 bars.

Back