veimi

I Smoked a Porsche at a Stoplight Today!

Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:54 am

While testing my 2012 SE after a winter's hibernation I came to a stoplight with a very noisy small Porsche beside me, decked out in racing colours and a large PFAFF Tuning logo.

I didn't look at him and when the light turned green I floored it although I was only in Econo mode.

Judging from the noise of his engine, he tried but couldn't catch me up to the speed limit of 60 km/hr (36 mph) where we both backed off.

At the next exit ramp he roared off into the sunset at full throttle.

What are car enthusiasts going to do in the future when it is no longer necessary or possible to impress people with a noisy muffler?

kiev

Re: I Smoked a Porsche at a Stoplight Today!

Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:36 am

That's the most fun about driving Electric -- the great low-end torque off the line.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

JoeS
Site Moderator

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:35 pm

... and it's even more fun at the next light to just slowly pull out while the other guy roars off at full throttle attempting to regain his dignity. :twisted:
veimi wrote:I didn't look at him and when the light turned green I floored it although I was only in Econo mode...
Fully-depressed accelerator performance is the same in D, Eco, and B.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

veimi

Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:08 pm

JoeS wrote:Fully-depressed accelerator performance is the same in D, Eco, and B.

Thanks. Who knew, but it makes sense.

I was aware that the throttle profile is different in ECO mode at least, but it only makes sense to have full throttle the same in each mode.

Don
Site Moderator

Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:21 pm

That's why I drive in 'B' 100% of the time - Same performance in the 'go mode' and max regen in the 'slow mode' :mrgreen:

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon
2006 Itasca Navion Sprinter Motor Home

JoeS
Site Moderator

Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:40 pm

Oh, and performance is better with a fully-charged battery - something I believe Consumer Reports neglected to do in their 0-60 testing (they were clueless on so many levels). While on this subject, it would sure be nice if someone could figure out a hack to remove that 1-2 second ramp-up delay after one stomps on the accelerator.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

RobbW

Mon May 22, 2017 10:50 am

JoeS wrote:While on this subject, it would sure be nice if someone could figure out a hack to remove that 1-2 second ramp-up delay after one stomps on the accelerator.

This is why I pretty much always roll my eyes whenever I see someone posting that they smoked such-and-such car off the line. Whatever! It's highly unlikely you're beating a tuned Porsche off the line with a driver chomping at the bit. If you did, in fact, beat them off the line, there was most likely some other explanation other than the "performance" of your i-MiEV. I assume the other driver was probably texting and didn't notice the green light for 4-5 seconds.

There have been VERY few instances where I've beaten another driver off the line. Those instances only included other drivers who were not expecting/anticipating a race off the line and were very late to the throttle, or other cars that looked/sounded like they'd probably cough up a lung if their drivers actually stomped on the go pedal! Anytime I was at the line with another vehicle that was ready and prepared to beat me out, I've pretty much always lost.

That 2-second ramp-up delay is a freaking killer to having any fun off the line!
Clear Skies,
Robb

EV: 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV SE, Raspberry Metallic, Premium Package - Purchased 07/11/13
PHEV: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica eHybrid, Bright White, Platinum Package - Purchased 05/01/17

rkarl89203

Mon May 22, 2017 12:39 pm

I beat people off the line a lot.
Of course i am not afraid of leaving the cars usual range either.

I refuse to put down the performance of this fine EV.
Just completed a 5,900 mile trip in it and beat quite a few folks off the line.

But to each his own.

RobbW

Mon May 22, 2017 1:00 pm

I used to beat people off the line, too, and frequently. However, it was never other drivers who were ready for a race, paying attention to the light, and reacting with precision timing. I had alert soccer moms in Toyota Camrys beat me off the line. I'm just saying that in most of my experiences at stoplights, the times I have handily beaten other drivers off the line is when they weren't expecting a race and weren't putting up a fight.

And after four years of driving my Meepster, I'm not really interested in racing anyone anymore anyway. Let 'em whoop me in the other lane. These days, I'd rather conserve my energy and extend my range. I don't really have anything to prove. Besides, while beating an ICE off the line may be initially satisfying, I then start to feel guilty when I realize I just encouraged another driver to burn a crap-ton more fossil fuel than was necessary. And for what? Vanity?! The whole reason I'm driving an EV is to conserve energy, reduce my carbon footprint, reduce fossil fuel use, and be a champion of cleaner energy. It would be very hypocritical of me to encourage ICE drivers to waste fuel racing my little bug at stoplights!
Clear Skies,
Robb

EV: 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV SE, Raspberry Metallic, Premium Package - Purchased 07/11/13
PHEV: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica eHybrid, Bright White, Platinum Package - Purchased 05/01/17

Aerowhatt
Gold Member

Mon May 22, 2017 1:16 pm

RobbW wrote:There have been VERY few instances where I've beaten another driver off the line. Those instances only included other drivers who were not expecting/anticipating a race off the line and were very late to the throttle, or other cars that looked/sounded like they'd probably cough up a lung if their drivers actually stomped on the go pedal! Anytime I was at the line with another vehicle that was ready and prepared to beat me out, I've pretty much always lost.

That 2-second ramp-up delay is a freaking killer to having any fun off the line!

In two years (plus) of driving the i-MiEV I have had seven front row off the line contests with other vehicles where it was definitely a two party participation event. How do I know this? Well they were next to me looking and expressing various levels of amusement at my car. The universal hand signal for (show me what you have got) was given and acknowledged. The i-MiEV beat them all to the speed limit (sometimes only by half a car length). Mostly late model "muscle" cars (Avenger, Firebird, Camaro) Presumably V6 equipped with auto transmissions. The i-MiEV is no slouch, in fact in it's class . . . it's a dominator. But it's real strength is not off the line but at speed in freeway traffic. I have out run BMW's, Audi's, Mercedes, you name it, maneuvering the freeway when they are cluelessly, or purposely, trying to slam the door on my desired slot. Haven't raced a Porsche but I have driven a number of them over the years. They are in general, more fast cars (good handling) than quick off the line cars.

A salient point to your critique is the example of a "tuned" Porsche. An i-MiEV is always perfectly tuned!

Aerowhatt
(July) 2014 cool silver ES, acquired new 4/2015 (40.9ah at ~34K miles)
(Aug) 2014 Labrador Black Pearl ES, acquired new 3/2016 (39.7ah at ~20k miles)

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”