2012 miev ZERO battery degradation

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOevn

6 years later .. 34,000 miles never quick charged and still get 100% battery charge and avg over 70 miles.
I see that the leaf cars getting only 80% of the original battery life after only 2 years.
Why spend an extra 10gs on a car that will lose battery life in such a short period of time.
Gotta love the I-miev ... GOevn

16 bars displayed is "100%"

Using the mut-clone i found that there is a capacity display value (meter) and a capacity control value (internally stored). This is what Malm discovered thru trial and error in all his experiences--the displayed and control values are not the same.

It's been the same since day 1 ... back n fourth to work same route sometimes rain .. I live in florida
the usual grocery shopping .. lowes .. etc .. charged on 110 when needed .. usually when 12 to 20 miles are left on meter.
66+ miles showing after charged .. I would check the odometer after driving reading pretty much dead on to the meter distance
I've never used 220v charge .. no need to .. charged while i slept .. Granted I've never did a meter test nor would I know how.
But I'm sure if there was any loss my range would be less than 60 miles by now on a full charge .. its not even close

kiev said:
16 bars displayed is "100%"
Agreed

Every iMiEV driving around is charging to 100% (even if that 100% only has 3/4ths of the energy it had when new) so it's nothing worth crowing about - When you don't get 100%, you have a battery malfunction

I was just curious how our newbie was measuring his '100%' ;)

I believe our cars hide their battery loss from us. When mine was new, it would go another 6 or 8 miles at 50 mph *after* the RR showed '--'

I wouldn't attempt that now. I'm about 99% sure it would not do it if I tried, So 'still charges to 100%' doesn't really mean a thing . . . . at least not so far as an indication of how much battery capacity may have been lost is concerned

It would be interesting to see what Canion has to say about his car - There has been loss, guaranteed, and Canion would show it

Don

OBDlink cani0n result right after I charged overnight from my 2012 miev
never used 220v to charge .. always charged at night from my home reg 110v plug

how's it look ...

miev.jpg

Goevn

The battery looks great - Very well balanced, however that page doesn't show you *anything* about it's capacity. As mentioned earlier, all fully functional batteries (no matter how much capacity they may have lost) will charge to '100%'

Don

GOevn, in the above screenshot, the car was still charging [Edit: wrong! - the car had been discharging when the screen froze. See subsequent posts.] and the cells were being balanced. Agree with Don's comments. Do you have the latest version of CaniOn, as CaniOn now reads the battery capacity? BTW, I removed your other identical post to avoid duplication.

Phone reads caniOn141 ... what is the latest and where could I get it

The car was totally unplugged when I used caniOn .. maybe it still charges after being unplugged .. I have no idea

GOevn

Looks like a frozen screen picture of stale data. The phone will retain the last screen before the BT connection was lost, and show this the next time the phone is turned ON.

you can see in the lower right corner that it is not connected, 0 frames per seconds.

The only degradation is the lower voltage at the top, it is showing 100% with the cells at 4.09 Volts. Cars with less miles will show cells charged up to 4.10 V.

GOevn, the car was actually discharging (not charging) when the screen froze (my bad).

CaniOn v141 is the latest. One of the places the Ah battery capacity shows up is on the "my Trip Timer" screen, which you can manually configure to display any parameters you wish.

Appreciate all the help .. I'll try to post that screen
Would love to see pics of scans and compare those that are charging with 220v
with a miev that has never been charged using 220v

I think 110v charging is the way to go for mievs .. if possible

The new bigger n better bats coming out can take the load and heat of faster L2 n L3 charging much better

GOevn said:
I think 110v charging is the way to go for mievs .. if possible

The new bigger n better bats coming out can take the load and heat of faster L2 n L3 charging much better

I'm not sure I agree with that. I think I read around here that battery temperature increase charging at 6 amps is not terribly different from charging at 14amp. That's around the same diference as charging with 110V and 220V.
While the current is lower, the car take more than twice the time charging. Some people even defend L3 charging could be beneficial, as it generates heat, but it lasts for fewer minutes and battery cooling comes on during it. It might generate a surge in temperature for 25 minutes, but after that it starts cooling down.

GOevn, looking forward to seeing your Ah reading at your 34,000 miles having only charged on 120vac. My almost three-year-old pack (replaced by Mitsu with a defective cell under warranty on my used i-MiEV due to suspected previous owner's charging habits) shows 39.4Ah with roughly the same mileage as yours. From a practical standpoint, I can't tell the difference in range between now and when it was brand new.

In the early days of the i-MiEV and large-format or large-capacity Lithium battery deployment, there was a lot of discussion regarding charging rates, especially as they affect battery longevity. Some of us adopted your technique (I was one of those), but it has generally been proven to be unnecessary.

To summarize the conclusions: 120vac (1kW) and 240vac (3kW) charging rate differences are insignificant for the 16kWh i-MiEV pack, especially considering that Mitsubishi had designed the pack to be hit with the 50kW CHAdeMO direct dc charge (and, let's face it, while driving the charge/discharge rates are huge). The difference in battery heating between 120vac and 240vac is considered negligible. CHAdeMO could indeed be bad news (and battery temperatures can indeed be seen to rise rapidly while CHAdeMO charging) and thus the CHAdeMO-equipped i-MiEVs are supplied with forced-air battery cooling and on this forum there are a number of threads for aircon air routing modifications to keep our batteries happy.

More importantly from a battery longevity standpoint, I believe there is consensus that the battery should never be charged to 100% and left there fully charged for a significant amount of time, especially in a high ambient temperature environment. Many of us go a step further and normally keep the SoC somewhere between 30% and 70% (for example, I rarely charge above 12 bars and almost never drop below two bars, and have yet to see turtle).

Charging at 120vac is less efficient than charging at 240vac due to overhead losses over the extended period of time that charging takes place; i.e., it costs more to charge at 120vac than at 240vac for the same amount of kWh added to the battery. Despite recognizing that, some of us use the 120vac slow charge in winter to keep the battery warm for the overnight charge.

Back