New Owner from Spain

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mponsn

Hi,

I bougth a 2013 IMIEV with 74.000Km on it 6 days ago. I am really happy with it, it had save me 80€ on petrol just on those 6 days. With my daily driving I think I could recharge it every three days, but I'm still no so confident so I recharged it every second day.

The only two drawback I found, and I can't blame the car for them, is that the normal charger port is at the wrong side for my garage, and also when I'm reversing to park it between other cars I can't see the car behind, so I must learn how to park without cameras or park sensors again.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!!

Once you decide where you'll usually park, it's easy enough to install a new electric socket for the EVSE near the rear passenger side of the car

Don

FWIW, the end of the slab in my garage is about 1" higher than the driveway. In other words, it ends and drops down then the garage door comes down 6" or so further out. I run my J1772 lead right in that corner and leave it there with the handled stored in the center area between the two cars. I drive over it twice a day, it is protected snuggled in the corner, the tire never hits the wire.

I also have a J1772 wall mount port on the outside garage wall, if I need to park outside I run the wire under the door and around the corner and coil up the wire on the outside wall mount. If I do that I push a small block of wood against the side of the wire to serve as a door stop.

In order to be able to use my other car without having to move the imiev, I need to place it really close to a corner, so I can't access the rear and rigth side of the imiev.
I can leave it in neutral push it, plug the charger and then push it backwards, but it seems it won't charge while not in Park and the key is out.

Thanks

I know the owners manual says it's a no-no, but you can charge using an extension cord. So long as you use a #14 or a #12 wire (2.0 to 3.3 sq mm) it's perfectly safe to do so. Keep the extension as short as possible (10m or less) and you can charge it pretty much where ever it's convenient to get to the passenger side of the car

Don

Here in the states, Mitsubishi offers backup sensors as a dealer-installable option. Maybe something is available from your dealer?

Congrats on the purchase.

I'll ask the dealer, my car was their demo unit and I'm thinking if they ever sold one, so I'm not sure if they will know the different options available.

Thanks

I just noticed you're from Valencia - My Ford was built at the plant there. Small world!!

Don

mponsn, let me also welcome you to the forum! As someone who particularly likes to back into parking spots, I am having trouble visualizing the problem with your normal parking spot and the charging port being on the 'wrong' side which wouldn't be solved by backing in. If the side mirrors are properly adjusted, backing into just about anywhere with the i-MiEV is a piece of cake without the backup camera.
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2485

The need of a rear view camera is to help while parking between other cars, as with my twins car seats I can see nothing through the mirror when getting really close to the car at the rear.

At my garage I can park with no problem, but too close to the wall so I can't access de charging port. I'll try to attach some pictures to show you

IMG_7046.jpg

IMG_7047.jpg

IMG_7048.jpg

The need of a rear view camera is to help while parking between other cars, as with my twins car seats I can see nothing through the mirror when getting really close to the car at the rear.

At my garage I can park with no problem, but too close to the wall so I can't access de charging port. I'll try to attach some pictures to show you

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0k40tkmgzx3fr91/IMG_7046.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/euc49j0qa67twhj/IMG_7047.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6dzlxrer13uhwn/IMG_7048.jpg?dl=0

Looks ideal to me if you mount your EVSE in that rear corner (very short cord then needed) and park with some space to the rear wall so you can walk behind the car. If you have enough clearance between the wall and your car for the mirror, then you should have enough room to reach around and insert the charging plug. I didn't understand why you need to park so close to either wall, as from the photos it seems there's enough room between the cars.

BTW, dropbox doesn't like the active display of their images, so you might simply change your post to show the link urls.

Doing it that way I can use the Range Rover without to have to drive the IMIEV out of the garage, If I leave more room I can't. I could plug the J1772 at the car and then push it backwards, but it seems that to let it charge the key has to be out and in Park. So when I finally get the IMIEV where I want I have to plug the charger at the wall side to start the charge which, if I'm not wrong, It's not recommended

Phximiev said:
I can't see pictures in his post at all.

If using chrome, right click on the link and choose open in a new tab.

Dunno what to tell you on charging but that parking situation is insane. All I can say if you must park it tight to the wall like that is pull in rather than back in and climb over the shifter / exit the passenger side. Or park it outside and run an extension cord...

mdbuilder said:
If using chrome, right click on the link and choose open in a new tab.
That works in Firefox, as well.

Umm...sell the Range Rover? :lol:

Does the i-MiEV have to be tight against the back wall? What if you park both cars at a slight angle?

JoeS said:
...and you think you have a tight fit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_kDNjPAjJI

Vinu is the man! Notice his perfect elevation for egress- surely planned that way. Interesting that his motorized platform rolled itself out but he pushed it back in. Perhaps not qyute up to the return load.
My wife would love to pull approximately into a spot and then have automatic adjustment/car stowage. Auto park would be a far bigger selling point than wireless charging for her.

Back