New iMiEV in Japan gets 6 regen levels like the Outlander PHEV

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. Their global site doesn't mention this, but show the "new" i-MiEV in three new colors: Red Metallic, Lightning Blue, and Chocolate Brown.

Here are a couple of pictures I found on the Japan site (while everything on the page is in Japanese, the links show up in English in my browser, so I can still find my way around ;) .

sty00_im_08.jpg

sty00_im_09.jpg

It still has the 3-position gear selector, but there are now paddles at the steering wheel. Perhaps the 3 drive modes have adjustable regen now?

Regardless, it's hard for me to get excited about the i-MiEV's future anymore. The last piece of mail I got from Mitsubishi shows their full lineup against a dark Chicago skyline, and every vehicle except the i-MiEV were light colored. The only way I saw that the i-MiEV was on there was because the amber turn signal lenses stood out. Someone glancing at it would never see it.

It does look like there are several paddles attached to the steering wheel in the pictures - Nice addition

Don

PV1 said:
Regardless, it's hard for me to get excited about the i-MiEV's future anymore.

I was surprised they even updated the iMiEV. Its so dated now, only a very cheap price could keep it moving out the dealerships.

The steering stalks and paddles in that picture look pretty much identical to my PHEV. I really like the paddles in the PHEV, especially on long downhill roads where you can click through the regen levels to maintain a constant speed instead of using the brake pedal. Most owners are annoyed however that the car powers on in B2 (apparently to make the car feel like an ICE), so 3 clicks to get max regen (B5). B0 is great for hypermiling, like shifting the iMiEV into neutral which I've tried a few times but don't bother doing in the iMiEV.

zzcoopej, thank you very much for this post. BTW, I'm presently just down the road (940km) from you in Melbourne, flying down to Hobart today.

The new i-MiEV paddle arrangement sounds marvelous! I've been promoting paddle-actuated regen for over ten years, ever since I added the joystick to my Gen1 Honda Insight. Fingertip control over the throttle and regen is so much easier and elegant than using one's foot, IMO. :ugeek:

I'm afraid the proprietary Mitsu interface makes me not even want to tackle the possibility of retrofitting my existing i-MiEVs with this feature. :evil:

So, how to bring one of these new Japanese versions into the US…? I also like the narrower width and don't mind RHD. Don't suppose technical restrictions removal will be included with the alleged upcoming massive rollback of our US regulations? :roll: :lol:

JoeS said:
BTW, I'm presently just down the road (940km) from you in Melbourne

Yes I noticed that in another post of yours, welcome and G'day! Sorry about the weather, not sure if Melbourne has been copping it however its regularly sizzling up here. If I get a battery failure, I know why.

JoeS said:
I also like the narrower width

I'll swap you, the only time I like the narrowness is when a SUV passes a parking spot and I get to squeeze in.

Back