Noisy AC radiator fan

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phb10186

New issue this. I noticed the last few times I activated the AC, that there was this graunching on start-up, which I initially got anxious about, but then discovered it to be the AC rad fan on start up only. Once it's at normal RPM, its fine. I cant see anything fouling the fan, nor anthing caught there, so I assume it to be the motor - just wondering if anyone else has had this issue... car is a '12 and done 14K miles, and I rarely use the AC anyway.

Problem is there isnt much space to inspect or work there...

Just had the time to inspect and fix this.

Removed the plastic tray on the front underside of vehicle and two of the rubber feet bushings on the AC compressor were missing, which meant that the AC body was rattling on the cross bracket that it sits on. Poor design, as 3 of the 4 feet are just bump stops, allowing the unit to move, and only one of the rubber bushings is actually secured with a bolt through from the frame to the AC unit.

The fix was a bit makeshift, but involved fabricating two new feet and cable tying them in place. I then made a figure of 8 from 2 cable ties and secured to each of the four feet, connecting the AC unit to that frame, but allowing some lateral movement as before. I think the amount of movement needed is about 8mm or 1/4 in - so that's the tension on the fig of 8 cable ties.

It may work its way loose again I suppose, but that will be in a while, and it's secured for now...

Hello, any links on where to purchase rubber feetings in Canada or US for compressor brackets ?
Thanks

phb10186, thank you for bringing up the problem and then following up when you found the cause and then providing the solution. I'm sure we'll be experiencing these types of issues as the cars age.

yannd, should be able to find such items at your local hardware store or on Amazon or eBay or this outfit:

https://www.rubberfeetwarehouse.com

I'm pleasantly surprised at the neatly-organized behind-the-counter collections of small items that local hardware stores carry which, for example, Home Depot doesn't.

Whenever I dispose of a piece of gear I usually strip things such as this off to save for a rainy day... some call it hoarding. :roll:

Back