Couldn't shift past R - very strange

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikalex

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I couldn't shift past R after trying to get the i-MiEV going during a normal starting procedure.
My 2014 ES has about 55,000 kms on it. I bought it new, my first new car in my short 56 years on Earth. I have never had an issue with the car before.
I eventually was able to get it into B mode after a half hour of trying. So I just left it there and got home (about 35 kms later)

It's never happened before.
I tried restarting it a bunch of times at the time, but each time I could only shift from P to R but no further.
(Foot on the brake, steering not locked, 12v house battery had lots of juice, traction battery at 12 or 13 bars, everything else functions as it should)
I just couldn't shift down past R.

I briefly considered driving all the way home in reverse...(-;

Could this be a shift cable / linkage issue?
House battery issue?

Any advice is appreciated.
This morning the I-MiEV is back to "normal".

Thanks,
Roman

i would guess a cable or linkage sticking, maybe needs some lube or adjustment.

Put the key to ON so the steering wheel unlocks and you should be able to shift thru the gears without being in READY, just to test and crawl under to inspect.

The cable running from the gear shift lever goes to the left side of the transmission housing at the rear of the car.

It is likely that lubricating the lever on the left side of the transmission housing where the shift cable attaches will solve your problem.

The link below shows the left side of the transmission housing. The photo is for an older car.

Cars from 2012 onward have only one lever on the left side of the transmission housing.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/10q1/335484/mitsubishi-i-miev-transmission-photo-335602-s-original.jpg

Back