Maintenance ??

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marathonor

Hello !
I have my car for nearly a year in a few days (SE 2012 40 000 km) and never thought about any specific maintenance...

Could you please remind/share with me the 'real' recommended maintenance for our little car ??

Thanks in advance.

Olivier

Check the level and condition of the oil in the gearbox, @40k kilometers there is an argument for changing it but it is not req'd.

Check brake pads and linings, likely fine.

Cabin air filter, replace.

Personally I'd change the brake fluid around that mileage and time, say after 4 or 5 years.

Well, I guess it had to happen. After only 4 1/2 years, the maintenance on car #1 (the one we bought new in May of 2012) is really starting to get out of hand - I had to buy a new wiper blade for the back window. I suspect it's early death was caused by the sun shining on it when we leave the garage door open. Gotta remember to close that before the sun shifts around to that side of the house in the afternoon! :lol:

Don

:lol:

I do have one major maintenance item due for replacement, my 12 volt battery. The car sat last weekend, and I come out to find it completely dead. My LED dome lights wouldn't even light up. The battery had 4 volts across the terminals when I went to revive it. Shopping around, the local auto parts store has a 151r battery for $140 :shock: . I think I'll utilize a 12 volt LiFePO4 battery I have lying around.

Now that I think about it, I had to replace the battery in car #1 last year too - I used a $99 AGM battery advertised for a Mazda Miata

Don

I personally don't classify the 12v battery or windshield wiper or carkey battery replacement as 'maintenance' - I think of it as routine wearout item replacement, as required. All three of my 2012 i-MiEVs still have those as originals (except for one carkey battery replacement a few months back). Sure wish the 12v batteries would die so I can replace them with very small and inexpensive AGMs.

For me, maintenance consists of a monthly tire pressure check (those SE rims must be porous, as my tire pressure drops 3-5psi/month), fluid checks every three months (nothing has needed fluid since new, and that includes the battery and windshield washer), and the most onerous maintenance task: super cleaning the inside of the windshield every three months. Once-a-year lookover under the car to wiggle the suspension components and check the driveshaft booties usually suffices unless something gets bumped. After five years it may be time to lube the door hinges...

Now that the newness has worn off, I'm back to my old habit of waiting to wash my car once every five years, whether it needs it or not (no salt on California roads except maybe in the mountains). :roll:

One of these nice sunny days I'll get ambitious and change the brake fluid in all three cars in quick succession. Reading this thread reminded me that I've been remiss about checking the differential, but no visible leaks had made me lazy...

Olivier, if all else fails, have a look at the maintenance manual which provides a schedule based on mileage. Let us know if you don't have one and one of us can scan ours in and post it.

Sigh, gotta replace the front tires in Moto now that the rains are here (yay!).

Thanks a lot for taking time to reply that's very appreciated. I will be interested to do fluid change myself as I'm not a big fan of dealers pratices. For the rest I take great care of my car and will this year put stuff for rust because of the salty winter in Quebec.

Back