San Francisco BayMiEVers

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeS

Staff member
Before our group gets too large, I'd like to invite San Francisco Bay Area iMiEV owners over to my house for a social get-together. I live in Los Altos Hills, a couple of miles up from Foothill College. We can plan on some pot-luck munchies, pizza (or something healthier), and some liquid refreshments. For those coming a significant distance, I can provide one Level 2 EVSE and at least three more 16A 240vac outlets - two NEMA L6-30, one or two 6-20, and any number of conventional 120vac 5-20 and 5-15 outlets. I have a neighbor with a Leaf so we can mooch off his EVSE as well.

We can have a short meeting, with the following suggested agenda -

1) Introduce ourselves individually
2) What to call ourselves? SF BayMiEVers (pronounced Baymeevers), for example
3) A brief "Hypermiling the iMiEV" presentation
4) Open question/answer discussion on any aspect of the iMiEV
5) Follow-up, if any

Just to get a feel for our numbers and for those who might be interested in coming and what day/time availability might be suitable, either chime in on this thread or else let me know with a PM. After I get some feedback we can set something up (or some alternative) and we can take it from there.

MtnViewMark said:
Sounds lovely - we're interested - but with two small kids I can never be sure of when will work!

Fantastic advice. Always nice to see someone who has come out the other side?

OK, the weather for this coming Saturday March 3 is looking good, and a number of you had expressed a preference for Saturdays.
If you could PM me with your time and munchies-to-bring preferences and your contact information I will send you directions on how to get to my house and the time. I'm thinking mid-morning to mid-afternoon.
Anyone have a projector for the presentation?

JoeS said:
OK, the weather for this coming Saturday March 3 is looking good, and a number of you had expressed a preference for Saturdays.
If you could PM me with your time and munchies-to-bring preferences and your contact information I will send you directions on how to get to my house and the time. I'm thinking mid-morning to mid-afternoon.
Anyone have a projector for the presentation?

PM Sent. :p

I can borrow/bring an old NEC DLP a projector for the presentation. If anyone has a newer projector, it would most likely be better than this old one.

OK, the get-together is scheduled for 10:00am this coming Saturday, 3 March, in Los Altos Hills. Confirmed coming are jennrod12, jjlink, and WeeJohn, with possibly another i-MiEV owner from San Jose. Haven't heard back from MtnViewMark. In addition to comparing notes and socializing, we'll be having brunch munchies with coffee and a brief meeting. Anyone else interested please PM me. Thanks.

The first San Francisco BayMiEVers get-together was held today (March 3, 2012) for what was probably the first iMiEV owners' gathering in the US. :?: WeeJohn and jjlink each drove about 30 miles, MtnViewMark lives closeby, whereas jennrod12 rode her bicycle about 20 miles (uphill) to get here. FreqFlyer and another iMiEV owner (from San Jose) were each out of town and sent their regrets. My kind neighbor loaned us his Leaf's EVSE so both WeeJohn and jjlink were able to fully charge before heading off for home. We had a meeting where I did a boring presentation on hypermiling, MtnViewMark showed the iMiEV's impact on his home electric bill and the resulting costs (minimal compared to an ICE), and we had a number of interesting discussions on wide-ranging topics concerning the iMiEV. I wish to thank everyone for coming and bringing the munchies, and we agreed to meet again in the not-too-distant future to show off our unique vehicles to the public. The following three photos, starting from left, show Jenn (red sweater) and my wife with our Mitsi between them, then WeeJohn with his black iMiEV, then jjlink with his silver one, and finally MtnViewMark, also with a silver "i".
IMG_3264BayMiEVers.jpg

IMG_3266BayMiEVers.jpg

IMG_3267BayMiEVers.jpg

:idea: Many Thanks to JoeS for hosting the get-together as well as the hypermiling info. Also thanks to you neighbor for loaning us his Leaf's EVSE. :idea:

Info: the California $2,000 rebate for buying a Clean Vehicle can be applied for here: http://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/clean-vehicle-rebate-project

Also someone ask about my custom license plate frame which came from http://www.plateframesonline.com at a cost of $22.49. I think WeeJohn said he may be able to get the lettering at lower cost. In any case this is what it looks like (Note:the font name is "Demonized"):

100% Electric by JJLINK, on Flickr

Thanks to JoeS and his wife for offering up their (very!) lovely home as a meeting place and arranging enough charging accommodations. I was able to use some of the suggestions in Joe's hypermiling presentation for my successful trip to SF and back (96.3 miles, not all on one charge).

Jenn

jennrod12 said:
I was able to use some of the suggestions in Joe's hypermiling presentation for my successful trip to SF and back (96.3 miles, not all on one charge).

Jenn

Care to briefly share some of the main hypermiling techniques suggested for those of us not on the Continent, I would have loved to have been there but no bridge from Hawaii!

A big thank you to JoeS and his Wife for putting up with us lot, I arrived at JoeS' place with 2 bars flashing and 6 miles RR (had 10 bars when I left Fremont). Had a hypermiling presentation, good company and a full charge. I arrived back in Fremont with 10 bars and 43 miles RR.

Amazing, I guess your talk worked JoeS. :idea:

jjlink said:
WeeJohn said he may be able to get the lettering at lower cost.

Yes, I can make the stickers, I am currently making a black and chrome ELECTRIC sticker for under the i emblem for jjlink to see if he likes it.

Hello BayMiEVers:

I am looking forward to become a new BayMiEVers member =) My I should arrive San Rafael dealer on April 4th very excited!

white es+quick charge

Hi gamegame,

Nice to hear from someone in the NorthBay and I can relate to your anticipation of your new iMiEV.

Unlike the San Francisco BayLeafs, we BayMiEVers are not organized and so far seem to prefer to keep a low profile, although a number of us belong to local chapters of the Electric Auto Association.

http://www.electricauto.org/

We'll see what develops over time and maybe you might want to instigate something in your neck of the woods.

In the meantime, hope you enjoy your new car as much as we do.

The Nissan Leaf forum (operated by the same owner Mike) has 100% Electric license plate frames and stickers. If there's enough interest I think they'd probably do the same for this forum?

Back