Charging timer

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twiin640

I for the life of me do not think I'd ever use this feature. When I get out of my car and need to charge it, I charge it. I don't have any reason to wait for it to start charging later. I'm thinking there has to be a reason that Mitsu would include a feature like this and spend time and money to incorporate it as a fairly major feature of the remote and car. In one article I found online, the reason it was incorporated in the Volt is so that users could take advantage of charging later during off peak hours. Of course this makes sense but I can't imagine that Mitsu or any other car company would spend time and money on a feature so that a homeowner could save a couple dollars. These are major corporations whose "job" is to make money and not try to help the consumer save money. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm thinking there has to be a more significant reason that just being able to charge during off peak hours.

In some areas of the country the difference in rates is massive, as in less than 1/2. Said customers would be very interested in such a feature, could be the difference between a sale and no sale...

I agree some customers could be interested in the feature. I'm not doubting what you're saying, I just can't imagine that such an insignificant feature would cause a no sale. Now the pre-heat and pre-cool function, those are definitely a home run but still wouldn't cause me to not buy the car if it wasn't an available option. I'll keep searching and maybe I'm just dead wrong and the peak charging is exactly why they did it.

I'd like to have a timer on my Turbocord to take advantage of the difference in the electric rates.

See this topic also: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2643

twiin640 said:
I agree some customers could be interested in the feature. I'm not doubting what you're saying, I just can't imagine that such an insignificant feature would cause a no sale. Now the pre-heat and pre-cool function, those are definitely a home run but still wouldn't cause me to not buy the car if it wasn't an available option. I'll keep searching and maybe I'm just dead wrong and the peak charging is exactly why they did it.

So you think some features are valuable to you but not this one? Once the choice is made to provide functions through a remote, adding one more is a few lines of code, nearly free. Other manufacturers have similar functions, the leaf for instance has a phone app. Gotta keep up with the jones some how. Mitsu chpse the electronic dodad rather than the phone route.

I'm glad Mitsubishi went with a remote vs. a phone app.

I have flat electricity rates, but I make use of the remote timer more often than you might think. It's quite handy when I want to get the car close to full but not completely full (for instance, before a bad storm front rolls through). It's also handy when I need the car to charge, but not immediately.

They were adding remote pre-conditioning anyway, so adding timers cost almost nothing, and I'm glad they did.

PV1 said:
I'm glad Mitsubishi went with a remote vs. a phone app.

Why so?

They charge an awful lot for the remote -- presumably an app would be free, and you could throw in a phone for much less than the remote replacement cost. And an app could be a lot more flexible. The only issue I see is, maybe, security, since an app would probably entail putting the car on the Internet, or at least use Bluetooth.

Overhead for Mitsubishi to maintain a set of servers to handle communications, overhead for the owners to maintain a data connection for the car (and maybe a phone if you don't have a smartphone currently), and being vulnerable to cellular coverage (not to mention security issues with connected cars and IOT). Not having to pay for CarWings was one reason among many I choose the i-MiEV instead.

Sure, the remote may be expensive, but it is much cheaper than the backbone necessary for a smartphone app, unless they went the Bluetooth route. I'd be fine with a bluetooth radio in the car to connect to a phone, but I'm hesitant about the car having 2-way internet connectivity (OVMS is 1-way only. It's not programmed to communicate with the car, though I'm thinking of removing it anyway).

twiin640, here's why I like my Remote Timer -

1. I have Time-Of-Use and simply pre-schedule my charging to avoid the VERY high Peak power charges.

2. In order to stroke my battery, I rarely fully charge it and set the timer to stop charging somewhere around 12 bars.

3. Upon arriving home from a hot summer's drive, I like to have the battery pack cool down before I start recharging it.

4. In winter, I'll typically slow charge using L1 (120vac) to keep the battery pack warm throughout the night, but also want to ensure it stops charging at around 12 bars.

5. If I'm going to take a long trip and want to charge to 100%, I then use the Remote to schedule the charging to delay the start and to stop at just about the time I'm going to leave home (thus avoiding leaving the car sitting in a fully-charged state).

Now, in addition to timed charging, I use the Remote to pre-heat or pre-cool the car while it's plugged in and prior to driving it… especially nice to step into a warm car and warm seat in winter.

That said, I think the Remote replacement cost (~$1000) is ridiculous and not worth that price.

I wish there is a "Mountain Top" mode, to stop charge at 90% or so. I heard that the ChevyBolt has this mode.

We have the highest electrical rates in the nation here in Hawaii, but an EV owner can get a "Time of Use" meter that allows big reduction in rates after 9pm, till 7 AM, so the feature that came with me vehicle has been a blessing. My monthly electric bill with nightly use has not gone up more than $50 over the last 5 years of ownership. BUT, my battery degradation has been huge (about 50%+!!!) so I was able to get a commitment from my local dealership, after months of complaining about my low range (even at the dealership with overnight slow charge it only showed 32 mile range!!!), to REPLACE my drive batteries!! I am now waiting for the shipment from Japan to bring the vehicle back for the job, but the low range lately has made it almost unusable, except for the great value of parking at the Honolulu Airport for free while I visit neighbor islands. Looking forward to the new battery, but have ordered a new Chevy Bolt from a dealership in Portland Oregon to use for a coastal "road trip" from Dec to February. Hoping that I can negotiate the charging systems along those highways, but since we will be on vacation, can deal with the adventure of finding a charging spot with a new car that has a 238 mile range!!!! Aloha from Hawaii!!!!

Wow, Chaplain Bill, that is the most degradation I've ever heard of on an i-MiEV. Sure you don't have just a failing cell? Canion data and a 'current MSRP' on the replacement battery would be appreciated. Are there any usage factors that you can imagine contributed to the capacity loss?

JoeS said:
twiin640, here's why I like my Remote Timer -

1. I have Time-Of-Use and simply pre-schedule my charging to avoid the VERY high Peak power charges.

2. In order to stroke my battery, I rarely fully charge it and set the timer to stop charging somewhere around 12 bars.

3. Upon arriving home from a hot summer's drive, I like to have the battery pack cool down before I start recharging it.

4. In winter, I'll typically slow charge using L1 (120vac) to keep the battery pack warm throughout the night, but also want to ensure it stops charging at around 12 bars.

5. If I'm going to take a long trip and want to charge to 100%, I then use the Remote to schedule the charging to delay the start and to stop at just about the time I'm going to leave home (thus avoiding leaving the car sitting in a fully-charged state).

Now, in addition to timed charging, I use the Remote to pre-heat or pre-cool the car while it's plugged in and prior to driving it… especially nice to step into a warm car and warm seat in winter.

That said, I think the Remote replacement cost (~$1000) is ridiculous and not worth that price.

I do like the pre-heat feature and use it a good bit. I completely understand other's concerns about the peak hours and waiting to charge when it's cheaper. Also waiting to let the battery pack cool down before charging. All valid points.

My dilemma was that I was only finding info that the timer was used for charging during off peak hours. As I understand it, the big cost difference between on and off peak electricity isn't everywhere. I couldn't see a major auto manu like Mitsu essentially "throwing in" a feature like that for a small demographic of people that may fall into it. When you throw in all of the different items that the timer feature provides it of course makes more sense to me. I just don't use the feature and I was mostly curious as to how people were using it.

ChaplainBill said:
We have the highest electrical rates in the nation here in Hawaii, but an EV owner can get a "Time of Use" meter that allows big reduction in rates after 9pm, till 7 AM, so the feature that came with me vehicle has been a blessing. My monthly electric bill with nightly use has not gone up more than $50 over the last 5 years of ownership. BUT, my battery degradation has been huge (about 50%+!!!) so I was able to get a commitment from my local dealership, after months of complaining about my low range (even at the dealership with overnight slow charge it only showed 32 mile range!!!), to REPLACE my drive batteries!! I am now waiting for the shipment from Japan to bring the vehicle back for the job, but the low range lately has made it almost unusable, except for the great value of parking at the Honolulu Airport for free while I visit neighbor islands. Looking forward to the new battery, but have ordered a new Chevy Bolt from a dealership in Portland Oregon to use for a coastal "road trip" from Dec to February. Hoping that I can negotiate the charging systems along those highways, but since we will be on vacation, can deal with the adventure of finding a charging spot with a new car that has a 238 mile range!!!! Aloha from Hawaii!!!!

I can see how you benefit from the timer. Pertaining to your battery dilemma, I have already started designing an additional battery pack with 90 or 100 amp hour batts to add to my i. It will more than double the range. Even with the added cost of the 2nd pack and the cost of my car I might barely touch 50% of the cost of a Bolt, new Leaf, Model 3, etc. It's a go in my book.

The dealer has decided to replace my degraded battery with a brand new system that has already arrived from Japan. I take it in on monday!!! I am thinking it might be wise to sell the car with the new battery asap, since I ordered a new Chevy Bolt that I will pick up in Oregon before the end of the year. BUT, most prospective buyers of my I-Miev might not appreciate the value of a NEW drive battery, and I will get a low price, just based on the year and mileage (over 65,000 on my 2012). I might be better off keeping the car?! I can't wait to see the new range indication with a new battery. Lately it only showed 32 miles with an overnight charge at the dealership, so they had to agree to a replacement. They treated me fairly.

I love the delay charging feature of the remote, and use it almost everyday.

In the summer I only charge to 80% and delay charge late at night when it's the coolest.

I also delay charge to 100% but make sure it's as close to my leaving time as possible (I don't like having the pack at 100% for hours and hours).

In the winter I charge when I get home (charge when pack is warm) but I set the remote to stop charging after X amount of time or to 80%.

Loving the imiev,
Brian.

My car is ready for pick up today, with a brand new drive battery!!! Can't wait to see what my new range is. Maybe I will keep the car, even though I ordered a new Chevy Bolt, since I doubt I would get a price for selling that takes into account a brand new battery that starts my 10 year warranty all over again!! I will charge the new system to 80% and try to be more sensitive to battery condition so this new battery lasts longer than my original one. Aloha!!

pbui19 said:
I wish there is a "Mountain Top" mode, to stop charge at 90% or so. I heard that the ChevyBolt has this mode.

Yes that would be really nice!!

I have flat rate electricity but like to delay charging every day. Firstly I'm trying to help out my local utility company by reducing peak load and increasing overnight base load (nice guy right? :) ).

Second, in the hot months the battery spends less time fully charged and is kept less warm overall. (good for longevity)

Third, it's super easy since both our EVSEs have built in push button timers. (wouldn't use the Mitsu remote timer near as much, Wife wouldn't use it at all).

I do love the remote climate control though. Great to warm up or cool down the car while feeding the pets in ones pajamas before starting the day officially.

Aerowhatt

Anyone measured the coolant temperature rise after a full recharge? My i-miles have fallen off for a great reason- the wife is driving it more, as I've revived an old RX-7 conversion and am commuting in it. (privately dubbed JRAY's Golden Arrow, thanks to Malm! :p ) With 1188 lbs of flooded lead-acid, it's a real lead sled.

Anyway, I placed an aircooled Manzanita Micro PFC20 charger in a cabin cargo cubby and have found that a slow overnight charge at 10 amps is enough to keep the windows clear and the interior noticeably warmer after a long and dewy 40 degree night... Charging at a full 20 amps on a timer would certainly improve this side benefit.

As modern lithium charging is more efficient, we'll have less waste heat to capture, but I wonder how hard it would be to use?

Back