(Another) new owner in Massachusetts

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howieb

Hi,

I really thought I would be buying one of these for my wife last year when her car was approaching death, but... she didn't like the seats. I wasn't going to force it upon her. So we got a Civic instead (replacing her 2003 Civic Hybrid). However now my car is needing replacement as well, so I am awaiting delivery of my new 2016 Aqua Marine i-MiEV base model.

Reading this forum led me to a fantastic deal on a 2016 from White Bear Mitsubishi in Minnesota. I found them through the Autotrader website as mentioned here. $19590 + $769 delivery to MA + $1490 maximum MA sales tax - $2500 MA rebate - $7500 federal tax credit = $11849. I'm thrilled. It should be picked up from the dealer tomorrow, and delivered hopefully on Tuesday.

tigger19687 did some of my legwork for me (Thanks!). I noticed the i_Miev at the Mirak lot as well, but never got around to calling. I looked at some new at Michaud, but they just couldn't compete on price. I am in Lexington, MA.

I already have a double din fascia, stereo, and license plate backup camera on order. May order the window deflectors soon.

Anyway, looking forward to everything.

Howie

Welcome to the forum, Howie. Congrats on the new i-MiEV. Awesome color choice. I'm interested to hear how the 2016 model is (mainly, if the stock radio still has a 24-hour clock).

CONGRATS !!!

I am in Bedford next to the Base !

Lexington has the free chargers in the Depot on the far end near the Dunkin Donuts. I think you are suppose to pay the meter, but if you are going to just sit there I but it wouldn't be an issue. I plan on parking there when I go eat at Mario's, which is our favorite !

White bear we SOOOOO good to me, and I would have taken the Blue 'i' but just didn't want to deal with the Excise on a new car ... again :) I am jealous of your color.
And my Daughter doesn't like the seats either, but then again she is a Teen so I don't care

let me know when you get it and we can meet up !

There is also a charger at the VW dealer in Bedford. Behind Burlington Mall is an office building that has 6 chargers (probably best used at night if you go to the mall). If you know how to get to The Tavern On the Square behind the mall, it is at the end of that street -- BTW, go eat there, my son cooks there and they have fantastic food and atmosphere !

PV1, I'll check the clock and let you know.

tigger19687, I would love to meet up. I didn't know the chargers in Lexington were free. I drove up to them the other day and saw the credit card logos, so wasn't sure. Thanks for the tips on the other locations. I'll have to start using PlugShare... unless there is a better app for that? I haven't been to Tavern In The Square, but will add it to the list to check it out.

howieb, welcome to the forum and congratulations with your new purchase.
howieb said:
I really thought I would be buying one of these for my wife last year when her car was approaching death, but... she didn't like the seats.
No telling what determines people's choices of cars or alleged reasons for not liking them; however, once your wife gets behind the wheel and drives the i-MiEV a few times, you may have a problem getting it back. :)

Now that I mentioned Mario's in Lexington, I want to eat there.
I will let you know how the chargers work tonight :)

Congrats howieb! I also bought a new 14 model from White Bear as well. With White Bear's great deals and all the incentives, it doesn't make sense to buy used. Enjoy the car!

tigger19687 said:
And my Daughter doesn't like the seats either, but then again she is a Teen so I don't care
:lol: My son (13) also didn't like them at first, but has since jettisoned the cushion we got to placate him. He now loves the iMiev. Well, maybe that's a little bit of an exaggeration, but he definitely likes it better than walking, or riding in the Leopard.

howieb: Congrats on the iMiev, I really like the color.

PV1 said:
Welcome to the forum, Howie. Congrats on the new i-MiEV. Awesome color choice. I'm interested to hear how the 2016 model is (mainly, if the stock radio still has a 24-hour clock).

My 2014 has a 12 hour clock.

Aerowhatt

davidricardo86 said:
My 2012 has a 12 hour clock too.
Is your 2012 i-MiEV one with the Nav display? If not, could you explain to us how you've set the clock to be a 12-hr clock? Is this perhaps an undocumented in-line bug fix by Mitsu? We have at least three threads on this topic, as 12hr/24hr reprogramming of the 2012 non-Nav display clock was deemed impossible. When we get some definitive answers, I'd like to move these applicable posts over to one of those threads.

Yes!

The car arrived on Monday, Memorial Day, but I didn't have the paperwork to register the car, so (in Massachusetts) I could not legally drive it until I got the car registered, late yesterday.

To recap, the car was shipped from Minnesota, and had an unfortunate location on the truck, location on the truck, loaded backwards, top and front. The not so aerodynamic rear end (when facing forward) became the wind shield for the other cars. When it came off the truck it was *full* of bugs. Other than that, the car seemed great. The next morning, standing above the car in the garage, I noticed a scratch on the roof. The shipper suggested this may have come from a tree branch. It seems like a relatively minor surface scratch and I'm going to get an exterior detailing which should take care of it, and which the shipper will most likely pay.

I'm going to take my first ride this morning to see the detailer :)

PV1, the clock is set to 12 hour mode. I'm not sure it can be changed, but I'll try to figure that out.

Then... Oh all the things I want to do! I'll have many questions which I will post to the modifications forum.

I'm planning to install a double din radio, Pioneer AVH-X3600BHS. I ordered the trim, which is in silver and hopefully won't look too ridiculous replacing the black/silver edge trim that is currently installed. Radio from Crutchfield, trim from here.

I originally bought a license plate holder rear camera, but I've since become aware that I can't obscure the writing on the plate. I'm returning that in favor of something more like the OEM... this.

I'm also going to install a USB/aux port... this

Pictures will follow sometime soon...

Congrats!

On the 2012 ES, the hours go from 0-23, known as 24-hour mode. 12-hour mode means that the hours go from 1-12. I'll play with the radio and see if I can find a way to switch this. I currently have 0-12 show in the afternoon and 13-23 in the morning, opposite of what it actually should be. I have little need to know the hours before noon.

Probably too late now, but the 2-din trim is available in black, just like the 2012 SE Premium model:
1355635043_1995_6%201b.JPG

FYI, If you are looking for Side Airbag compliant seat covers, Costco has them (black) for $20 for both front seats. Fits nice enough (I am not that picky) and easy to install.
I went all over buy the only ones that were seat airbag complaint were either UGLY color, only had one seat cover and was over $20.

I'm a cheapo and don't want to have custom, but could make my own if I need to.

When we meet up you can see them. If you don't have Costco card I can get them for you if you want.

PV1, I considered the black trim... Although I didn't check with a dealer, ricarparts wanted like $180 (even though they have the sliver in stock for $79). I'm guessing through a dealer it's about $125? (I'm not sure where I read that, or if I did).

Worst case scenario I'll just sell it, or eat the $60.

tigger, I was surprised by how thin the seat cover material is. Assuming its like the back seat, it's really thin. I took out the back seat to look for the flat tire kit (which I heard was back there). Is there some trick to getting it out? The covers on both sides of the seat were screwed down, and while there was some green plastic sticking out of one side, it didn't seem that it would be easy to pull anything out of there, and I didn't want to force it.

I took my first drive this morning into Cambridge. Started out with around 63 miles remaining (less with the AC on), and came back with around 30, for what amounted to about 25 miles of travel using the air conditioning. I assume it takes a bit to get used to how to judge range. I put it back on the charger (only 8 amps right now) as I'll be giving my daughter a ride in about an hour. I guess I probably wont add much in an hour.

Debating about upgrading my charger, if that's even possible given that it appears to no longer be the Panasonic charger that is readily upgradable, or going for an L2 charger. What I really need is to find a cheap/free L3 charger nearby :). I'm thinking that if I have to wait 7 hours, it might as well be 14. But I suppose I could get an additional 30 miles range in 3 hours?

Charging rates are:

120 volts, 8 amps: .8 bars/hour or 3 miles of range per hour.
120 volts, 12 amps: 1 bar/hour or 4 miles of range per hour.
240 volt, 16 amps: 3 bars/hour or 12.5 miles of range per hour.
CHAdeMO (level 3): 80% in 20 minutes from 2 bars, 1 hour for full charge. Full charge usually requires a replug at 80%. You'll know if the car stops charging with 13-14 bars.

Why the price jump? (rhetorical unless you happen to know why) When I checked last year they were both the same price. If you decide to sell it, let us know. I'm sure one of us could use it.

For about $1,000, you can pick up a Nissan cord (very similar to ours) that will do both 120 volts and 240 volts at more amps than the i-MiEV can use. Actually, there's a deal on "Open-box" stock for $649.
http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=25

The most I've ever seen my car take to charge on 240 volts is 5.5 hours.

So long as the back seat is the same as the 2012, there are 2 pull tabs iin the front of the seat that you pull forward. Not that easy for it to un-hook.

There are no QC chargers close by or on the way to Cambridge. Looks like one MAY be coming to the Copley Sq area, but it didn't say how long.

Let me know when you want to meet to show me the New 2016 !! We could meet at the Chargers in Lexington.

The EVSE that I have only can charge at 8amps. But I thought the NEW 'i' had the EVSE that you could pick from 8 amps or 12 amps .
I just looked and it does- there should be a button on the plug where the light is. But you have to have a dedicated 15 amp breaker for that.

I just plug it in at night when I get home. mostly around 6pm and it is full by morning. That is from (i think) 5 bars ?
I will have to look more closely.

I got so hung up on the charge times I forgot to mention the tire repair kit.

There is a metal cover over the kit. On the front, there should be two thumb screws that you can remove and take the cover off. I can't remember if there are two towards the back or not. The cover over the EV-ECU requires a screwdriver to remove.

The easiest way to take the rear seat out is to pull up slightly on the middle of the seat and release the two tabs with your other hand. Picking one side up then trying to do the other side usually results in the first clip re-latching.

Only the 2012 US i-MiEV cable can be upgraded. They don't have an option yet for the newer cable.

Back