1 MONTH OWNER 2012 MIEV

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magellan

It's fun to drive, and after the laughter was done at work, most people actually think it's a pretty cool car. My drive is 40 miles round trip; no problem in warm weather, but living in Michigan it is unpredictable from day to day and winter is coming quickly. Cold is obviously the killer. I do wish it had the remote. It does seem IMO the battery is degraded more than it should be, so I called the Mitsubishi dealer to have it tested. 67 miles at full charge seems low. Comments?

No doubt this has been discussed countless times, but what is the combustion heater system people are using? $500-600? Ouch! Link to the cheapest solution please and thank you. I've used the OEM heater in the morning and can make it home with it off. Of course I don't push it because it's not like I can dump a gallon of electricity into the tank.

I'm tempted to use a Heater Buddy (can hear the hisses already), but one problem with propane is it emits moisture in the air.

The best option, and one that I've already submitted to my company's management, is a charging station at work or at least permission to use a 120v outlet. I've used that a few times with a higher capacity charger (12A) but no doubt sooner or later someone will complain, so that's I a formally requested management's blessing.

Hmm, maybe a really small wood stove would keep things warm and dry.

Welcome to the forum - Glad you're enjoying your 'new' car!

67 miles of usable range is actually pretty good - The EPA rating for the car when new was just 62 miles. How far you can go depends on many things and you will learn over time how to go farther and farther using less and less juice

There are several threads here about the fuel burning heater and if I lived where you do and intended to keep the car for several years, I would install one tomorrow. Probably the biggest gripe the average owner has with these wonderful little cars is the heater's performance - Unlike the air conditioning, the heater is a real energy hog. An outlet at work you can use would be good solution too. If you offered to pay $5 or $10 per month for it, that should keep the complaints of your jealous coworkers to a minumum

Don

I work for a City Transit Bus system. I asked for an outlet to charge and they obliged my request, installing two outlets and designating two parking spots for EV use. So you should ask! I was shocked when they agreed. My company is in transportation and they purchase hundreds of thousands of gallons of diesel fuel per year. So in my little way I'm helping to reduce the cost of fuel by driving an electric car. The small amount of electricity they give me each year comes back to them when hundreds of thousands of people choose to drive electric and that reduced consumption helps to keep fuel prices low.

Great! I bought my "supersized yelly bean" not long ago too!

I got little tool that I use before I plug my charger into unknown place. It tells you if its working and wired correctly. These are available in many stores.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-110V-125V-US-Socket-Plug-Safety-Tester-High-Quality-Plug-Test-Electrical/311939777809?hash=item48a10f4511:g:BlYAAOSw7QNZk4Q6

I heat up my car while plugged in before hitting the road. It may take good 20-30 min with on board heater.

Most people are very uneducated about electricity and don't realize that it only takes 10-20 cents per hour to charge EV.

Also make sure you get the PlugShare and ChargePoint app with account and a card.

iwatson said:
I work for a City Transit Bus system.

Glad to see this, iWatson; EV-owning transit operators have been a serious ally in getting King County Transit to pilot test and then place the largest North American order yet for ProTerra electric buses.
http://www.kingcounty.gov/elected/e...ws/release/2017/January/10-battery-buses.aspx

Chattanooga was one of the earliest users of electric transit buses, and persisted through the dark years after their homegrown manufacturer, Advanced Vehicle Systems went belly up.
https://www.csmonitor.com/1994/0123/23031.html

Any chance the Memphis area will follow in their footsteps?

Hi Aivar
In the morning when I preheat the cabin using the remote, I use the defrost option and I leave the seat heater on the night before, when I shut down .
The defrost option is much quicker and warmer than the heat option & the seat is prewarmed as well.

jray3 said:
Chattanooga was one of the earliest users of electric transit buses, and persisted through the dark years after their homegrown manufacturer, Advanced Vehicle Systems went belly up.
https://www.csmonitor.com/1994/0123/23031.html

Thanks for posting that link, i had no idea how they got started. i was amazed at the city's progressive transportation after walking thru one of the bus charging terminal stations last year when i went to a HCTM concert.

Since he's using a 120 volt circuit tester *and* since he says it takes 20 to 30 minutes to preheat *and* since he says he can charge for only 10 cents per hour, it's pretty obvious he's using the factory L1 EVSE with only 960 watts of power. Actually, getting the car all warmed up in only 30 minutes is pretty good with that little power

If he needs to preheat, some sort of L2 EVSE (or getting the EVSE Upgrade mod done) would really benefit him all the way around . . . . except he won't be able to charge for 10 cents an hour afterwards :lol:

Don

I got my Nema 50amp plug installed and was able to use the heater with the 240v 32amp Level2 I got from ebay and it was toasty in 10min. Most mornings in Oklahoma are in upper 60 this time of the year so the Level1 does fine for me, but when we hit the cold North winds I need to make sure I got my Level2 plugged in.
Also in Oklahoma residents pay about 12cents per kilowatt if I divide all the usage with the total electric bill. Is that low? How much does it cost for you?

Back