Look What You Guys on This Forum Made Me Do!

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veimi

Retired Electrical Engineer here. I always wanted an electric car. No special reason, just for fun.

Two years ago I investigated buying a new 2014 smart ED $19,000 Canadian dollars all in, taxes, delivery, rebates, incentives included. I almost bought one, but I already owned a 2005 smart diesel Cabriolet and I couldn't justify the extra expense.

Two years later I found a used 2014 smart ED of the same colour and 11,000 Km at a BMW dealer, $14,900 before taxes, reduced to $13,900, reduced again to $12,900. When I finally decided to call, it had already been sold.

Because after visiting Autotrader I get targeted ads, I received an ad for a used 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV with a CHAdeMO port, $10,500 Canadian, 50,000 Km. I had read a little about i-MiEVs, but had seen only 2 in my life, one at a dealer and one on the road. Kind of cute, but its looks began to grow on me, sort of like some of my old girlfriends.

I was extremely fortunate in finding this forum and after reading many of the technical posts from some very clever i-MiEV owners on this forum and also learning that some American lease returns were going for very reasonable prices I made an offer of $9,000 Canadian before taxes and am now the proud owner of a very good condition car.

So far I have driven only about 100 Km but I had a few subjective impressions.

1. The car ride is way smoother than my smart car. Bumps and ruts on the road on the smart are teeth jarring. The i-MiEV is like driving a large luxury car in comparison.

2. Because the car has 50,000 Km on it, I was worried about battery degradation, but after my first 8A level 1 charge I got an RR of 120 Km which I realize is only a preliminary indication, but I have downloaded Canion and am waiting to get the correct OBD2 bluetooth link.

I hope that I might in the future to be able to make a contribution in some fashion to this forum.

Great forum! Thanks. I am very pleased with the car.

Back