RobbW

Re: I Smoked a Porsche at a Stoplight Today!

Mon May 22, 2017 1:37 pm

In my daily commute to/from work, I get plenty of opportunities to race other drivers off the line. My daily commute probably accounts for 95% of all opportunities I've had for racing off the line. All these opportunities on my commute come at points where one lane ends a very short distance after the stoplight. Unfortunately, the distance to the merge point is usually juuuuuuuust shy of where the i-MiEV really comes into her sweet spot. That's why I say that 2-second ramp-up delay is a freaking fun killer! If I had immediate and full power to the wheels, or just a little bit more distance to the merge point, I'd probably have better luck.

It's very likely that other i-MiEV drivers who post about smoking ICE cars off the line just drive in environments that are more conducive to showcasing the i-MiEV's strengths. In my usual experience, the conditions are unfavorable, and I mostly get smoked myself. So, I've given up and stopped trying. I've instead resigned myself to demonstrating responsible, efficient driving.
Clear Skies,
Robb

EV: 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV SE, Raspberry Metallic, Premium Package - Purchased 07/11/13
PHEV: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica eHybrid, Bright White, Platinum Package - Purchased 05/01/17

rkarl89203

Mon May 22, 2017 2:24 pm

Understand, RobbW.
Understand.

veimi

Mon May 22, 2017 5:16 pm

The guy that I "beat" had a multi racing-colored Porsche with advertising decals and a very loud muffler.

I don't know whether he knew that I was going to floor it and he may not have been ready, but from the sound of his engine and his shifting he sure tried very hard to catch up.

RobbW

Tue May 23, 2017 11:50 am

rkarl89203 wrote:Understand, RobbW.
Understand.

BTW, I started reading the thread on your Rt. 66 journey yesterday. I'm only about halfway through all the pages. You just got out to Cali where I left off last. I just want to say that I am thoroughly impressed with your journey. It takes a lot of guts and planning to embark on that kind of adventure in our i-MiEVs. Cudos to you! I doubt I would be so daring. I also wouldn't have the time to do it, either, but that's beside the point! I'm just completely in awe that you were able to drive all the way out to Cali in the i-MiEV. Holy cow!!!!!!
Clear Skies,
Robb

EV: 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV SE, Raspberry Metallic, Premium Package - Purchased 07/11/13
PHEV: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica eHybrid, Bright White, Platinum Package - Purchased 05/01/17

rkarl89203

Tue May 23, 2017 4:09 pm

It was a challenge...thats for sure.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”